Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: East Mids, Lincs And S & E Yorks Pt 2

pottyprof

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!
The heavier falls are only just edging into Newark now... something more significant should reach Nottingham within the hour at the very latest I feel. :lol:

It's deffo picked up now! Moderate snow- big and small flakes, quite consistent now too! :lol:

Posted
Quite heavy small flakes here. 5cm deep. Am I in my own little micro climate here as other forumers from Sheffield are postin about when and how much snow when its very snowy already outside.

Id say there will be 10 - 15cm by the time it dies out tonight.

I couldn't understand some of the reports too. Although there was only about 1-2cm here last night, it has snowed alot of the morning with the depth now at a good 5cm after quite a heavy shower at about 13:00, it is now snowing lightly now and we are on the periphery of the heavier, more organised band of ppn.

Posted
Maybes, but there wasn't a great deal this morning when I left - a few inches at work in Sherington outside Newport Pagnell and absolutely hammering it down now. Plotting my escape attempt as we speak.

Was wondering when you were going to show up, hello there. This afternoon & evening was always going to be the the main event for this area so I think the worst is yet to come over the next few hours. Stay safe and take care if you are braving the roads!

precip is pepping up here now too.

Has your username come true yet? :D

Posted

Just got in from work and really not had time to read through the threads yet but my initial reaction this morning is that it was nowhere near as bad as was forecast. It's very snowy here but, outside of estate roads, most are clear and there's no problems at all. No schools are closed in the city and Lincoln is carrying on just as normal.

Just seen some news and I'm really shocked at how badly London seems to be coping - was it very much worse down there?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Heavy snow now here close to Pitsford temp is -0.1c and dewpoint -2.3c, staff starting to get twitchy about getting home, are we supposed to get more snow later as well ?

Edited by jimben

Posted
Just got in from work and really not had time to read through the threads yet but my initial reaction this morning is that it was nowhere near as bad as was forecast. It's very snowy here but, outside of estate roads, most are clear and there's no problems at all. No schools are closed in the city and Lincoln is carrying on just as normal.

Just seen some news and I'm really shocked at how badly London seems to be coping - was it very much worse down there?

A foot of snow has already fallen in and around central London, a further foot is possible this afternoon/evening.

Posted
Even on the wettest surfaces here they are starting to turn sludgy showing signs that settling is imminent. Grass and some pavements being topped up nicely, roads just remaining wet for the time being but I suppose that is a good thing.

Temperature still DROPPING and PPN intensity still INCREASING here. :lol:

Newbie here... fascinating to read all these posts and giving far more useful info than the TV....

Polar Low, I have to drive someone from Louth in Lincolnshire to Newark Station for a 7.30pm train (if it's still running) so I'm quite keen to read your road condition reports for Newark, probably setting off around 5pm to make sure I can get over the wolds. Thanks for all your snow reports so far... hope I can get home again so I can really wish for big snowfalls later. But in the meantime PL, could you include the state of your roads as much as you can tell from your location?

Much appreciated

oh yeah... light snow here (snizzle - snowy drizzle) but not settling, roads just wet, most of what fell earlier has melted

Ian

Posted
Heavy snow now here close to Pitsford temp is -0.1c and dewpoint -2.3c, staff starting to get twitchy about getting home, are we supposed to get more snow later as well ?

Check the m'ways on this site - remembering to click on the camera box once you've chosen your m'way.

http://www.traffic-england.co.uk/motorwayflow.aspx

As for later, for those of you with a nervous disposition, look away now.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Edited by valiant

Posted
Newbie here... fascinating to read all these posts and giving far more useful info than the TV....

Polar Low, I have to drive someone from Louth in Lincolnshire to Newark Station for a 7.30pm train (if it's still running) so I'm quite keen to read your road condition reports for Newark, probably setting off around 5pm to make sure I can get over the wolds. Thanks for all your snow reports so far... hope I can get home again so I can really wish for big snowfalls later. But in the meantime PL, could you include the state of your roads as much as you can tell from your location?

Much appreciated

oh yeah... light snow here (snizzle - snowy drizzle) but not settling, roads just wet, most of what fell earlier has melted

Ian

Ian,

Gritters have been out in force today so the main roads are clear and don't seem to be causing too many problems. Your travel may coincide with the heaivest period of snowfall for this area though - so what conditions will be like once you begin your journey I can't say. Right now though - the roads are not too bad at all. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice
Check the m'ways on this site - remembering to click on the camera box once you've chosen your m'way.

http://www.traffic-england.co.uk/motorwayflow.aspx

Thanks for that, staff all live in Northants so no one has terribly far to travel but of course roads will get gridlocked very quickly as happened around here a few years ago when it some more than 5 hours to go just 10 miles up the road. Still very heavy snow here and settling on all surfaces

Posted
Quite heavy small flakes here. 5cm deep. Am I in my own little micro climate here as other forumers from Sheffield are postin about when and how much snow when its very snowy already outside.

Id say there will be 10 - 15cm by the time it dies out tonight.

You must be. I've got snow here, and had it all day, but on the roads there is nothing....I'm actually higher than you as well! I've probably had a couple of centimetres, but nothing major tbh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Snow is starting to become heavy here in Notts, and is starting to re-stick on the pavement now. Don't know the temp or dewpoint though for here. Snow seems quite "wet" up until now, perhaps temp is finally starting to drop a little? Last I checked it was -0.1C

Posted

Is this all of the main band or will the PPN out to the east and south east intensify and track ne'wards. If not, there doesn't seem enough precipitation to last until the early hours of the morning.

Posted
Is this all of the main band or will the PPN out to the east and south east intensify and track ne'wards. If not, there doesn't seem enough precipitation to last until the early hours of the morning.

Wont be until around 6-7pm until the main lot kicks in

Posted

Check the radar forecast : http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/...cast_radar.html

Also: http://www.meteociel.fr/accueil/radar.php

Still a lot more snow to come. This is only the start of it

Posted

it definately needs to pep up cuz whats down south currently wont amount to anything like 10-20cms

more like 2-5cm

Posted
it definately needs to pep up cuz whats down south currently wont amount to anything like 10-20cms

more like 2-5cm

Again - Remember what the NW radar shows now is only half of the band - if that! Most is still in N France. Look for major developments over the next 3-4 hours.

Posted

Is it just me, or does the snow down in the SE look as if its starting to peter out a bit??? :D

Posted

Different type of snow now falling although im uncertain whether this is to do with the intensity or the less cold upper temps as both can change the type of snowflake falling. At the moment I have moderate snow falling but its the small flake variety rather than any large flakes.

My gut instincts is telling me there won't be 10-15cm of snowfall. Now im fairly certain of this for SE/E Anglia but for our region we are going to need to see the precip to the SE pep up over the next few hrs to coincide with dusk.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY