Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 3

Methuselah

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

here is a nice photo from few minutes ago

dsc00562vf.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Just not heavy enough here, very very frustrating but it just looks wet on the roads! Hopefully the showers tomorrow will push further east but at the moment it's just too high temperatures for even falling snow to lie on the lying snow!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Dry and partly cloudy, -1C...No sign of any snow showers??? :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

am in gifford , 4 miles south of haddington. We have heavy blizzard like conditions and have just heard a rumble of thunder , 2-3cm already on the ground after 15-20 mins

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Just seen 2 toddlers being dragged down the road on 2 plastic sledges. Pathetic sight though, at street level its a couple of millimetres of melting greying slush :nonono:

Posted

snow still fairly heavy here :(

Posted

Just seen 2 toddlers being dragged down the road on 2 plastic sledges. Pathetic sight though, at street level its a couple of millimetres of melting greying slush laugh.gif

lmao post of the day!

Posted

It's back on here, another of those showers? - I think the NE (Aberdeenshire) tip might just be being lucky catching some more of those?

about 6-8cm lying now I reckon although it's very blowy and we already had 2-3cm.. anyway off out brave the elements - see you all later, enjoy :(

Edited by Snooz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Just seen 2 toddlers being dragged down the road on 2 plastic sledges. Pathetic sight though, at street level its a couple of millimetres of melting greying slush :lol:

:(

That reminds of the day I saw some goon hosing snow off his driveway. It was -10C!! :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Finally. After watching with trepidation all day....

Heavy snow here now. A little wet, but defo not sleet; huge flakes the size of golf balls.

Lying on the few cms we have remaining from Thursday.

Woo-hoo drinks.gif

Hope everyone sees some over the next few days.

Posted

light snow falling looking a bit brighter as well but should set us up perfectly for further snow this evening and Sunday hopefully there wont be further rain bands to undo our accumulations

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Looking on XCWeather, I think the proximity of a heavy rain report at Glasgow Bishopton and a snow report at Glasgow Airport just 20 mins apart highlights the marginality of this situation!

http://xcweather.co.uk/

Looking very wet in this part of Glasgow (Buchanan Street)

http://www.camvista.com/scotland/glasgow/buchananstreetlive.php

Good luck to all of you up in Scotland, I hope we all get some of that longed-for snow :)

Looking on XCWeather, I think the proximity of a heavy rain report at Glasgow Bishopton and a snow report at Glasgow Airport just 20 mins apart highlights the marginality of this situation!

http://xcweather.co.uk/

Looking very wet in this part of Glasgow (Buchanan Street)

http://www.camvista.com/scotland/glasgow/buchananstreetlive.php

Good luck to all of you up in Scotland, I hope we all get some of that longed-for snow :)

Interestingly the METAR for Glasgow Airport reported snow but also recent rain in the same line of code. Which matches my experiences about 7 miles away.

Plus the Bishopton report is 20 mins earlier than the Glasgow Airport one (the Airport is about 3 miles SE from Bishopton, but about 50m lower).

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Yes I mentioned they are 20 mins apart. Sounds like an interesting setup in any case! Reminds me of the 2004 event as others have been saying. In 2004 we had 2 inches of snow above a layer of thick, slippery ice. By the way has any of the rain frozen?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Just seen 2 toddlers being dragged down the road on 2 plastic sledges. Pathetic sight though, at street level its a couple of millimetres of melting greying slush laugh.gif

Haha, off topic I know (wrong place to post) but couldn't resist to that post. clap.gif

Posted

right guys i am of out for dinner will be back on later

Posted

Temperature really gone up according to Met Office site, 6.2C at Prestwick airport! It's strange because it never seems to cool down that quickly during a burst of slightly cooler uppers, I mean -3 or -4 is still coolish after all. My thermometer still showing 2C, think it needs to be shielded better.

Yes I mentioned they are 20 mins apart. Sounds like an interesting setup in any case! Reminds me of the 2004 event as others have been saying. In 2004 we had 2 inches of snow above a layer of thick, slippery ice. By the way has any of the rain frozen?

I know you'd said they were 20 mins apart :)

Well it snowed after the rain and some of that stuck. It does look icy and I am about to find out as I'm off out to the shop to get some supplies in. Especially some beer for radar watching later :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Can see clear across to the far Fife horizon now ... higher broken cloud in the distance. Hopefully temps will drop now and preserve Leiths net gain of a couple of millimeteres over the day... Other higher parts of the city may have grabbed a centimetre or so from the squall ?