Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

No more down here in Folkestone apart from the dusting we got last night. Can't believe that's yet again we've missed out here..

Not impressed.

it must be really marginal for you not to be getting snow in folkestone this morning, but i would keep an eye on the clouds as there is still a line of showers on the radar heading from Margate in a line towards Rye/Hastings :)

Posted

We had some melting here but only in sourtherly facing areas - most of the snow is still around - it all froze up in the evening whcih meant driving down my road very tricky!

What are people's thoughts regarding tonight's possible snow? Do you think us in the South East will see any of it?

I think it will be here tonight , unsure how much though yet. Have you been up reigate hill yet? wondering what it will be like up there. -3.9c here this morning

Posted

it must be really marginal for you not to be getting snow in folkestone this morning, but i would keep an eye on the clouds as there is still a line of showers on the radar heading from Margate in a line towards Rye/Hastings :)

beginning to gently fall as snow down here in CT19

Posted

I haven't been up there... I think a bit melted from its south side...

when I walked back home through Priory Park yesterday evening, there was still plenty of the white stuff although it had been well comnpacted by all the sledgers!

Posted

Supposed to be going to Woodchurch (Asford) to see santa (will be taking the kids). It was called off yesterday. Has it snowed more there?

I dont think it has , just been localised to the far east of kent , probably best to ring them and ask , if u have a phone number

Posted

Supposed to be going to Woodchurch (Asford) to see santa (will be taking the kids). It was called off yesterday. Has it snowed more there?

There was snow there yesterday, from about 2 to 5pm but they have not really seen anything since. So I would say you are fine. The forecast for today looks ok for you. I am heading that way to go sledging with the kids and walking in the woods etc... near Ashford.

The place that will see a lot of snow and is seeing a lot of snow is the Isle of thanet that has a Kent Streamer and that is set to be with them all day, in fact they are getting pounded!

Posted

I have to get to Folkestone at some point today.... relying on Public transport that's now all either delayed or stopped... then tomorrow gotta go to London by HS1 up through to Scarborough E. Yorkhsire for a short break before Christmas... Snow tonight I still want though but I am worried things may not happen or be severely delayed..

Posted

Strange...I thought I lived in East Kent. Seems the snow has other ideas :)

Yep the snow is Thanet bound, it would seem that the stretch of land between Faversham to Birchington down to Canterbury that traditionally does get a lot of snow, has missed out with kentish streams going further west and now further east. Comical really, the only hope now is for the snow from the north to come steaming down in the next 36 hours (if there will be any left!). You never know it may well change however and the stream could change direction but I can't see it myself.

Absolutely a DEAL!!!!!! I am considering waking the kids up . . . even though they REALLY need the sleep!! Still snowing moderately here - 8cm lying snow and the radar looks great for a good few more hours.

Like my town friend above, Deal often misses out so if it's a Deal steamer . . . about time!!

GO FOR IT!

Edited by PureOcean

Posted

Yep the snow is Thanet bound, it would seem that the stretch of land between Faversham to Birchington down to Canterbury that traditionally does get a lot of snow, has missed out with kentish streams going further west and now further east. Comical really, the only hope now is for the snow from the north to come steaming down in the next 36 hours (if there will be any left!). You never know it may well change however and the stream could change direction but I can't see it myself.

the heaviest ammounts around here are mainly within a mile of the sea, a mate in kingsdown said they 2-3"

Posted

I have to get to Folkestone at some point today.... relying on Public transport that's now all either delayed or stopped... then tomorrow gotta go to London by HS1 up through to Scarborough E. Yorkhsire for a short break before Christmas... Snow tonight I still want though but I am worried things may not happen or be severely delayed..

You picked a hell of a weekend for all that travelling. If you get get away from Dover safely you will be fine, but the trouble will be bad for you up north as well, a large snow event coming down, so you will experience lots of cold travelling what ever you choose. Just grin and go for it, it is only snow, and if you are prepared for delays you will be ok.

the heaviest ammounts around here are mainly within a mile of the sea, a mate in kingsdown said they 2-3"

Appreciate that, its just clipping you, but its a long stream, its set to continue for hours at the present track and just keeps feeding itself, so those that are getting it will be experiencing a nice fat dump of snow, and good on them! :)

Edited by PureOcean

Posted

Conditions on North East Kent Coast at Whitstable, Kent:

Wind NNW 15 Mph (at present) and dropping and changing direction can feel it.

