Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch Thread For London, Ea & Se England

Posted
Currently the precip that is forecast for you seems further West than thought and is still going in a more North direction than North Easterly meaning its brought places like us back in the game for the time being imo. :clap:

Not so sure about that Blizzards run the 2pm through 5pm radar scans and it is definately NE, Maybe even a touch ENE At present.

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy
Baz

I am just being Realistic, With the angle of the Low etc areas further East of London and away into East Anglia are not favourable for Snow, the same apples to Eastern Kent, I personally cannot see the Rain and Slops turning to Snow until tomorrow sometime and even then only back edge Snow. If I am wrong well we should all be happy.

Paul S

Oh and can everyone turn their Heaters off in South East Essex, Temp now 4c and Dewpoint still 3c, At least this has gone down from the 6c & 5c from earlier

I'll make this my facebook status!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
So are you guys in the South East expecting snow tonight and tomorrow morning? GFS says forget it, BBC says be alert, which one will be correct?

In Harry Hill fashion... THERES ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT... FIIIIIIIIGGHHHTT :o

For what it's worth my prediction is it will start off as snow in Berkshire, Oxford, Bristol etc... Possibly North London and parts like Aylesbury. Then rain for South London and Kent and East Anglia near the coasts like Ipswich, Colchester etc... As the day wears on though and the precip moves back South East in the evening that is when I think it will turn to moderate/heavy snow for the South East and East Anglia. Not too sure about it settling though as a few hours of rain in the far South and East may make the ground soaked.

Good summary.

Think a line can be drawn through central London, West of here all snow, East of this line rain then turning to sleet and snow in the late afternoon

Posted
Yes I think you will do quite well in Ware, in Bishops Stortford, current dew point is -1.3c with a temp of 0.8c and that is north and west of you.

I think you'll get between 5-10cm if all goes as per BBC/MO forecast.

Certainly still time for a change, so may be worth seeing how things look in about 5-6 hours. This event is likely early hours of tomorrow.

I sure hope so! Temp is 0.3c here.

Posted
Good summary.

Think a line can be drawn through central London, West of here all snow, East of this line rain then turning to sleet and snow in the late afternoon

Lol i live west of central London but my school is east of central london!

Posted
Good summary.

does any one know what the chances of west sussex getting snow for tonight?tommorrow?

Posted

Local BBC three counties(beds,bucks,herts) who get there forecasts from julie ranger on lookeast said heavy snow in the morning 5-10cm about 4 inches almost everywhere and then drier in the afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

Man this is madness.

My local council has emailed everyone saying that there is a chance of severe weather and already schools are saying they are closed tomorrow before anything has happened.

Much of the snow has gone from around here now and it's currently raining and as far as I can tell we are (South London) on the wrong side for snow tonight and maybe lucky to get some tomorrow afternoon.

I'd love to get some more snow but all the evidnece appears to suggest it's not gonna happen until at least late tomorrow afternoon / evening.

Posted
Local BBC three counties(beds,bucks,herts) who get there forecasts from julie ranger on lookeast said heavy snow in the morning 5-10cm about 4 inches almost everywhere and then drier in the afternoon.

Almost the opposite to what NW and the GFS model says. I guess we'll just have to wait and see! :o

Posted
what's going on - what's changed ? up to 2pm everyone was going on about several more inches for london, now its wrist slashing time . surely we're going to get something this evening. just been out and its freezing!
Yes the temp. has dropped a lot in the last 2 hours, it will be interesting because of the lack of grit in this county.

Posted
So good people of Herfordshire do you think we will get a lot of snow in the County Town and Ware?

I'm thinking in the region of 6 to 8 inches although i know that the GFS can over do the precipitation.

Posted
Hi I'm new to all this.

Hello and welcome to NW. It's a great place to be during events like this, and the natives are (usually) friendly!

Posted
Almost the opposite to what NW and the GFS model says. I guess we'll just have to wait and see! :o

Tbh NW's forecasts for my area have been rubbish lately...

On monday they said sleet by 12 midday but it did not until 8pm and then it was hardly anything and today the chance of snow was 0% but we had 2 inches so make of that what you will.

