Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

I'm dreading going to work this week. I'm a postie and I hate it having to work out in the ice. I hope my manager watches the forecast and makes a sensible decision, though give him his due he did keep us in for a couple of days the week before xmas as it was treacherous underfoot. Its a shame there is no legislation about people keeping there paths and the pavements outside their properties clear. Sorry OT oops.gif

Trouble is mate if you put salt on your path or try to clear the snow and it ices up and someone falls on it you are liable for

damages as YOU have created the hazard. I never clear the snow on my path for this reason. nonono.gif

Posted

I think what's going to be very bad is unlike the famous February event where i received up to a foot off snow it took 3 days to completely melt which is not that long. This event will be 100x more severe i could see us eclipsing those totals that i seen back then but the main thing is that it is not going to thaw at all for a good while. You think Wednesday snow and Thursday snow by then we could well see half a metre and by Friday Armageddon strikes and bingo there's over a foot off snow going nowhere. I have been also having a good chat with BFTP and he says also we could well see a pasting down here from the 14th too the 20th worth baring in mind.

Posted

That worries me though , the last time a low pressure center came over us it killed the showers off totaly! help.gifhelp.gif

I wouldnt worry at all about that, this is a rather different evolution to then...

the low comes down but notice the kink near Denmark, this is the develop front/low that could give some heavy more widespread snow before the showers really pack in. It's possible at the moment that the low keeps the main precip to our north instead and so we may need the easterly airflow to give us the real goodies BUT I really wouldn't like to put a punt on it at the moment, depends on exactly how the front/low combo lineup.

Posted

Lightest of light dustings here in Halling, due to a passing shower that developed over Sheppey and headed over Bluebell Hill, though we only caught the edge.

Pavement and Vehicle sufaces so cold though that even the lightest of showers gives an immediate covering. (Even though you could still count the individual flakes!)

Posted

Well what a cracking days weather today.

I decided on a little trip from Iwade this afternoon, over the N Downs to Detling and then along the A20 to Charing and then onto Challock and Wye.

The trip up Detling Hill from Sittingbourne was a bit dicey with only one lane open and heavy snow. The weather then cleared until Lenham where the snow started falling again. The snow then fell all the way to Wye.

Max depths were probably on our return and around Challock/Charing (top of Downs) where there was around 5cms. By this time the snow was falling hard at around 5pm and the roads were white. The snow then fell continuously along the A20 back to Lenham, with much of the road covered.

By the time we got back to Iwade the land was green but I have just looked out and everything is now white here too!

All in all a great start to the cold spell today, no marginal stuff, all light powdery snow. Infact at the top of the Downs the ground was rock solid under the snow.

So today saw the start of at least 10 days of snow cover for parts of North/Mid Kent, cant moan at that in a 'modern' winter.

James

Posted

I have just checked Metcheck,and they are telling me that Brighton will have snow from wednesday night and ongoing through to sat night,are they just covering themselves?

turn the country file on and watch the weather !!!

Posted

Just a quick question, if, for example, we had say 5mm on prec is that referring to rain or snow? as i have heard thats is 1 inch of rain for 10 inches of snow?

Posted

I've got to do my weather outlook on Town 102 in the morning for the week ahead. Going to be difficult to forecast the end of the week.

At least this time it's cold enough to settle on coasts! yahoo.gif

(P.S. Loving the 510 DAM on the fax charts)

Posted

Moderator / Hosting Team

Hi there,

is there any chance of the boards temporarily allowing PHP extensions on images, during this very lively and ever changing cold snap.

Nearly all my live data and graphs etc all use .php (so that they can live update) but the restriction doesn't allow me to post some good information,

Thanks

Posted

I'm dreading going to work this week. I'm a postie and I hate it having to work out in the ice. I hope my manager watches the forecast and makes a sensible decision, though give him his due he did keep us in for a couple of days the week before xmas as it was treacherous underfoot. Its a shame there is no legislation about people keeping there paths and the pavements outside their properties clear. Sorry OT :drinks:

I am really looking forward to the forthcoming event...........honest :lol:

Don't envy you either, but legally, if one clears the public path outside of one's house of snow and ice and then someone has a fall or hurts themselves on what remains, the person who clears the path is potentially liable for legal recompense; meaning you can be sued by the person who falls.

There were big debates about this in past severe winters. Some councils will recommend that you do nothing to public paths. However, I do not know of any actual cases of this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Cool, thanks for the reminder of Countryfile, should be on in about 10 mins right?

Posted

I can beat that, i have Norfolk to Guildford on Tues night, then back again Thursday night :air_kiss:

Ohhh, close, North Norfolk to West London (early) tomorrow, supposedly returning late Thursday. Will change it to earlier in the week if it looks as though it's going to be bad. Could be fun for both of us

Posted

Woo! T wells I live there any idea of the weather is gonna be like here?

A fellow Wellsian, eh? :air_kiss:

I'm hoping we'll get snow here from Wednesday onwards. Watch the weather on Countryfile (BBC One) in about 10-15 mins.

Edited by GSDog