Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

ooh exciting times ahead!

-1.3c here

dewpoint -2.9c

This is all very good news in preperation for the front coming down Tues-

Lets say the uniform temperature at 6am tomorrow is around -4c then I can only see a window of around 2 hours where the temps get above freezing- ( & this is mainly towards London)

Temps plummet again Mon overnight before the cloud & PPN arrives Tues-

these are perfect starting conditions with rock solid frozen grounds & low temps-

Normally when we see a cold airmass arrives its ushering out milder air at the surface- not the case this week-

Everything is falling into place now at T0- t36 for the cold air to be in place- all we need is the snow to come-

Temp here now touched -3C

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Evening all,

Hope those of you in parts of Kent & Essex that experienced a few snow showers today, had fun. Lets hope that come mid-week all of the region get an invite to the party, fingers crossed we could well be seeing some memorable snowfall by the end of the week.

Sad day for me today, went to lay some flowers at my dear old mums graveside (her birthday today), up at Bromley Common, just off the A21.

And right on cue as I knelt to put the flowers down, we had the slightest of snow flurries, typical of my mum to produce some snow for her cold weather fanatic son.

Forgive me mods O/T but mum was born near Naples in southern Italy and had an accent resembling a female version of Gino D'Acampo. I can hear her to this day, totally perplexed by her sons obsession and fascination for cold weather and wondering why anyone would want to stay in a freezing cold kitchen and tune into Radio 4 at 12.45 a.m, while anybody in there right mind would be tucked up warm in bed. No central heating in the late-60s/early 70s, just a paraffin heater.

Apologies to any Italians reading this post and TEITS! :) She would deliver the following classic line:

"Why do ya wonna listena to the Shipping Forecasta, whena we dona even hava shipa?

Ah bless! God rest her soul.

I was always getting told off for opening curtains and doors to view snow falling. I was always the first one to offer to get a gallon of Esso Blue paraffin if it was snowing, though!

Sorry mods.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Heavy snow about to arrive

Whitstable

Herne Bay

Posted

Evening all,

Hope those of you in parts of Kent & Essex that experienced a few snow showers today, had fun. Lets hope that come mid-week all of the region get an invite to the party, fingers crossed we could well be seeing some memorable snowfall by the end of the week.

Sad day for me today, went to lay some flowers at my dear old mums graveside (her birthday today), up at Bromley Common, just off the A21.

And right on cue as I knelt to put the flowers down, we had the slightest of snow flurries, typical of my mum to produce some snow for her cold weather fanatic son.

Forgive me mods O/T but mum was born near Naples in southern Italy and had an accent resembling a female version of Gino D'Acampo. I can hear her to this day, totally perplexed by her sons obsession and fascination for cold weather and wondering why anyone would want to stay in a freezing cold kitchen and tune into Radio 4 at 12.45 a.m, while anybody in there right mind would be tucked up warm in bed. No central heating in the late-60s/early 70s, just a paraffin heater.

Apologies to any Italians reading this post and TEITS! :) She would deliver the following classic line:

"Why do ya wonna listena to the Shipping Forecasta, whena we dona even hava shipa?

I was always getting told off for opening curtains and doors to view snow falling. I was always the first one to offer to get a gallon of Esso Blue paraffin if it was snowing, though!

Sorry mods.

Regards,

Tom.

AAAwww, bless your mum Tom

Posted

no , these are the last showers of tonights snow... Unless more develop later

Ok thank you Neilsouth, got to be at work by 8am tomorrow dont wish to battle the elements in to Ashford in the morning.

looking interesting for the rest of the week though!!

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?ech=72&mode=1&map=0

Ecm is fantastic , trough right over us! wednesday

Posted

Sorry mods.

Regards,

Tom.

Tom - that's lovely. I always got told off too for opening curtains and doors and creeping around in the middle of the night to see if it was snowing.

Your mum sounds a real character.

Very quickly- a slight shift in directions of the showers in the estuary- they are moving West now....

Still a small chance of a few more flurries in the extreme south east of London & west/ North west kent-/ SE essex

S

Posted

Lots of shooting stars out tonight, very spectacular. Superb clear night here. West Ham lost and my husband has now got a 3 hour drive back to Lowestoft from Upton Park, he will arrive here like a very large bear with a sore head. At least there is no snow for him to worry about.

