Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch Thread For London, Ea & Se England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)

I'm so confused (doesn't take much)....at the moment we still have lying snow, fairly dence fog and dropping temps - some say snow for Biggin Hill and others say rain. Experts, what are the chances? :rolleyes:

Posted

Not sure what to make of tomorrow - BBC and MO suggest it will start as snow and fizzle into drizzle on their maps, yet their forecast for my area is sleet. Net-weather and the GFS suggest it will be rain until 1500 before it turns to snow.

Let's hope it's the best of both! :D

Posted
Hopefully your luck will change :)

I think there are too many specific predictions and detail being given for a set up that is basically knife edge and a loose cannon. I would just stick to what I said earlier, that anywhere could see snow by the time all this ppn has cleared away late Friday, early Sat. But as the Met Office are uncertain, of 'who, what time and where' so I doubt any of us are qualified to know any better!

I would ignore some of the speculative predictions being made, not get disheartened and take things as they evolve. Relative to this situation there is an awful long way to go yet :) .

Your welcome :)

I think that is very good advice, not expecting heavy snow now so if it comes it will be a brucie bonus!! :D:D

Posted
Not sure what to make of tomorrow - BBC and MO suggest it will start as snow and fizzle into drizzle on their maps, yet their forecast for my area is sleet. Net-weather and the GFS suggest it will be rain until 1500 before it turns to snow.

Let's hope it's the best of both! :D

For our location i am 100% confident it will be all snow and plenty of it. I really hope though that everybody gets in on the act especially the areas that have not seen all that much and are wondering what all the fuss is about.

Posted
For our location i am 100% confident it will be all snow and plenty of it. I really hope though that everybody gets in on the act especially the areas that have not seen all that much and are wondering what all the fuss is about.

Where abouts in hertfordshire are you tundra?

Posted

Here near Banstead in Surrey we had 12-14inches and we still have 3 inches of lying snow. Today has been the first day that the snow has been loose enough to dig off the patio, the fields behind me are still blanketed with no grass showing, its also been foggy all day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, blizzards, thunder snow, thunder and lightning, heat waves, tornadoes
I'm so confused (doesn't take much)....at the moment we still have lying snow, fairly dence fog and dropping temps - some say snow for Biggin Hill and others say rain. Experts, what are the chances? :D

Id say your chances are higher than most simply due to your high ASL. But whether the precipation actually reaches that far south of central london still remains a mystery. If it does, then you should be quids in.

Posted
How much snow did you end up getting on Monday? only ask as my bruv is in Westcliff and he said they had quite a lot, we had, I suppose 6-8inches and considered it to be a good downfall, do you not expect to get anymore over night/tomorrow morning? and what are your predictions for Basildon? I find it strange that we are so close and yet the impression from your posts is that you expect nothing to happen!

Its rained nearly all day today in Basildon a right miserable old day.

Baz

I am just being Realistic, With the angle of the Low etc areas further East of London and away into East Anglia are not favourable for Snow, the same apples to Eastern Kent, I personally cannot see the Rain and Slops turning to Snow until tomorrow sometime and even then only back edge Snow. If I am wrong well we should all be happy.

Paul S

Oh and can everyone turn their Heaters off in South East Essex, Temp now 4c and Dewpoint still 3c, At least this has gone down from the 6c & 5c from earlier

Posted

We've still got 2/3cm from Sunday night/Monday morning - it's colder here now than the GFS forecasts predicted in the 12z. The BBC and MO are VERY confident that we'll get snow. I'm not expecting it to be as much as Monday though - although I didn't think we'd get more than 10cm then and we have 17cm in places and 15cm everywhere else! I like your confidence! :D

Posted

well the bbc are now down playing the potential for snow for London after the ramp earlier in the day .

remember the Beeb/Meto were forcasting heavy snow for london/ SE from that front Monday afternoon right upto a few hours b4 it was due to hit and we only got light snow . When you get to T-12 for snow its all about observations and nowcasting . I have learnt from bitter experience to expect nothing until u see it falling out of the sky !!!

Posted
Is this the South East that had a foot of snow at the start of the week? Get a grip!

may I suggest you get your facts correct, we in thanet which is in the south east did not have any measurable snow from sunday/monday and we do not seem to be getting anything from this next lot that is due , so just to put the record straight ....not all the south east had a foot of snow!!

Posted

Every time I hear a BBC forecast lately it feels like going back in time, never heard the word disruption used so much since the 80's :clap:

Posted
Id say your chances are higher than most simply due to your high ASL. But whether the precipation actually reaches that far south of central london still remains a mystery. If it does, then you should be quids in.

isn't the area of precipitation moving up from the south coast?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)

Thanks for your reply...I guess it's just wait and see and fingers crossed.

Posted
isn't the area of precipitation moving up from the south coast?

what's going on - what's changed ? up to 2pm everyone was going on about several more inches for london, now its wrist slashing time . surely we're going to get something this evening. just been out and its freezing!

Posted

Yes I think you will do quite well in Ware, in Bishops Stortford, current dew point is -1.3c with a temp of 0.8c and that is north and west of you.

I think you'll get between 5-10cm if all goes as per BBC/MO forecast.

Certainly still time for a change, so may be worth seeing how things look in about 5-6 hours. This event is likely early hours of tomorrow.

So good people of Herfordshire do you think we will get a lot of snow in the County Town and Ware?

Posted

Hi I'm new to all this.

Live in Bury st edmunds.

Have been intruding on these boards all week, it's been very interesting.

We had a lot of snow Monday morning poss 5" and a covering this morning. This is still lying in parts but has been lightly raining all day. Temp is now 2 and rain has stopped, what are the chances of seeing some more heavy snow tonight and tomorrow.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! ta burygirl

Posted

I reckon Paul S unfortunately is right, another complete no show east and south of London, perhaps some back edge snow which will not amount to anything later in the afternoon. Also backed up by Brian Gaze of TWO. We really are being unlucky this winter. Driving in this morning there were just the remnants of Mondays 'slight' snowfall, wouldn't surprise me if that's all we see in terms of lying snow this winter. :clap:

Edited by Timmy H

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
So good people of Herfordshire do you think we will get a lot of snow in the County Town and Ware?

I'm worried about being that little too far east, that little too far south and that little too litle above sea level. Other than that...I'm confident as i ever am about a snow forecast...that's never! :clap:

Posted

are the BBC and METO expecting temps in the south and east of london to warm up slightly before the precipitation begins, because temperatures are dropping fast, and its really cold outside now, and we are still predicted rain. Also the wind directions have changed a lot earlier than the METO have predicted, currently WNW instead of the southerly winds supposed to be having now. Any help? :clap: lol

Posted
are the BBC and METO expecting temps in the south and east of london to warm up slightly before the precipitation begins, because temperatures are dropping fast, and its really cold outside now, and we are still predicted rain. Also the wind directions have changed a lot earlier than the METO have predicted, currently WNW instead of the southerly winds supposed to be having now. Any help? :D lol

I'm still at a balmy 5.6C! :clap: