Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion

Ross B

Posted

Its always gunna be SE England that will always have the best storm coming from france its been like that all year so far.

Posted
Hi mate, You've beaten me into the Three-In-Row Club. But, as everything seems pretty-much the same as yesterday, I may be in soon enough. The thunderheads are spectacular again! :)

Lovely CGs out to the west!!! :)

Definite though quite distant rumbling. Think I'm going to go and sit in the wooden gazebo thingy (though the big tree in the garden behind it worries me)!

Posted
Might be worth a drive East Sam ??

Gonna give it a few more Model runs from both GFS & UKMO Before all will be fine detailed, but at the moment any Stronger Imports look reserved for Sussex and Kent atm

Paul S

Cheers Paul. I'm down in london all this week (Brentford) so I can make a dash onto the m25 after work here - quite happy to drive down to kent /sussex but I wont have any on the road internet access unfortunately so will have to aim then drive. Sounds like imports are a good possibility from what your saying though - fingers crossed!

:) Sam, Cirencester

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Its always gunna be SE England that will always have the best storm coming from france its been like that all year so far.

Nothing has been decided yet weathercoxy :)

Posted

Well it may be that much of the South of England is having a dry, fine day however there is a convergence zone over Somerset/Dorset/Wiltshire giving some pretty heavy downpours locally. Westbury is on the Northern edge with occasional sharp showers/drizzle but the radar shows cells approaching 50mm per hour rate only a few miles South. To the North of here the sky is almost a perfect summer one with scattered fair weather Cumulus!

The wind is also interesting because it was a very gusty WNW'ly all morning but, with the convergence zone so close, it has kept switching direction while dropping to virtually calm for the last few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Definite though quite distant rumbling. Think I'm going to go and sit in the wooden gazebo thingy (though the big tree in the garden behind it worries me)!

Aye ski, things are certainly starting to pep-up. It's not that often in these parts to have three thunder-days in a row, is it? And, if tomorrow plays ball, we could have four! :)

Posted
Hi mate, You've beaten me into the Three-In-Row Club. But, as everything seems pretty-much the same as yesterday, I may be in soon enough. The thunderheads are spectacular again! :)

Lovely CGs out to the west!!! :)

It feels quite good...i cant remember the last time we had 3 days of thunder. Found this today, the Aberdeen local paper reporting of up and coming Thunderstorms for the remainder of the week, maybe it will be 4 or 5 days...

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1307585

Posted
Well it may be that much of the South of England is having a dry, fine day however there is a convergence zone over Somerset/Dorset/Wiltshire giving some pretty heavy downpours locally. Westbury is on the Northern edge with occasional sharp showers/drizzle but the radar shows cells approaching 50mm per hour rate only a few miles South. To the North of here the sky is almost a perfect summer one with scattered fair weather Cumulus!

The wind is also interesting because it was a very gusty WNW'ly all morning but, with the convergence zone so close, it has kept switching direction while dropping to virtually calm for the last few hours.

Was just going to make a similar post Andy, just north of the line of showers here too and indeed, not bad weather at all around these parts.

Not had a shower yet but the sky had darkened a few times.

Not sure how today will end up but some heavy rain it looks for tomorrow into the night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny days, thunder and of course lots of snow.
:rolleyes: We finally have a storm worth mentioning here in Alnwick, its hammering it down at the moment with some good thunder and lightning thrown in too, just hope my daughters school got back from their trip to the beach before it started.

Posted

Right guys. I think I'd better disconnect...Things are getting interesting! :rolleyes:

Posted
Gonna give it a few more Model runs from both GFS & UKMO Before all will be fine detailed, but at the moment any Stronger Imports look reserved for Sussex and Kent atm

Could be a goer guys! (posted with finger crossed)

21OWS_EUROPE_FITL_THUNDERSTORM-STANDARD_48.GIF

gfs_cape_eur54.png

gfs_kili_eur54.png

54_24.gif

CAPE is highest and LI is lowest around mid-morning and then later in the afternoon but:

a. its marginal and

b. don't anyone get upset if it doesn't make it across the puddle!

I might see some flashes out to sea in the middle of the night if I wake up:

ukstormrisk.png

42_24.gif

Posted
Right guys. I think I'd better disconnect...Things are getting interesting! :rolleyes:

Desktops shutdown and disconnected. On laptop on WiFi now. Heavy rain now as well as the rumbling, still a patch of blue sky just about overhead though, very black to the South through NW, less dark to NE but some towering clouds. Basically the weather appears to be closing in on the city centre here in Inverness in all sides.

Wow! Cloud to Cloud fork over the SW sector of the city, very bright and <2 seconds to the LOUD thunder! Raining hard but not like yesterday, that was completely nuts for a bit.

Also there's an EasyJet plane circling overhead, one already got hit this week coming in over the Cairngorms.

Posted
Desktops shutdown and disconnected. On laptop on WiFi now. Heavy rain now as well as the rumbling, still a patch of blue sky just about overhead though, very black to the South through NW, less dark to NE but some towering clouds. Basically the weather appears to be closing in on the city centre here in Inverness in all sides.

Wow! Cloud to Cloud fork over the SW sector of the city, very bright and <2 seconds to the LOUD thunder! Raining hard but not like yesterday, that was completely nuts for a bit.

Also there's an EasyJet plane circling overhead, one already got hit this week coming in over the Cairngorms.

Aye mate, I saw the Easyjet...I bet the sick-bags were popular!

:rolleyes:

Posted

Similar situation here, lights flickering and computers turning off and on. The towers are building at a crazy rate, look at them for 10 mins and they are twice the size...you can actually see growth from small to large in about a 30 min period. All directions have lage towers, especially to the south west.

Posted

The storm rumbling away to the east seems to have pepped-up a bit. Isn't that always the way... :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Got showers to the north of here, and showers to the south.

Stuck in the middle here where it's dry and sunny, but at least we have plenty of heat now, hopefully things will kick off after 5pm for a change so i'm out of work.

Only 6 members on this topic, you would think we were all bored of this weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D
Only 6 members on this topic, you would think we were all bored of this weather!

I'm definitely bored of this weather! I try not to pop in here as often as I did! I only get jealous when I hear people getting a storm lol

Not one storm for me this year yet :D

I'm hoping maybe tomorrow night(I've gone and probably jinxed it again now :rolleyes: lol)

Posted
Well, considering the storms are confined to the North of the UK, there's not alot to get excited about where I live. Perhaps Friday will hold something interesting for me but for now, the weather here is quite boring.

Seconded.

Apart from a brief moderate shower this morning, it's just an ordinary scattered clouds/sunny spells type of day. That said though, convection does seem to be on the increase. Maybe a surprise repeat of last evening perhaps? Not likely I don't think.

Weather09... Thanks for the comments on my pics last night. Wonder when I'll be trying that sort of thing again? :rolleyes:

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Gone very dark here - very dodgy looking :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Not much happening in the North East now, looks like the Met Office warning only for Northumberland was a good call, that's the only part of the North East to have had a decent storm today from what I can tell.

They have also added the risk of thunder to their forecast for this area tomorrow, but the risk looks lower than today so I won't build my hopes up.

Posted

Thunder Storm number two of the day, four for the week, tenth of the year approaching from the south west.

Looks very slow moving, anvil well formed. Rumbles in the distance..............