Posted

Been snowing lightly here again for the last half an hour, settling on areas that had seen some thaw in the sun and of course laying on top of the remaining snow and ice we have :)

Posted

We have a good stream of snow showers coming in ... been snowing on and off for the last couple of hours, although light it has left a nice dusting of snow on the ground, with the light winds it feels really nice out with the soft snow falling all around ...

Current temp in Ramsgate is +0.7c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

I've seen a couple of posts talking aboutthe first extreme met office warnings. If these are the red ones then they did put these out for the Thames Streamer in Feb 09.

Or are people talking about the first extreme warning for this winter?

Posted

Very quickly- a slight shift in directions of the showers in the estuary- they are moving West now....

Still a small chance of a few more flurries in the extreme south east of London & west/ North west kent-/ SE essex

S

To be honest I'd rather keep the clear skies here, as you said earlier get those temps as low as possible, esp being close to the estuary we tend to need to get as cold as possible.

I have to admit my journey back from Guildford to Essex on the 9th could be very very interesting...

Posted

Guys i am a little confused,are we going to see snow on friday or is it coming from wednesday like the metcheck says,sorry just thought we were expecting it friday? has it all changed now?cc_confused.gif

Posted

Guys i am a little confused,are we going to see snow on friday or is it coming from wednesday like the metcheck says,sorry just thought we were expecting it friday? has it all changed now?cc_confused.gif

Late tuesday , wednesday , thursday and friday

Posted

I think you will find the real extreme cold air pushes in on Wednesday opening the doors for heavy snow showers Thursday and then Friday ...

Check out that BBC forcast earlier on in the previous forum ... fantastic !!! drinks.gif

Evening all,

Sorry mods.

Regards,

Tom.

Tom,

My goodness you bought back some memories there and I just love that line

Chris

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Thanks guys,

Yes she was a character, as most Neapolitans are but even though she came from much warmer climes she actually loved snow, they dont get much of the white stuff on the plains 20 miles north of Naples but go a little further north and you're in the Appenines and obviously they get a lot of snow and have ski resorts near by at places like Campobasso.

Enough reminiscing about mamma!

We actually had a little dusting in places in Bromley today, did you have that lupiejan. Here's to a lot more this week! :)

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Hi wee. Slight changes and variances in model outputs can have big differences 24 hrs ahead, nevermind 3-6 days. I would say that going on the latest outputs it looks like we will get snow from wednesday afternoon onwards varying in intensity for 3-4 days after that.

However, this is suggested only with the proviso that by the next set of runs the timings of snow may have changed completely but the overall trend won't.

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted

just had a sugar dusting of snow here in west Dover... nothing much and I don't expect any more tonight.

Posted

Thanks guys,i have tried to watch the BBC forecast but keeps coming up Error,i am going to watch country file at 7 tonight,sounds very exciting,fingers crossed this really happens in huge amounts lolyahoo.gif

Posted

This week does look like it is going to turn into a '91 style event - the winter as a whole is even going to surpass it, i can hardly believe it.

Many part of the country have had snow on the ground for 2- 3 weeks now, with fresh snow falling to a depth of 10 cm again yesterday in yorks, lancs and the north east.

i'm holding my breath about the south event later this week but there are perhaps indications of it being even more extended than 91. Amazing synoptics which i thought i would never see again!

Posted

Snowing Again! :yahoo::yahoo:

Posted

Thanks guys,

Yes she was a character, as most Neapolitans are but even though she came from much warmer climes she actually loved snow, they dont get much of the white stuff on the plains 20 miles north of Naples but go a little further north and you're in the Appenines and obviously they get a lot of snow and have ski resorts near by at places like Campobasso.

Enough reminiscing about mamma!

We actually had a little dusting in places in Bromley today, did you have that lupiejan. Here's to a lot more this week! :yahoo:

Regards,

Tom.

Yes Tom, a tiny tiny dusting. I can cope with that. I was 4years old in the winter of 62/63 (do the maths). Like you I have seen extreme winters and extreme snow events. As nice as it would be to have a historical snow event it's a bit scary too. I'm a nurse. staff wouldn't get into work. Ambulances wont get through. It's a life threatening situation really.

Jan