Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: East Mids, Lincs And S & E Yorks (inc. Humberside)

butler_son

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Dunno if your gritters are like hours but ours don't work sunday. Used to make Monday morning early start interesting as gritters normally came out after I set off for work. Anyway it looks like we've got plenty of grit left as Saturdays grit is still to be seen on the road. Normally they count it out with teas spoon November and Dec and early Jan then start gritting whether we need it or not with the amounts going up closer to spring you get.

Anyway another Snow shower coming in.

Posted

Stop me if I'm just being a grumpy OM... but 'heavy snow' seems to be cropping up a lot - even on BBC - and then they say 'up to 5 cm'!! Get real - heavy snow's got to be minimum 4 or 5 INCHES lying. Anything less is little more than a dusting. The last 'heavy snow' we had was 1989, when power lines came down. Maybe everyone's got so used to almost zero snow that they don't know the difference! Same problem with TV forecasters talking about temps 'plummeting' to -2C. A plummet has got to be at least to -6!!! OK... back to the fun: we've had about 3000 flakes so far, but I'm praying for something heavier! And it's just 'plummeted' to -0.1C in Chilwell... better get the coal in.

Bold forecast Hurricane Andrew, I personally would love to see 5-10cm overnight here, and of course that being topped up later on Monday to around 15-20cm in depth.

Posted

Already 5cm's accumilated here on the grass, closer to 2-3cm's on pavements and other ill-favoured spots. Heaviest snow of the day still falling... really interested to see what depth we will achieve here by sunrise tommorow. I would guess between 10-25cm's.. it really is that unpredictable! :lol:

Stop me if I'm just being a grumpy OM... but 'heavy snow' seems to be cropping up a lot - even on BBC - and then they say 'up to 5 cm'!! Get real - heavy snow's got to be minimum 4 or 5 INCHES lying. Anything less is little more than a dusting. The last 'heavy snow' we had was 1989, when power lines came down. Maybe everyone's got so used to almost zero snow that they don't know the difference! Same problem with TV forecasters talking about temps 'plummeting' to -2C. A plummet has got to be at least to -6!!! OK... back to the fun: we've had about 3000 flakes so far, but I'm praying for something heavier! And it's just 'plummeted' to -0.1C in Chilwell... better get the coal in.

It would have to be prolonged heavy snow to reach 4-5 inches of lying snow. The fact is some of the precipitation will be heavy snow, at other times it will be light or moderate. Perhaps it would have to read 'heavy falls of snow'.

Posted
Very light and scattered showers. :lol:

Light At the moment yes , but look at the development in the north sea just east off yorkshire coast line. There going to continue to back/build and keep pushing inland. Theres a lot of PVA around from now and during tonight/tomorrow. Expect a lot of intensification in the next hour or so.

Edited by Hurricane Andrew

Posted
Yep. Same here :)

Cool! Which area?

I just put the bin out - it's falling thick and fast out there, accumulating on the road and pavement too, I got covered! :)

Posted

We have had snow showers on and off all day, still nothing on the ground except a few grains, hoping for much more tonight and tomorrow. What would you say my chances are? Very suprised to hear off 2cm in Nottingham, well done to you.

Posted

Heavy No shower in Dore and Totley. Me brother just text me with blizzard conditions in gainsborough. which is nice. :lol:

Posted
We have had snow showers on and off all day, still nothing on the ground except a few grains, hoping for much more tonight and tomorrow. What would you say my chances are? Very suprised to hear off 2cm in Nottingham, well done to you.

Well, we've got snow on the ground now, but 2cm is still overkill I reckon! :lol: You should be alright until the mild sector comes tomorrow afternoon...problem with Grimsby being where it is...

Posted
are you going to post it???

Cheers,

when i compress it, you cant see too much, got photo tho

post-1104-1233510643_thumb.jpg