Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: East Mids, Lincs And S & E Yorks Pt 2

pottyprof

Posted

cheers snow tornado,,we always seem to miss it here,,been to birmingham today which is 18 miles northwest of here and they had 3inches 1inch max here,,,seems strange to of missed it last nite, as it approached from the se......

fingers crossed anyway

Posted
These warnings are getting a little silly now. I'm surprised we didn't apply for international food drops in the early eighties and late seventies.

Just been out in Western park snow melting as fast as any new stuff falls so no increase of depth. About 2.5cm depth so so far nothign to write home about. Should have took my Camera this morning but didn't have time to get it. Dunno why schools have closed Mys mother stuck at home as the old peoples home as closed.

Snow looks a little more impressive on my web cams. http://www.sheffieldweather.co.uk/meso2/index.html some snow falling now I see.

Is the snow moving up from the South east lighter than expected or is the main stuff still to come????

Have you seen some of the pics floating around. 6'' in Beverley. 9'' near london. Think thats why there are warnings around.

In the higher suburbs the snow is piling up, certainly not melting.

Here are a few pics taken at 1pm, massive flakes falling.

post-1042-1233580040_thumb.jpg

post-1042-1233580072_thumb.jpg

post-1042-1233580087_thumb.jpg

Posted

Moderate snow beginning to fall here... I'm confident now of seeing at least 14-16 hours snowfall at a near constant rate. Based on the last shower however, it MAY struggle to settle here and aid the thawing process.. I will have general idea regarding this possibility within the next hour or two. Nevertheless I'm confident of seeing temporary accumilations for a time as nightfall approaches.

Taken a measurement out in the garden, on the grass we had just over 15cm's at our peak and thats not down at 12cm's and starting to look patchy.

No matter what happens though, I'm going to enjoy this! Can't remember a time in the past where I have seen snowfall this prolonged in Newark. :o

Posted
cheers snow tornado,,we always seem to miss it here,,been to birmingham today which is 18 miles northwest of here and they had 3inches 1inch max here,,,seems strange to of missed it last nite, as it approached from the se......

fingers crossed anyway

it was more of an east to west if nt slightly ne to sw slightly. thats probably why, theres about just over an inch here, all the roads are perfectly fine, could do with some heavy stuff to start settling on all surfaces. I hope we get something decent today, but even if not were in the best position to have a chance of more heavy snow friday. just check the snow depth charts. experimental maybe but shows what could happen :o

Posted

Really good signs here now... on every 5 minute update on NW Radar you can see the bands intensifying each time. If the band is getting noticable stronger on the radar every 5 minutes (which it is!) you can imagine what things could look like within 2-3 hours! :wacko:

Posted
Really good signs here now... on every 5 minute update on NW Radar you can see the bands intensifying each time. If the band is getting noticable stronger on the radar every 5 minutes (which it is!) you can imagine what things could look like within 2-3 hours! ;)

thats if it were to continue, ive often found in the past it intensifies for 30mins an hour then dies down then starts picking up again n so on, before it eventually dies away. the ones reporting the deepest snow 10cm+ will be those who happen to be under it as its intensifying, more generally people will probably get 5-7cms i think. Thats if it settles.

Posted
thats if it were to continue, ive often found in the past it intensifies for 30mins an hour then dies down then starts picking up again n so on, before it eventually dies away. the ones reporting the deepest snow 10cm+ will be those who happen to be under it as its intensifying, more generally people will probably get 5-7cms i think. Thats if it settles.

I wouldn't be surprised to see several areas locally seeing fresh falls of 20cm's+ tonight. The main band has not made it onto British waters yet. ;)

Not looking great here though, we had 15cm's accumilated on grass and other favoured locations this morning, but the thaw is well and truly on now, despite the fact that snow is falling. Hoping for a slight temperature drop, at least for a while, as we move closer to nightfall.

Down to around 10cm's on the grass now with much less on the pavements... rooftops becoming clear too.

Posted

40cm's possible in the NE and Yorkshire overnight tonight, over the higher ground.

Andrew, you are just going to have to wait and see. Noone can give you a definitive answer as this range... it's very much a case of keeping track of your temps, dew points, etc.

sorry to be a painguys,,wot direction is the first and second band comin in from?????

It's moving up from France, so SE.

Posted

Northamptonshire still escaping the worst of it but the snow has certainly picked up in the past half hour or so.

Not much on the ground due to a partial thaw in between flurries. Temp -0.4 °C. I remain optimistic the precip will stay as snow :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Looks like we have a good pulse pushing up to Notts now from the SE. Nice big blob on radar, and after about 15 min. of sunshine, its started to very lightly snow now.

Edited by Crimson_Sprite

Posted

Moderate snow gradually turning heavier now as this first band moves NNW. Will be interested to see if this starts sticking again or aids the current thaw.

had a driver in from Newcastle earlier on, he said that it wasn at all bad until about 7 miles from Grantham on the A1 then it started to get quite tricky.

Been snowing consistently since 8am this morning, couple of white outs, roads not too ba where they have been gritted, lying snow not melting, think if we get more accumulations could rise quite rapidly, all schools in Grantham closed, but that not saying much s the usually close at the first whiff of the white stuff.

Posted

westward progression painfully slow, could do with that changing as alot will end up heading north to our east without us having recieved anything.

Edited by SnowTornado

Posted

Well looks like the main snow event is developing.

There are two areas at the moment 1. over my head!, 2. Off Suffolk/Essex coast.

Now the area im particuarly interested is the snow over Essex/Suffolk and how this develops over the next few hrs.

The area of snow thats currently over me is intensifying all the time so those in the Midlands/Lincs need to keep an eye on this.

Also temps on the Essex/Suffolk coast are still at 0C with a DP of 0C so everything is ok in that respect.

A busy afternoon coming I feel!

Posted
  • Location: Melton Mowbray Leciestershire (282ft above sea level)
  • Location: Melton Mowbray Leciestershire (282ft above sea level)
had a driver in from Newcastle earlier on, he said that it wasn at all bad until about 7 miles from Grantham on the A1 then it started to get quite tricky.

Been snowing consistently since 8am this morning, couple of white outs, roads not too ba where they have been gritted, lying snow not melting, think if we get more accumulations could rise quite rapidly, all schools in Grantham closed, but that not saying much s the usually close at the first whiff of the white stuff.

The memories of being at school in Grantham doing my mock exams in 1991 and being sent home now come back to me, great days!

Central School always called time at the first sign of something white on the ground....

Posted
Well looks like the main snow event is developing.

There are two areas at the moment 1. over my head!, 2. Off Suffolk/Essex coast.

Now the area im particuarly interested is the snow over Essex/Suffolk and how this develops over the next few hrs.

The area of snow thats currently over me is intensifying all the time so those in the Midlands/Lincs need to keep an eye on this.

Also temps on the Essex/Suffolk coast are still at 0C with a DP of 0C so everything is ok in that respect.

A busy afternoon coming I feel!

Will change shortly, now raining here in hull! lol what did i say! G....AME OVER

Posted

Much heavier here now and I am pleased to say it seems to be settling once more, as opposed to aiding the thaw. Temperatures dropping away slightly too... expect them to continue to do so for a considerable amount of time, before perhaps warming slightly as the back edge passes through.

Can't believe we have another 10-15 hours of this... I am back to being confident about significant accumilations. :o And there was me thinking I would be looking at green grass without a few hours time! :lol: