Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Cymru And South West England

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

with heavy rain expected today, is the temps expected to drop over night, if not the this heavy snow on monday surely wont settle that well and it will be horroble mess.

can anyone shed any further light on the subject??

Posted
Ha Ha I figured out how 2 upload the pics, boi maybe it won't b a blonde day :rolleyes:

WOWZA as I typed that last post it has begun to snow YIPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Andy: It is actually falling from the sky, and it is (at least here) actually snow. So perhaps its not too far out? :rolleyes:

Posted

snowing HEAVILY here in Maesteg.

more to come as well looking at the radar

looks like it's trying to stick as well

Edited by bennytes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Looking at the radar, this band is set to push through by this afternoon, with temps not rising that much inland, however much of it seems rather light and patchy.

Jackone I reckon the precip will pep up later on as it heads across Wales. The models suggested it would be light like this this morning and then by this afternoon it would get heavier and then cross the Midlands and Northern areas as snow. Well i'm hoping it does, keep an eye on it though because I expect it to be a bit more potent by 1pm.

Posted
I wonder if we'll have a repeat of the bizarre events on this day in 1855? A fascinating story with loads of info on the net.............

Not to digress, but the problem with stuff like that is it's always from a long time ago and the 'evidence' is mainly anecdotal. You never hear these things happening in a time and place where they can be fully documented and investigated.

I found a mysterious set of footprints looking like large hooves during a snowfall 3-4 years ago but eventually figured out the explanation. I'll try and find the pix later.

I can't believe we've STILL got lying snow here. Winter truly delivered this year, and it's going to be difficult to top next year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Andy: It is actually falling from the sky, and it is (at least here) actually snow. So perhaps its not too far out? :rolleyes:

Good :) The radar is accurate in the sense that it is showing what precip is actually around in any location but the precip-type thing isn't what is falling out of the sky as rain/sleet/snow. It tells you the type of precip by what the GFS says it would be falling as at that time. I have known it to snow here when it's saying sleet on the precip-type radar.

I'm not surprised it's snowing in Dartmoor though, bet if you go down to lower levels though it will be rain.

Still snowing over Dartmoor and cam now looks like an Alpine ski resort Village:

http://www.dartcom.co.uk/index.php?pageID=7

So if there is about a foot of snow with 3ft drifts and 9 inches widely, which freezes tonight and then tomorrow night we get another dumping as a channel low approaches whist could give 1 metre of snow???

Did they not forecast for rain today? Can you believe it that Plymouth and Lyme Regis never saw a flake of this whilst some parts of the county especially Okehampton has seen 2ft of snow 55cm. That is incredible. :rolleyes::)

Posted
jo: was that picture taken this morning?! Awesome.

I've got loads on my phone but have lost the cable to upload them :rolleyes:

When you eventually get off the moor buy yourself a blue tooth dongle works great :)

Posted

Ah, got ya, and to be fair to the radar the BBC showed rain over Dartmoor as well, the fact that the presenter said this while standing on Dartmoor in the snow, whilst it was snowing made it all rather surreal, but it didn't seem to bother him haha :rolleyes:

Barry: haha might just do that... I'd order one but no post for the last week either... oh wait, no, had some on thursday I think.

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted
Still snowing over Dartmoor and cam now looks like an Alpine ski resort Village:

http://www.dartcom.co.uk/index.php?pageID=7

So if there is about a foot of snow with 3ft drifts and 9 inches widely, which freezes tonight and then tomorrow night we get another dumping as a channel low approaches whist could give 1 metre of snow???

Did they not forecast for rain today? Can you believe it that Plymouth and Lyme Regis never saw a flake of this whilst some parts of the county especially Okehampton has seen 2ft of snow 55cm. That is incredible. :):)

Nor me :rolleyes:

with heavy rain expected today, is the temps expected to drop over night, if not the this heavy snow on monday surely wont settle that well and it will be horroble mess.

can anyone shed any further light on the subject??

The rain today may not be that heavy and it is set to freeze overnight, and should dry up tomorrow.

Posted

snow has eased now in maesteg. still coming down, but much lighter.

Posted
so won't wash all you lucky snowhoggers snow away.

That is what concerns me! I don't want my snow washed away. :doh: I want it to stay as a nice foundation for whatever tomorrow may bring.

If it stays until tomorrow night, then we will have had seven consecutive days of lying snow, from three snowfalls (Monday night, Wednesday night, Thursday night/ Friday morn).

Blimey, O'reilly....when could we last have said that?!

As I said earlier in the week...we are truly blessed! We must all have been very good boys and girls. :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

This is strange that its falling as sleet/snow across west like this. I still don't think we will get snow even at 300m in somerset.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
Still snowing here :cray:

i noticed you have snow at 120 asl, im 140 asl, whats your temp at the mo?

Posted

WiB: yup, snowing here to... thats 2 hours plus this morning. :cray:

Posted
When you eventually get off the moor buy yourself a blue tooth dongle works great :D

Sorry peeps, tha pic was taken thursday nite, when we were forecast No snow....we were forecast it 4 wednesday but a light dusting instead :doh: . Thus I am hoping 4 a gd dumping. Unfortunately as quick as the snow started just now, it has stopped. The sun was trying to poke his nose through but I have bin out and had firm words and he has crawled bck behind his snow cloud :cray: Now I am just waiting............... I'm no gd wiv all this radar stuff so n e info wud b appretiated much av a gd snow day peeps ;-) :doh:

Posted
Sorry peeps, tha pic was taken thursday nite, when we were forecast No snow....we were forecast it 4 wednesday but a light dusting instead . Thus I am hoping 4 a gd dumping. Unfortunately as quick as the snow started just now, it has stopped. The sun was trying to poke his nose through but I have bin out and had firm words and he has crawled bck behind his snow cloud Now I am just waiting............... I'm no gd wiv all this radar stuff so n e info wud b appretiated much av a gd snow day peeps ;-)

Best bet for today is just to go play in any snow and if it falls all well and good :cray: tomorrow could be interesting tho, with heavy snow and high winds.

I'm going to have to get off this Moor soon or I'm going go crazy! (and run out of stuff)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

The Met Office have warnings out for heavy snow tomorrow but surely the temps will be too high.

Posted

Depends on how far south the Low ends up, either way its going to be a pretty potent storm down here be it rain or snow.