Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

MAF

Posted

Are you in Danbury, your elevation suggests so. Think the heaviest precipitation has passed me by unfortunately.

Yes, right on the top of the hill. Snow has eased off now.

Posted

Im sorry but the charts including the fax show and very good easterly for sat and sat night. I believe there will be heavy showers turning into prolonged snow. Don't trust the forcasts and the charts don't normally read convection very easily so don't give up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Are you in Danbury, your elevation suggests so. Think the heaviest precipitation has passed me by unfortunately.

I had thought exactly the same thing, as the next nearest place with that elevation is Brentwood, in which case Brentwood would have been mentioned.biggrin.gif

Edited by Speed67

Posted

I will prob get shot down for this but if the weather this weekend looks to be marginal and sleet is forcast with warmer temps then that is a good thing we need a break from this weather. We need the councils to get more grit in to keep the roads clear when this happens again later on in the month and some of us havve to earn a living. Tobogganing will not pay the bills and some have to be able to get food so i say roll on the warmer weather.

We do not live in the artic so why expect this sort of weather to keep going. Keep it real and don't be too dissapointed if we get warmer for a while the winters of ol for those who can remember had milder spells within them too.

Posted

I hate to ask, but...

My mum keeps talking about being me being 'stuck' at hers over the weekend (I live in the town, she lives about 12 miles outside, however i realy on buses), as apparently weather forcasts today have been saying the we are going to recieve siginficant snow on saturday night into sunday..

can anyone clarify this for me, have scoured various internet sites and nothing siginifant at the moment is catching my attension

don't know the part your in Ipswich but the forecast for here this weekend is pretty horrible heavy snow blizzards diffing snow sub zero temp with wind chill

and here two radars to look at

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

http://www.meteox.nl/gmapstatic.aspx?zoom=6&type=zoom&x=250&y=221

I will prob get shot down for this but if the weather this weekend looks to be marginal and sleet is forcast with warmer temps then that is a good thing we need a break from this weather. We need the councils to get more grit in to keep the roads clear when this happens again later on in the month and some of us havve to earn a living. Tobogganing will not pay the bills and some have to be able to get food so i say roll on the warmer weather.

We do not live in the artic so why expect this sort of weather to keep going. Keep it real and don't be too dissapointed if we get warmer for a while the winters of ol for those who can remember had milder spells within them too.

This coming from the holder of the SACRA list! :good:

Posted

Yes, right on the top of the hill. Snow has eased off now.

i know danbury parents live in runsell lane also missus works there,always does very well out of snow

Posted

Hear Hear !

Posted

just watching it now Mick, seen it before but worth watching again

yep. if only to have a laugh at Paul :p:good:

reckon he has more chance of seeing a twister than seeing snow at the moment :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Ooooh that was pleasant, eat my dinner a while ago then fell asleep for an hour, now have woken up to snow, those showers slowly have worked there way over to here.

P.S will everyone stop talking down the cold spell long before it has got here? It has not even been mentioned on weather forcasts that it is going to be sleet or rain on coasts for saturday/sunday. It may happen, it may not but come on chill a bit.! :good:

Posted

there's a blob of ppn working it's way towards ipswich now. looks like it should track right over us.

Posted

just watching it now Mick, seen it before but worth watching again

WTF

Is it Natures Fury being Re-Run :good: :lol:

Posted

Tut Tut, Holder of the SACRA list wanting warmer weather :good:

In truth, I'm pretty close to agreeing with you, but I think you will not see much rain this weekend, it will be all snow

Posted

Stronger looking return on th NW radar, looks like it may be a nice snow shower for folks around Witham/Chelmsford area perhaps.

regards,

Steve ( Leigh-on-Sea )

Posted

Got another nice dusting so far tonight and some nice larger flakes in there as well too

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Don't hold much hope for north/east kent later no snow showers are developing in the southern north sea away from the low pressure...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: We've hit the giant daddy jackpot!

weather for this weekend looks like it is backtracking into a disappointment from what I have seen, reading posts and seeing TV forecasts - Saturday might see some convective showery stuff from the North sea and Sunday which is still up in the air looks like bringing only light snow inland and maybe sleety/rain nearer the coasts! - but who knows might all change.

Quite possibly. So far there hasn't been any real prolonged spell of snow for the region. The "extreme weather" incident that occurred earlier this week was rather overdone by the Met Office I think. Extreme snowfall should be 48 to 72 hours of prolonged snowfall(not necessarily very heavy as moderate snowfall with heavy drifting can be far worse)with deep drifting. This occurred regularly in the 1970's winters and the forecasters never referred to them as extreme. I think the "severe" bar has been dropped to silly levels. :good:

Edited by maxiboy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

The winter of '63 certainly wasn't sub zero all the time. I think the very coldest time might have been between about 15th and 25th Jan, when it was mostly continuously sub zero.

I think the mean CET Jan temperature was -2.1C, which was the coldest month of 20th Century. February 63 too had a negative CET. Feb 1947 had a CET ( I think) of -1.9C

Certainly a very impressive winter, but it had brief less cold periods. So I imagine we'll cope with this, whatever.biggrin.gif

Edited by Speed67

Posted

don't know the part your in Ipswich but the forecast for here this weekend is pretty horrible heavy snow blizzards diffing snow sub zero temp with wind chill

and here two radars to look at

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

http://www.meteox.nl...oom&x=250&y=221

thank you, i live in the town centre, however my mum lives in martlesham, so more towards the coast than me.....

I have sworn by the raintoday radar this week, never seen the other website before.....showing a few showers for tonight too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Moan Alert!

Yes, I've got to say, bit of a disappointment around here really. One day of snow, less than Feb 09, then a shower or 2 if we are lucky. I don't feel like this is an exceptional winter for me - last Jan was very cold and dry for a couple of weeks - so no big deal. The weekend looks like a downgrade and I'm just feeling a bit deflated. :rofl: Surely I can't be the only one here feeling like this.

Of course lots of people elsewhere have had a fantastic snow event, pleased for them of course, but am just not feeling the vibe - on a bit of a come down after the last few days excitement. I know things could change in the next couple of days, but it has always been 2/3/4/days away until the big one here. Same old same old.....

What happened to the bitter easterlies and all that snow huh? :rofl: Where is that Thames Streamer :good: Why are the lows dying? Such promise...

Would have liked to go sledging on fresh snow but imagine all the school free kids will have left me a muddy ice run by Saturday :rofl:

I should book a skiing holiday shouldn't I?

Moan over, thanks for listening....

Posted

It is mate and just tuned in on time to see your mug :good:

I am on it more in Part 4 as well - Now that is proper weather

Softball Sized Hailstones falling at 100mph - Only 100 odd days to go

Yippppeeeee :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Posted

Got another nice dusting so far tonight and some nice larger flakes in there as well too

Glad you have had a bit more. Very quiet over here since this morning but temps at -6 :good:

Edited by hobbielancie

Posted
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)

Totally agree with this post.

As much as I love snow, I really want it to warm up now. A lot of businesses are really struggling now and this cold weather is having a huge negative impact on our economy.

I am hoping that the GFS is right and it begins to warm up by middle of next week! :good:

Edited by North Londoner