Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Cymru And South West England

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

A foot in places, widely 8-9inches and up to 3 foot where its drifted.

Most of the smaller villages are still cut off with the roads not been ploughed or gritted... and why 'Cos people have been driving up to play in the snow, parking on the side of the roads and walking the rest of the way and the gritters can't get past. :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..
Definately snowing here. Well, its white, and its falling in nice sized flakes from the sky, but then David Braine doing the BBC forecast on Andew Marr was standing on Dartmoor, in the snow, while snowing and showed graphics with rain over Devon :o

Dartcom Webcam

wow just looked at the web loads and loads of snow...

Posted

This looks serious biggest blizzard of this century.

Rtavn421.png:D :o :o

And the cold looks like hanging on all next week!!!!!

Got down to -2.8c now it`s 0.4c did see a few snow grains,otherwise high cloud coming in.

Cold upper air is hanging on that bit longer today.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rmgfs092.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Just got out of bed and ive looked at radar its all showing as snow as this comes in whats going on?

Is it going to stay as snow now? just want to know before i drive into work?

Posted

I wonder if we'll have a repeat of the bizarre events on this day in 1855? A fascinating story with loads of info on the net.............

''The mysterious footprints, which appeared overnight in heavy snowfall in Southern Devon in 1855, have never been adequately explained. According to contemporary reports, they stretched for over a hundred miles, and went through solid walls and haystacks, appearing on the other side as though there was no barrier. The extent of the footprints may have been exaggerated at the time, and they may have been the result of freak atmospheric conditions. But in truth the footprints - if that is what they were - still remain a complete mystery.

On the night of the 8th of February 1855, heavy snowfall blanketed the countryside and small villages of Southern Devon. The last snow is thought to have fallen around midnight, and between this time and around 6.00am the following morning, something (or some things) left a myriad of tracks in the snow, stretching for a hundred miles or more, from the River Exe, to Totnes on the river Dart.

The early risers were the first to find them, strange hoof-shaped prints in straight lines, passing over rooftops, through walls and covering huge areas of land. A set of the prints were even supposed to have bridged a two mile span of the river Exe, continuing on the other side as if the creature had walked over the water.

It soon became clear that the phenomenon was widespread, and some of the more scientifically minded examined the prints in detail. One naturalist sketched some of the marks, and measured the distance between them, it was found to be eight and a half inches. This spacing seemed to be consistant wherever the tracks were measured. It was also noted that the way in which they were set out, one in front of the other, suggested a biped rather than a creature walking on four legs.

Some clergymen suggested that the prints belonged to the Devil, who was roaming the countryside in search of sinners (a great ploy to fill the churches), while others rejected the idea as superstition. It is true that a feeling of unease had spread through some of the population, who watched carefully to see if the strange footprints would return. They did not and after a couple of days the news spread out of Devon and made the national press. The phenomena sparked correspondence in some of the leading papers including the Times and the Illustrated news. ''

Warphead.com

Also:- http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/england...footprints.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/discovering/leg...ootprints.shtml

Regards,

Mike.

Posted

Well the chances of snow even today have increased slightly light snow here but it has snowed a little overnight too as i can see the flakes on the frozen ground where the snow has melted. This is my 7 day of snow cover if i class sunday night aswell and even if it thaws due to rain here the mountains 10 minutes behind my house have a foot of average snow cover with 4ft drifts in many areas and deeper in gullies. So the snow won't melt there and with the prospects of the most severe blizzard to hit this country since 1982 things are looking decisly wintery. This will be heavier than all of last weeks events i think.

Posted

this is crazy if Wales and the West country get more snow today...with prospects of Blizzards tomorrow.

Havent known a winter like it..how long can we keep getting belts of snow

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
this is crazy if Wales and the West country get more snow today...with prospects of Blizzards tomorrow.

Havent known a winter like it..how long can we keep getting belts of snow

I just looked at forecasts and they all say rain today why is radar showing widespread snow in devon?

Posted
Just got out of bed and ive looked at radar its all showing as snow as this comes in whats going on?

Is it going to stay as snow now? just want to know before i drive into work?

Temp here is up to +1.9c now so probably won't snow here as that'll continue to rise before the precipitation arrives. Maybe different at your elevation though. I'm still thinking freezing rain though.

Posted
I just looked at forecasts and they all say rain today why is radar showing widespread snow in devon?

Imm not sure about your area today but Louise of the BBC said to expect a area of snow for EAST WALES AND THE MIDLANDS TONIGHT..............Then its ARMAGEDDON TOMORROW FOR YOU AND CENTRAL/WALES...AND PARTS OF THE SOUTH

She said expect very heavy snow with strong winds

Edited by dogs32

Posted
Well its snowing here only small stuff but is settling. Nothing from the met office forcasted. Supposed to be dry with a shower this afternoon!!!

Awwww really need snow hit now :cold: Plz blow it up to Ebbw Vale :)

Posted

Still snowing lightly here, but steadily, temp is around 0.3C.

Tomorrow does indeed look like it might be quite interesting

Edit: Winston, I read that somewhere to... saying that, there always is strange goings on up here!

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Will Cardiff get any snow? - basically will it snow in Cardiff? :cold::):)

I refer my honourable friend to the reply I gave some moments ago.

We have had patchy rain, sleet and snow over the past 20 minutes, not really expecting anything here today, but looking good for the valleys.

Posted
I refer my honourable friend to the reply I gave some moments ago.

We have had patchy rain, sleet and snow over the past 20 minutes, not really expecting anything here today, but looking good for the valleys.

What about tomorrow in Cardiff? :rolleyes:

Posted

Light snow here at about 8,didn't settle(ground too warm)slowly changed to sleet and now rain,it,s very light though so won't wash all you lucky snowhoggers snow away.

Posted

jo: was that picture taken this morning?! Awesome.

I've got loads on my phone but have lost the cable to upload them :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Because the precip type radar is a pre-set thing that is judged according to what the GFS says should be falling at that time. Expect it to change to sleet and rain soon. It's not actually what is falling out of the sky at the present time though, it's what the GFS model forecasts to be falling. So it's not exactly accurate.