Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Looks like Nottingham will get a direct hit from the heavier precip, will it be rain or snow ?

Posted

People, read the NW thread, very interesting and it's coming our way

Doesn't make good reading with all that rain about.....

Temperature now risen to 1.6°C here, so at this rate we can only hope for snow.

Posted

Maybe west Northants will do ok out of this .biggrin.gif

I think we should be fine but a narrow window for the snow I think. The several hours forecast for Eastern England on the computer generated Met Office ones are simply ludicrous as it's a narrow rapidly moving front. Even Edinburgh only received 20 minutes of snow today, and about 30-40 minutes in Glasgow.

Here's Pitsford Hall's take on proceedings in Northamptonshire:

FORECAST FOR NORTHAMPTONSHIRE

A hard frost greets the county this morning with icy stretches presenting a serious hazard on untreated minor roads and pavements. Although much of the day will be bathed in good sunshine, temperatures will recover only very slowly and, like yesterday, are unlikely to get significantly above freezing. The wind will be a light north-westerly for the most part, freshening this evening. It will tend to turn cloudier through the late afternoon and evening ahead of the frontal system heading southwards which will bring a significant fall of snow across the county overnight. Lows during the night will fall to -3C.

OUTLOOK

So a difficult start tomorrow morning. The county will wake to a fresh fall of snow with accumulations up to several cms on top of yesterday's fall. However, there will be some good spells of sunshine through the day. It will continue to feel very cold in a biting and moderate north-westerly breeze. Highs of 1C, but feeling much colder with the added wind chill. Lows overnight will fall to -2C. Monday is likely to see further falls of snow, mainly as sleet during the day but reverted back to heavy snow overnight. Highs of 2C falling overnight to -3C.

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

It's here - and it's sleet !

Oh [moderated word].

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

From an IMBY point of view, this is looking very promising now. I will probably get the stuff that is over North Wales - this is intensifying. Also, despite the fact we are bemoaning the fact that it is moving more east than south, this will actually help us. If it was going directly south then we would have an even briefer window of snow, but it will slide across us rather than go straight through the region.

totally agree Nick....I've just got back from shopping & its perishing cold out there!....-0.4C..snow for sure!...I cant believe the amount of negative posts I've just been reading (previous few pages)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Oh [moderated word].

sleet/freezing rain very briefly, then snow.....why the sad face?, its what was forecast....Ian's location is nearly 30 miles to our NW, plenty can happen in 30 miles!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

totally agree Nick....I've just got back from shopping & its perishing cold out there!....-0.4C..snow for sure!...I cant believe the amount of negative posts I've just been reading (previous few pages)

0.6 my temp, im only a few miles north

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Its virtually on my doorstep now :yahoo:

Posted

Wet snow mixed in, becoming heavy.

whats your elevation?

im not far from you, should arrive here any minute now.

Posted

I think we should be fine but a narrow window for the snow I think. The several hours forecast for Eastern England on the computer generated Met Office ones are simply ludicrous as it's a narrow rapidly moving front. Even Edinburgh only received 20 minutes of snow today, and about 30-40 minutes in Glasgow.

Here's Pitsford Hall's take on proceedings in Northamptonshire:

FORECAST FOR NORTHAMPTONSHIRE

A hard frost greets the county this morning with icy stretches presenting a serious hazard on untreated minor roads and pavements. Although much of the day will be bathed in good sunshine, temperatures will recover only very slowly and, like yesterday, are unlikely to get significantly above freezing. The wind will be a light north-westerly for the most part, freshening this evening. It will tend to turn cloudier through the late afternoon and evening ahead of the frontal system heading southwards which will bring a significant fall of snow across the county overnight. Lows during the night will fall to -3C.

OUTLOOK

So a difficult start tomorrow morning. The county will wake to a fresh fall of snow with accumulations up to several cms on top of yesterday's fall. However, there will be some good spells of sunshine through the day. It will continue to feel very cold in a biting and moderate north-westerly breeze. Highs of 1C, but feeling much colder with the added wind chill. Lows overnight will fall to -2C. Monday is likely to see further falls of snow, mainly as sleet during the day but reverted back to heavy snow overnight. Highs of 2C falling overnight to -3C.

That heavy precip looks to be heading straight our way.

Astonishing fact.

08/09 + 09/10 winter has given Northants over 30cm of snow ,yet my owd stomping ground Bolton has had only 7cmlaugh.gif

Posted

One things for sure, regardless of what type of PPN falls, this occlusion has intensified quite markedly the past hour or so, I should imagine its picked up a fair amount of moisture of the relativley warm Irish Sea...

post-4149-12612531395758.txt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

It's that heavy wet snow, need the dewpoint to come down a little.

What is your DP Ian?

Posted

That heavy precip looks to be heading straight our way.

Astonishing fact.

08/09 + 09/10 winter has given Northants over 30cm of snow ,yet my owd stomping ground Bolton has had only 7cmlaugh.gif

That is astonishing. What can I say, it's been a very, very good year and a reminder of what is possible, even in 2009!

Just noticed the temp has crept above freezing at 0.4 °C. NOT the second ice day in a row then! That'll teach me. B)

Temps still OK but wouldn't want it to rise much further.