Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch Thread For London, Ea & Se England

Posted

Coast=

er no detention just picking the kiddies up, :doh:

just seemed really heavy and humid out and i usually get bad head before storms , as much as i want the snow,, thunder snow would be my nightmare,, love snow detest thunder how could i lamp post watch and hide behind couch from lightning ??

Edited by donna-m

Posted
They also got this morning right - it rained here yet just about 30 miles north and west there was some heavy snowfall.

Today's rain hasn't melted much of our snow, still white on fields and roofs.

Same here in Hertford, so can we expect a heavy snowfall in East Herts. tomorrow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
Yes we got some snow but nothing like what was forecast. Very dissapointed tbh because it shows forecasts cant even be right 3 hours before the event. We now have a massive thaw. I bet tonights is correct so enjoy... :doh:

Damn, and its thawing as well you say, thought temps would drop like a stone as evening aproaches over your way as the colder air digs in and moves SE.

Well my worry is that the same could happen here, seems too good to be true, uppers dont seem cold enough apart from in the extreme west and northern extremes of London. Sky is going for the snow being even further South East on their most recent update, so who knows, anything could happen still.

Got couple of inches of snow still here, more in places, so if it snowed on this lot it would be the 1st in a very long long time that we had snowfall on settled snow and a week on constant snowcover would be odds on...now that would be record breaking for snow starved Erith.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Cold air starting to filter through EA now, massive divide, Cambs Stansted 1oC....South Essex 7oC. Starting to filter further S and E already.

Posted

Here at midday today temps were around 4C and snow cover although worn was largely intact despite the rain. By 2.30pm temps had risen to 7C and a rapid thaw was taking place with a lot of melt off the fields. The outlook has transformed from mainly white with green patches to mainly green with a few white patches in just a couple of hours or so!

Posted
Cold air starting to filter through EA now, massive divide, Cambs Stansted 1oC....South Essex 7oC. Starting to filter further S and E already.

Typical, bet the cold air moves around the snow shield of SE Essex and leave us with rain tonight/tomorrow. Whilst 10 miles down the road they get a few inches of the white stuff.

That's how ridiculous this cold spell (if you can call it that in this area) has been.

Posted

Well very interesting day,had a few inches this morning and the roads were the badest i have seen for years even worse than mondays snowfall as they had not gritted or snowploughed they were totaly unprepared!!

Even about 4 hours of light rain has hardly melted any snow out of the city centre and most side roads are terrible.

But quite a few roads were flooding!!! lol.

All main roads in St Albans were terrible with one of the main roads into St Albans being closed because of the ammount of accidents!!

Is there more snow on the way?

Posted

Blimey.. seeing figures of 6c 7c etc not too far from me .. yet here im reading 4c :doh: mind you do still have quite a bit of snow still all on the fields

Edited by nanu

Posted

Been the same here Leigh, temps have fallen to 3oC here now tho, and dropping everywhere...this cold air should continue to filter down to you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Temp down to 3.8 now.

Just found out no rubbish has been collected in Bas today because of the side roads still so bad.

Posted
Temp down to 3.8 now.

Just found out no rubbish has been collected in Bas today because of the side roads still so bad.

No thermometer but the dripping has now stopped in Hammersmith, west London.

Posted
Well very interesting day,had a few inches this morning and the roads were the badest i have seen for years even worse than mondays snowfall as they had not gritted or snowploughed they were totaly unprepared!!

Even about 4 hours of light rain has hardly melted any snow out of the city centre and most side roads are terrible.

But quite a few roads were flooding!!! lol.

All main roads in St Albans were terrible with one of the main roads into St Albans being closed because of the ammount of accidents!!

Is there more snow on the way?

As you say, the roads were a nightmare. I didn't get back into St Albans until gone 11 and it was a slushy mess everywhere. I can only imagine the state of them a few hours earlier.

More snow is likely. Look at the Met Office press release issued a bit earlier:

Met Office Press Release

What's a concern is IF snow does fall, the days thaw and rain will have washed the salt off and unless they do the rounds again, the ice and snow will mean roads being much worse then any other time this week.

Posted

I'm a bit concerned about the latest GFS run, it shows the heaviest ppn during tomorow to be north east and south west of London. However, -5 isotherm digs its way south that little bit quicker on Friday.

Posted

Temp 2.4c at the moment and still falling.

I've missed all of the bbc forecasts today, am I in the right location for snow tonight? Temps tell me I might be!

Posted
As you say, the roads were a nightmare. I didn't get back into St Albans until gone 11 and it was a slushy mess everywhere. I can only imagine the state of them a few hours earlier.

More snow is likely. Look at the Met Office press release issued a bit earlier:

Met Office Press Release

What's a concern is IF snow does fall, the days thaw and rain will have washed the salt off and unless they do the rounds again, the ice and snow will mean roads being much worse then any other time this week.

I left at 7:30am and the roads were very bad, all busses stopped, quite a few crashes including busses and all hills were gridlocked.

Posted

hey i have had a thought! When everybody is shivering and wondering where the heatwave has gone we in the SE will be on a winning streak. We are lucky that we live in such a warm place in the country. See Glass half full not empty am looking on the bright side here or trying to.

Posted

Suffolk at 2oC now, we peaked at 6oC earlier...very good signs. Luton at 0oC already at 3.50! Many places in the midlands have stayed sub 1oC...but the warmer areas...Like here, are seeing temps plummetting now :nonono:

Edited by i luv snow

Posted
Suffolk art 2oC now, we peaked at 6oC earlier...very good signs. Luton at 0oC already at 3.50! Many places in the midlands have stayed sub 1oC...but the warmer areas...Like here, are seeing temps plummetting now :nonono:

What do you think about the snow tonight?

Posted
I left at 7:30am and the roads were very bad, all busses stopped, quite a few crashes including busses and all hills were gridlocked.

I know I shouldn't say this but quite frankly I've had enough!!! :nonono: I can cope with the 'deep and crisp and even' stuff, but this sludgy mush is terrible stuff...

Roll on tomorrow when we can get out to repair the snowman!!!

Snorbens definitely seems to be the place for snow at the mo....we seem to be getting everything going! :rofl: