Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Morning Tamara.

I say isn't tonight wonderfully uncertain. I said to my mother this morning that we could see nothing more than a dusting or another 10cm. Following this cold front tonight should be rather exciting because of the uncertainity. The front looks like arriving in my area around midnight.

reckoning on it hitting London around 3 in the morning. am up for work at 0430 so may well still be snowing then :lol:

Posted

We were down to -7c last night in Biggin Hill after an ice day yesterday.I really thought we were in for a bit more snow but we only got a few flakes. The snow is very dry and the 4/5 inches of snow has not melted and the trees are still covered with a thick layer making them look almost alpine that hasn't happened since February 1991. The air is dry and its a really a beautiful morning making me realise why I like dry snow and crisp alpine blue skies. The down side to all this is it casuses disruption and I feel very sorry for the people trapped on the Eurostar trains. More snow to night and that front could become stationery over the South East. Boxing Day 1962 a Northerly gave rain and snow to parts of Scotland and as it worked its way down the country it stalled over Southern England and gave 12 ins of dry crisp snow which more or less stayed for 3 months with regular small top-ups. The weather forecaster did say that Monday could be a problem for the South with heavy rain/sleet and snow. The BBC have 1c max-3c min for Biggin Hill with heavy snow. :lol: any thoughts on this .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SnOw and SuMmEr!!! :D

Morning all..... Any ideas if Luton is due for any more snow?? Thanks in advance!

Posted

Just looking further ahead for a bit...

Off to Bergen for the New Year so I keep an eye on the forecast...on this site I've seen a minimum temp forecast of 7C for next week :lol:

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Bergen/forecasts/latest

Does this indicate that our hopes down here might be dashed for a white Christmas, or can an Easterly keep it freezing here while up there it gets much milder?

Looking out to Christmas at the moment it's very hard to predict what will happen because there's so much disagreement over the pressure and the resulting temperatures and uppers, let alone precipitation. I'd say that maybe by next Tuesday we'd have a confident idea of the conditions on the big day.

Posted

Cant wait for tonight, for that frontal snow to come down from the north to give snow to most if not all parts of this region!

Posted

Hi Charlton Kerry as far as know the game is on -Lets hope we carry on our winning streak and beat our only real local derby rivals Millwall. Hoping to make the game today but I have a lot of family commitments so its touch and go. Take care :lol:

Posted

Looked at the Met forecast for Cambridge, heavy snow for some of the night then heavy snow on Monday through Tuesday WOW but on Tuesday is the point when serious disruption to travel networks could occur

Posted

We were down to -7c last night in Biggin Hill after an ice day yesterday.I really thought we were in for a bit more snow but we only got a few flakes. The snow is very dry and the 4/5 inches of snow has not melted and the trees are still covered with a thick layer making them look almost alpine that hasn't happened since February 1991. The air is dry and its a really a beautiful morning making me realise why I like dry snow and crisp alpine blue skies. The down side to all this is it casuses disruption and I feel very sorry for the people trapped on the Eurostar trains. More snow to night and that front could become stationery over the South East. Boxing Day 1962 a Northerly gave rain and snow to parts of Scotland and as it worked its way down the country it stalled over Southern England and gave 12 ins of dry crisp snow which more or less stayed for 3 months with regular small top-ups. The weather forecaster did say that Monday could be a problem for the South with heavy rain/sleet and snow. The BBC have 1c max-3c min for Biggin Hill with heavy snow. whistling.gif any thoughts on this .

well the front moving north-south overnight should hit the cold south aroind 3 in the morning, so you might get about 3 hours of snawfall whch if moving slow could give 5-10 cms :lol:

bring it on

03:00

(Sun) 27.gif?v32_12 Heavy Snow

1°C 34°F South Westerly 10mph 16km/h 100% 998mB Very poor

Morning all..... Any ideas if Luton is due for any more snow?? Thanks in advance!

see above Ange :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow; Thunderstorms; Heat Waves

Morning everyone :( First post so be gentle :(

My Dad is going up to watch the Spurs game at Blackburn today. Do you think he'll run into snow?

Would love some snow where I am, only got a dusting other day :fool:

Posted

EGSS 190631Z 1906/2012 34010KT 9999 FEW007 SCT010 PROB40 1906/1910 BKN004 BECMG 1912/1915 25009KT TEMPO 1921/1923 3000 -SN BKN008 BECMG 1923/2002 3000 -SN BKN008 PROB40 TEMPO 2000/2002 0600 +SN VV/// TEMPO 2002/2008 1000 SN BKN002 BECMG 2005/2008 32012KT CAVOK

Snow from 9PM tonight all the way through to breakfast at Stansted clap.gif

Snow settling on top of old snow - unheard of in recent years!

Edited by Ocean Transit

Posted

Something very odd has happened here in Peterborough.

At 9am it was -3C but by 10am its dropped to -6C!

How on earth can this happen and yes this is an official Met O weather station based at RAF Wittering.

Posted

My Weather Station Obs as at 10z is as Follows

Temp -4c & Dewpoint of -4c

Driving into London was relatively Straightforward apart from my area which still has 6" of Snow in Places where Drifting occured more like 4" normal. The roads have compacted ice which is not easy driving but drivers are driving carefully at around 20mph, The trees are incredible with huge Icicles hanging off them. As I got towards Lakeside snow cover reduces drastically.

Lakenheath in Suffolk is showing -7c and -8c DP Which just goes to show how the models struggle with Snow Cover. I fully expect an Ice Day in much of the East Midlands down through East Anglia towards West Kent etc

My take on the Models and Snowfall over the next few days as follows:

Tonight a band of snow for a few hours from 3am in the Morning should give accumulations of 2-6cm across London, East Anglia and the South East, following this another possible band of snow for Sunday Morning. Next week looks very interesting with possible Low pressure systems trying to attck from the South West, one of the Models keeps the Low over North West France and if this occurs then an almighty Blizzard for the Uk is entirely Possible, other models take the Low much further North and keep it marginal South of the Midlands. Another Re-Load of North Easterlies possible after Xmas and b4 New Year as well.

Incredible Winter at present

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

OMG no snow melted in Ipswich yesterday...infaact we had 12cm, it got topped up a little bit during day and night and now we could see a little top up tonight, looks really heavy too! Will attach pics soon from my day yesterday! :D

Posted

Morning everyone tongue.gif First post so be gentle blush.gif

My Dad is going up to watch the Spurs game at Blackburn today. Do you think he'll run into snow?

Would love some snow where I am, only got a dusting other day cray.gif

morning SB and welcome to NW :D

looks like it will be dry for Blackburn around kick off time, very cold though :D

Posted

My Weather Station Obs as at 10z is as Follows

Temp -4c & Dewpoint of -4c

Driving into London was relatively Straightforward apart from my area which still has 6" of Snow in Places where Drifting occured more like 4" normal. The roads have compacted ice which is not easy driving but drivers are driving carefully at around 20mph, The trees are incredible with huge Icicles hanging off them. As I got towards Lakeside snow cover reduces drastically.

Lakenheath in Suffolk is showing -7c and -8c DP Which just goes to show how the models struggle with Snow Cover. I fully expect an Ice Day in much of the East Midlands down through East Anglia towards West Kent etc

My take on the Models and Snowfall over the next few days as follows:

Tonight a band of snow for a few hours from 3am in the Morning should give accumulations of 2-6cm across London, East Anglia and the South East, following this another possible band of snow for Sunday Morning. Next week looks very interesting with possible Low pressure systems trying to attck from the South West, one of the Models keeps the Low over North West France and if this occurs then an almighty Blizzard for the Uk is entirely Possible, other models take the Low much further North and keep it marginal South of the Midlands. Another Re-Load of North Easterlies possible after Xmas and b4 New Year as well.

Incredible Winter at present

Paul S

Hi Paul,

Fantastic stuff. Even living here in East London, although we have slight snow/ice cover, what is

remarkable is the way it has now iced up and we have ice/frost/bits of snow on pavements, cars

rooftops etc. Havent seen that since 80's and also it is very cold today even here. Would

hope any snowfall tonight would settle as Thursdays had some snowmelt even though it come down heavy.

Interestingly does anyone know why we got that melt here - was it simply dewpoints too high or

did we see a warmer sector involved or just London simply warmer overall meant snowmelt?

Doubt snowfall tonight would melt at all.

Regards,

CV