Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

People worried about this band need not worry. We are now entering an area of more instability and this band will be self perpetuating as it moves east.

Rather than a band it will just keep on coming and without a doubt grow in intensity, especially for those areas south and east of London.

If you look at the radar image you can see as it moves west it grows again on its eastern flank.

Snowing here nicely just SW of Faversham now, nothing too heavy but the wind is strengthening all the time bringing heavier bursts in downdrafts and lots of blowing snow.

EDIT its now hammering down!!!

James

Posted

Warm Front still on the French/German Border if you look at the latest Sat Pic :)

This is the trough ahead of the Upper Warm Front which was on the UKMO Fax Last Night, looks to me like this will affect more than just Kent and much more expansive, I'd expect Essex to come into an Advisory in the next few hours.

Main Course Yet to come from the Sat Pic Though!

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any type.

Morning all, Folkestone Central branch of the LPWA (Lampost Watchers Anonymous) clocking on for the day shift!

Light to moderate snow here. Have 1cm to 2cm extra perhaps. Mixture of snizzle, pellets and flakes so far this morning. But... With a 33 to 47mph N'Easterly at Langdon Bay the blob lurking up out of France is just about to encounter it. Bugger! I think we're really in for it!

You can see what i mean here http://www.meteox.co...&soort=satradar

Edited by Lazarus

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Lots and lots of people panic buying near here , came out of the store to a blizzard.... heavy snow blasting across the city center of herne bay !. Still got nigh on 5inches !

Posted

Do you think we'll get anything from this today/tomorrow? I fear I'm too far inland, I really hope not whistling.gif

Bit of a slow burner for us Essex folk at the moment, it's on it's way but not ion a hurry lol

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

People worried about this band need not worry. We are now entering an area of more instability and this band will be self perpetuating as it moves east.

Rather than a band it will just keep on coming and without a doubt grow in intensity, especially for those areas south and east of London.

If you look at the radar image you can see as it moves west it grows again on its eastern flank.

Snowing here nicely just SW of Faversham now, nothing too heavy but the wind is strengthening all the time bringing heavier bursts in downdrafts and lots of blowing snow.

EDIT its now hammering down!!!

James

Thanks for that reassurance and summary Barometric. I was rather worried it would fizzle out before it reaches us, as many other bands have. Hope your right! :clap:

Posted

I've also been watching the radar's and seeing a NNE wind plus the low over europe pushing west making a combination of weather/showers towards Kent, Essex and SE London could this be a fine time for snow in our area ??

Posted

Despite it snowing moderately with strong winds, we also have a very slow thaw going on as well. Most odd.

yeah same here, although the snow is topping up its melting underneath, currently 2.4c

Posted

temps going up here as well now at 0.3c and little in the way of ppn but quite grey, wind at about 12/13mph from the NE - the beeb are expecting upto 10cms tonight in this region and possibly upto 20cms on the downs but largely stated tonight.

yeah same here, although the snow is topping up its melting underneath, currently 2.4c

what are your dewpoints?

Posted

Hmm. Netweather radar says my house is now under that band, but it's dry here. Odd, the NW radar is usually spot on. Maybe the snow is evaporating before it reaches the ground???

At last, a few flakes.

Posted

That's some high drifting.

Whatever just blew through here was quite something, heavy snow, extreme gusts of wind, low visibility, like a minature blizzard! :unsure:

If it had lasted for three hours+ it would have been an actual blizzard by definition, so pretty much actual blizzard conditions for a time, wind gusts need to be at 35mph+ with heavy blowing snow and lowered visibility which it seems you had. Must have been awesome!

Posted

So is this lot pushing NW the start of the main band from france or just some nice shower bands ahead of the main stuff?