Posted

The gfs has been poor lately for me. It was predicding rain for me last night yet i woke up with a covering (very slushy though). On monday it said the snow would turn to rain but it stayed as snow through out. So i believe i shall get snow tonight, also, the temp is 1.6 and dropping steadily.

Posted

temp is 4.0c here and is not dropping in a hurry, cant see any snow here till 6am but i think that would be more on the lines of sleet, just have to wait and see... :o

Posted

The main reason for the disagreement on the direction of the precip currently is that it is heading direcly NE from what i can make out, but at the same time is slightly rotating around the centre of the low back NW-wards.....hence some people think its heading N, some think its heading NE or even ENE. Essentially looking at it now the snowfall area is likely to be a little further north than current BBC forecasts show, i could see it edging into parts of southern worcestershire and warwickshire before moveing SEwards as the front from the NW hits the main band

Id say wiltshire and berkshire could well be the heaviest hit tonight

SK

Posted

Its strange - the Met office 5 day forecast says sleet for me til 3pm then heavy snow - the weather warning is from 2am til 3pm and i am in the high risk area so not sure what to make of it. They also predicted a temp of 6degree today we didnt get anywhere near it. Will the cold be undercutting ? suppose it will be wait and see

Posted
The main reason for the disagreement on the direction of the precip currently is that it is heading direcly NE from what i can make out, but at the same time is slightly rotating around the centre of the low back NW-wards.....hence some people think its heading N, some think its heading NE or even ENE. Essentially looking at it now the snowfall area is likely to be a little further north than current BBC forecasts show, i could see it edging into parts of southern worcestershire and warwickshire before moveing SEwards as the front from the NW hits the main band

Id say wiltshire and berkshire could well be the heaviest hit tonight

SK

i guess it could hit London bang on.

Man this is madness.

already schools are saying they are closed tomorrow before anything has happened.

:lol: :doh: :lol:

Posted

It's really going to be, as many have said, a look out your window and see what's happening 'event'. Currently the BBC and MetO have us down for heavy snow -although if you go by their hour to hour one it's sleet for St.Albans. who knows!? Checking weather forecasts hourly will just send you mad.

Just to throw this one in....not sure what the models are suggesting, but monday 'could' be another hit.

Posted
i guess it could hit London bang on.

:lol: :doh: :lol:

I'm new here so forgive me for saying this but no 1 on here seems to know where the snow will hit, I think that most of us are making a hopeful weather prediction.

It's very confusing and annoying to a certain degree when 1 says this and the other says that I don't know what to believe including the B.B.C.

Posted
It's really going to be, as many have said, a look out your window and see what's happening 'event'. Currently the BBC and MetO have us down for heavy snow -although if you go by their hour to hour one it's sleet for St.Albans. who knows!? Checking weather forecasts hourly will just send you mad.

Just to throw this one in....not sure what the models are suggesting, but monday 'could' be another hit.

Hi again.

Tbh i think we will see snow in the morning and then in the afternoon we could well have similar depths to Mondays event.

Local BBC radio going for 5-10cm in the morning about 4 inches!!

By the way i like the pic on your profile. :doh:

Edited by saint

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Hi there everyone hope you don't mind me dropping in on your thread. I'm driving down from leeds to london later on this evening, probably be in london around 10-11pm and i was just wondering if i am likely to encounter any snow on my journey either there or coming back? Anyone got any ideas of when the precip is gonna hit the m1 and a1? cheers

bb

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

The new fax chart for tomorrow indicates that those of us in the SE corner might well get our turn as the day goes on, right on well into late tomorrow evening and night. The front is just off the SE coast by midnight! There could be a very slow moving SE'ward band of ppn which increasingly turns to snow as the day goes along and crawls its way across us. There could lots of snow in places I think as this is so slow moving - and everywhere could be in the action I think later tomorrow :doh: .

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted
The new fax chart for tomorrow indicates that those of us in the SE corner might well get our turn as the day goes on, right on well into late tomorrow evening and night. The front is just off the SE coast by midnight! There could be a very slow moving SE'ward band of ppn which increasingly turns to snow as the day goes along and crawls its way across us. There could lots of snow in places I think as this is so slow moving - and everywhere could be in the action I think later tomorrow :doh: .

will it not just fizzle out though, or has it got energy through the whole period ?