Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

This might be a divvy question Neil but how do you grab screenshots like you've done in your post? PM if you can with explanation (if you don't mind)

Lee.

Screengrab if you're using Firefox.

Posted

for people like me waiting for this band to move west i think it has started to move west once again, after stalling for the last hour, increasing cloud cover here in easten side of west sussex.

Just started snowing in Haywards Heath, after waiting for the band to move West for a while!

Posted

Not all of Kent, mainly seems to be Central and Eastern areas. Here in the west most has decayed before it reaches us, this NE wind is really annoying!

Another 20 to 30 miles further west would see us both happy!

Posted

Not all of Kent, mainly seems to be Central and Eastern areas. Here in the west most has decayed before it reaches us, this NE wind is really annoying!

It's not decaying, it's still moving westwards. Don't panic!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

The wind is really getting up now here, can hear it down the chimney, going to some big drifts in places, particularly as the snow falling now is more dry and powdery

Posted

Heavy Snow 2000 Sat 9 2359 Sun 10

There is a high risk of severe weather affecting Essex, Kent, East Sussex and eastern parts of West Sussex. Outbreaks of snow starting on Saturday afternoon will become heavy and persistent during the evening and last into Sunday. 7 to 12 cm of fresh level snow are expected widely with 10 to 20 cm locally. Drifting in the very strong winds will cause even greater accumulations in places. Disruption to transport networks is possible.

It is expected that this Early Warning will be superseded by Flash messages.

Issued at: 1217 Sat 9 Jan

28 Hours :crazy::rofl:

Guest Quantumsnow

Finally some slight western movement again. Completely cloudy here at last, keep seeing the odd tiny flake blow in the wind but guess it could be coming off that already laying.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
Posted

Heavy Snow 2000 Sat 9 2359 Sun 10

There is a high risk of severe weather affecting Essex, Kent, East Sussex and eastern parts of West Sussex. Outbreaks of snow starting on Saturday afternoon will become heavy and persistent during the evening and last into Sunday. 7 to 12 cm of fresh level snow are expected widely with 10 to 20 cm locally. Drifting in the very strong winds will cause even greater accumulations in places. Disruption to transport networks is possible.

It is expected that this Early Warning will be superseded by Flash messages.

Issued at: 1217 Sat 9 Jan

28 Hours :drinks::good:

Nice.

Are you worried about this N wind over our region atm Paul?

Seems to be sheering and decaying these showers...

Posted

Is it wrong for me to say London won't come in to play today?

That band seems to be pushing well inland...

(I'm clutching at straws here.. Gutted)

People are so bloody impatient!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-

Its edging west- with now some darker blues heading in towards essex- clacton etc....

Steve

Interesting is the temp here- peaked at 0.5c in the sun- now dropped to 0.3c, all we need is a tad of snow & were away- no real thaw today-

Posted

Honestly some of you will have a heart attack if you carry on. Let it evolve, it's like your trying to monitor every single thing to annonounce downgrade. This will be a long period of snow for many, and whilst people can post what they want, I think some need to chill out ever so slightly.

Met Office will likely need to further update warnings as the period passes, in fact for those wanting this to push through quickly, your mad, the slower the better, I can assure you.

Posted
It's very noticeable that, on NetWX 5min radar imagery, the echoes over the SE have developed transverse banding to the flow in the last few hours. IE we've moved from a shower training regime to release of another form of instability in addition to PBL convective instability.

As flow aloft is weak and there is no evidence of Gravity Wave activity on satellite imagery I suspect the release of Symmetric and/or Inertial Instability aloft. The Herstmonceux 12Z ascent should be interesting.

This has the potential to substantially enhance snowfall over Essex, Kent, Sussex. I'm not sure, looking at Invent, that the UKMO mesoscale model has picked up on this.

:drinks::good: :good: :clap:

Waghorn on ukww

Posted

there is something not right about this event. i have a little feeling that its gonna be a bit of a let down. i could be and hope i am wrong

We've seen brief - and I mean two to five minute bursts of varying intensity - showers so far this morning. Waiting in anticipation for something more prolonged.

Posted

Hoping wind makes slight change to more of an Easterly as all this shower activity missing us to the East of London right now.

Now got complete cloud cover which will help keep temps cold and wind chill making it feel bitter out there.

Hopefully bit of snow later.

Posted

Just started snowing in Haywards Heath, after waiting for the band to move West for a while!

so glad, stating snowing lightly here toowhistling.gif

lets hope it doesent decay to quick for us west sussex(ers) rolleyes.gif

Posted

Here it comes again , goes much darker aswell... lights on soon lol

Edited by neilsouth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

Has anyone else been unlucky like me to get no more than 2cm of snow this winter. Seams to be a poor place for snow, I might have to move after this winter :) Guessing anywhere north east of me into central London must be the same.

YEA MAN im like 1 train stop from u thames ditton, i would say this sucks but my college has still been closed because of it for 3 days.

if u trys going out of town to the SW u'll find ureself in foot deep snow i tell you.