Temperature: COLD...... -2C

Cloud Cover: Yes, but some broken now and low cloud

Visability: Under 2 miles out to sea

Snow Depth: urrrr what snow... about 1cm to 0.5cm of ice maybe :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and dry

u had some yesterday! don't be greedy!

One inch...sorry for being so greedy

Just looked at the radar...its so close I can smell it, but its just gonna stay that elusive few miles to the east all day by the look of it

Edited by Snow Schmow

Posted

You picked a hell of a weekend for all that travelling. If you get get away from Dover safely you will be fine, but the trouble will be bad for you up north as well, a large snow event coming down, so you will experience lots of cold travelling what ever you choose. Just grin and go for it, it is only snow, and if you are prepared for delays you will be ok.

Suppose we will still be going, as my uncle payed for it all... so Hopefully it will all go OK. :wallbash: trying to get hold of him on his phone but it's switched off as usual... so there's him sitting there in Folkestone where not quite as much snow has fallen thinking things are fine LOL

Posted

Walking into work in Folkestone town centre, snow's light but steady, the clouds above the hills look full of it, I think what about those above us?

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Anyone get 20CM in the east of kent then? :wallbash:

Morning Peoples-

Almost a certainty for an ice day across the western portion of the region today- temps already hovering around -4/-5 & closer to -7/-8 in some rural spots of the home counties-

Wonderful to see prior to Xmas-

A very interesting 00z run from the ECM- incidentally its the same time that the GFS falls off the same horse- still lets see what the rest of todays runs bring & heres to some more snow overnight-

Good luck to everyone- I am HOPING for 3 inches- but suspect in will be the bottom end of 2-

I bet theres some -10's to the west & nw of london in oxfordshire before the front hits-

then tomorrow certain ice day- with I am plumping for a -12 overnight if the skies are clear & the winds are to strong from the NW......

Steve

Posted

Morning all. Argh so we missed out again! <_< Frustrating with 2 snow events forecast which didn't materialise or went to a different area. And the snow forecast for Sunday now looks set to be sleet on the coast again (according to BBC). Still, we got about 0.3cm last night of sugar icing dusting so it looks wintery out. :D Colder this morning too, my weather station says -0.4c outside with cloud cover :cold: that's pretty good, just need the precipitation!. And it has just started snowing again but only a flurry, so all eyes on that radar there's a line of showers coming in, we might get something this morning!. :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder snow.

Wife just woke me up.

Look outside and its snowing at last in margate.

How long will this last.

Dave h

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and dry

Anyone get 20CM in the east of kent then? :wallbash:

I have 2cm...

Posted

Morning Peoples-

Almost a certainty for an ice day across the western portion of the region today- temps already hovering around -4/-5 & closer to -7/-8 in some rural spots of the home counties-

Wonderful to see prior to Xmas-

A very interesting 00z run from the ECM- incidentally its the same time that the GFS falls off the same horse- still lets see what the rest of todays runs bring & heres to some more snow overnight-

Good luck to everyone- I am HOPING for 3 inches- but suspect in will be the bottom end of 2-

I bet theres some -10's to the west & nw of london in oxfordshire before the front hits-

then tomorrow certain ice day- with I am plumping for a -12 overnight if the skies are clear & the winds are to strong from the NW......

Steve

Morning Steve. was a strange journey into work this morning. left home 0530 and it actually got colder the closer to Charing Cross i got. unknw.gif not much snow left in plumstead but very frosty. am in work tomorrow morning again and have to get the 0545 bus to work. am reckoning i will be late in tomorrow morning whistling.gif i up your lower end of 2" to upper end of 3" smile.gif Edited by MAF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

I've read reports that the front tonight,early hours is likely to Pep Up on it's eastern flank , more so than previously expected