Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: East Mids, Lincs And S & E Yorks Pt 2

pottyprof

Posted
THUNDER IN HULL

SOMEONE MUST OF HEARD IT, SOMEONE CONFIRM FOR ME TOO :)

The dew point can never be higher than the temperature. But the point im trying to make is that with this warm sector, temps need to be kept a close eye on. It could be ice pellets/freezing rain for a short time until the heavy precip comes down.

blizzard here, thunder the lot!!

hehe thunder snow excites me alot, all that should be coming over this way, hope it tops you up alot :cold:

Posted
it sure has will post a video shortly! :)

Not brilliant quality though.

massive 50p flakes here, un believeable :cold::):)

Posted

Some lighter snow moving in now, should be here shortly. Could be close to an hour before the heavier stuff makes a return.

Made some measurents while it's calmer,

Just BELOW 15cm's on grass and other favoured locations.

Just ABOVE 9cm's on pavements, 3-4cm's in roads.

Some drifting too, in my back garden alone we have some impressive drifts which are close to a foot!

Posted
Someone who gets this shower that hit me next, will have thunder snow please confirm when you hear it! thanks, we had 6 large rumbles, 3 of which lasted over 40 seconds with a huge crack.

its coming this way mate, ill let you know :):)

Posted

Heavy snow shower. 4 cm level snow depth on grass, 1.5 on concrete drive. Temp now -1.5C. When's the big stuff expected in Nottingham??

Posted
Heavy snow shower. 4 cm level snow depth on grass, 1.5 on concrete drive. Temp now -1.5C. When's the big stuff expected in Nottingham??

Surprised you have not seen more... you should be getting the showers which are hitting here. Your best snowfall will come this afternoon and through into the evening, as a band of heavy and more persistant snow pushes up from the SE. :)

Posted

Got a good couple of inches in hull now below is a picture and i have also attatched a quick footage of the thunder snow (dunno if u can hear it) its a 3G format, so real player with the plugin, or even quicktime will play it.

Picture

post-4342-1233570244_thumb.jpg

Video

Video_0008.3gp

Posted

just checked depth WOOOOOOOOO meassured to 7cm leveled snow more in places WOOOOOOOOOO

Posted

This is by far the best forecast my local weather station has ever issued.

DAILY WEATHER REPORT

from PITSFORD HALL WEATHER STATION

released at 07:46 AM on Monday, 02 February 2009

GENERAL SITUATION ACROSS THE UK

Frontal systems working in from the east are continuing to deliver heavy falls of snow across a large part of eastern Britain.

FORECAST FOR NORTHAMPTONSHIRE

Much of the county has so far escaped the heaviest of the snow which has gridlocked parts of the south and north. However, we are far from being out of the woods as further heavy snowfalls are expected to drive inland this time affecting parts of central and eastern England including Northamptonshire. The heaviest falls are expected later this afternoon. Coupled with the snow will be a moderate and biting easterly wind. Temperatures today will struggle to get above freezing falling overnight to around -3C. Snow showers are expected to continue this evening and overnight.

OUTLOOK

Tuesday will start off with snow showers, but these should clear during the course of the morning becoming drier later. However, the lying snow and icy surfaces will present a problem during the morning rush hour. The wind will remain moderate, veering south-easterly. Highs tomorrow will reach 3C with another widespread frost overnight with lows falling to -2C. Winds will generally be lighter on Wednesday, from the south-east. and it will be dry for the most part. Some snow flurries are expected during the afternoon, but these should clear fairly quickly. Highs of 2C falling overnight to -1C. Rain is then expected overnight which could produce some treacherous icy surfaces during Thursday morning; this rain tending to turn to sleet and snow later in the day. There is the potential for quite heavy falls across the Midlands once again.

http://www.brixworth.demon.co.uk/updates/weather7.htm

:cold::cold::D

Posted
Surprised you have not seen more... you should be getting the showers which are hitting here. Your best snowfall will come this afternoon and through into the evening, as a band of heavy and more persistant snow pushes up from the SE. :cold:

As always, the biggies are just skirting us in NG9. Hope for better later!

Posted
As always, the biggies are just skirting us in NG9. Hope for better later!

It's not just you...NG7 hasn't quite been fantastic, it's been on and off, occasionally heavy, but not exceptionally so. About 2-3cm covering, slightly more in the drift against the fence.

Posted

More showers beginning to pack in from the North Sea now... potential for some heavier and prolonged showers within the hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Just measured 1 3/4" (4cm) on our picnic table. I live in NG5. Can't wait to get more snow!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy with just a millimetre, as we have had no sticking snow for about 2 years now in Notts! But bring on the blizzards!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAYY :o

Posted

Red warnings now for areas of Yokrshire and the Humber... expect these warnings to spread into Lincs and East Mids shortly... a slightly more organised band of showers is making landfall now and will spread into Eastern areas within the next hour or two, could give another 1-2cm's in places, more locally.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Only a few mins between moderate to heavy showers

here this morning.

I've just been out to do an accurate measurement and we're

at 5 cm so far.

BL :rolleyes:

Posted

Measured 4.5 inches on the table in the back garden - so reckon we must be nearly up to 12 cms at the moment with the chance of this doubling by tomorrow morning.

gobby :rolleyes:

Posted
Measured 4.5 inches on the table in the back garden - so reckon we must be nearly up to 12 cms at the moment with the chance of this doubling by tomorrow morning.

gobby :lol:

So why aint you heading for the Westwood with your sledge?

Posted
Got a good couple of inches in hull now below is a picture and i have also attatched a quick footage of the thunder snow (dunno if u can hear it) its a 3G format, so real player with the plugin, or even quicktime will play it.

Picture

attachment=77355:Photo_0106.jpg

Video

attachment=77356:Video_0008.3gp

I dont really mean to be a spoil sport, but thats around a centimetre at best! Look at the road and paths.

Level depth of snow is measured in an open area on hard soil/ground (not picnic tables and walls etc) away from drifting and not on grass.

Thats about what we had here too, I measured it at around 0.5-1cm depending on the area. My parents in Sproatley to the north-east have a little more, around 2cm.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Light Snow off and on most of the morning odd heavier burst. No increase in depth so nothing special so far.

Posted

Had some persistsant snow around 2am this morning then persistant moderate to heavy snow showers this morning which contained 50p flakes.

post-1042-1233574356_thumb.jpg

post-1042-1233574375_thumb.jpg

post-1042-1233574392_thumb.jpg

Posted
I dont really mean to be a spoil sport, but thats around a centimetre at best! Look at the road and paths.

Level depth of snow is measured in an open area on hard soil/ground (not picnic tables and walls etc) away from drifting and not on grass.

Thats about what we had here too, I measured it at around 0.5-1cm depending on the area. My parents in Sproatley to the north-east have a little more, around 2cm.

Come and take a look then, you dont seem to understand that the snow was drifting in the wind, paths on one side sheltered have less covering, opposite side a hell of a lot more.. If i could not measure with a ruler, i wouldnt bother posting.

I heard just north of here and NE they have had 6 inches! wow...

Snow will turn to rain soon for our area, current temp is 1.5c

Edited by Hurricane Andrew

Posted
So why aint you heading for the Westwood with your sledge?

Waiting for the kids to get sent home from school. Would look very strange for a 30 something sledging with a load of kids!! :)

gobby