Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Where is this band of snow coming from? because i can't see any?nonono.gif the lot over the netherlands is heading towards EA not Kent. This is going to be a damp squid

lol I think you have far more chance of snow than me!!

Posted

Just had a stroll up to the A414 and its crawling along with a lot of snow on the road. You should be OK but lots more snow to the NE moving through in the next 90 minutes.

thanks ocean transit,sorry to keep bendin your ear like this,is this band of showers set in for the nite for our part of essepardon.gif x

Posted

Missed the main band all day and now missed the band that has appeared in the west, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! wallbash.gif

my sis just sent me pics from eastbourne, evilunsure.gif

post-10842-12630553487142_thumb.png

so close yet so far

Edited by thegreat316

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Has anyone else been unlucky like me to get no more than 2cm of snow this winter. Seams to be a poor place for snow, I might have to move after this winter :yahoo: Guessing anywhere north east of me into central London must be the same.

Yes, you're right - the same in Putney/Wandsworth. Even in snowier times, London - especially southern & western - is often off the main snow tracks...probably one of the reasons it was originally settled by our ancestors.

In many northerly/north-easterly set-ups the snow can dump severely on the high ground of Hampstead and Highgate, but not make it much further - the height also helps make it settling snow while the lower ground of the Thames basin has sleet. North-easterlies & easterlies also frequently - as now - hit the bulges of East Anglia & Kent (particularly the North Downs), sometimes getting into east & especially south-east London, but not significantly further west. It takes the lucky break of the "Thames Streamer" (like last February), or more general low-pressure or frontal snow, to hit us properly - and even then the the higher ground all around often seems to create a bit of a "snow shadow". I've noticed the same thing in the town of Crickhowell on the River Usk in South Wales, surrounded as it is by hills and mountains in all directions.

Posted

Neil

Maybe - But you got a good dumping earlier you were lucky - here it has been ok but not the deluge that I was expecting because of the veering of the wind. Still tonight could and may still deliver as Kent is still in the mind's eye's of the forecasters lol! drinks.gif

Not sure where you are in Medway Snowfish, where I am I have about 6 inches and more forecast for tonight. I am over the moon drinks.gif

Posted

Why the lull? Wheres the upper warm front? Or is it all over?

Looking at the wider Euro NW radar, that stuff over on the continent looks kinda weak, hope the track across the North Sea peps things up..! :yahoo:

regards,

Steve

Posted
  • Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Guildford, Surrey
  • Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Guildford, Surrey

Snowing in North West London and very windy! cc_confused.gif

It's been a while since I was last in North West London, but does your picture show what it looks like these days?

:)

CB

Where is the blizzard like snow,or is it still to come,can anyone help?cc_confused.gif

everything in the SE is convective & enhanced by the advancing warm front which is just approaching the french coast....

Poor UKMO tonight-

UW120-21.GIF?09-17

If you warm weather..............

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

Not even a cm in Abbey Wood to add to the 2cm that's fallen throughout the whole week.

Hey suxx to always being on the EDGE of things... i got about that too...

COME ON LONDON YOU ICY BIT**!! [ general M25 sw london and staines massive area included]

Edited by OldGreggsTundraBoy

Posted

About 2cm down here in C London... The showers made it further East than I imagined...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

So guys, what is the actual plan now? Are there going to be more showers developing over the north sea or is that area of snow over Holland going to shift west towards us? It looks quite light snow over there at the moment. Will it pep up before it gets here?

Posted

Where is this band of snow coming from? because i can't see any?nonono.gif the lot over the netherlands is heading towards EA not Kent. This is going to be a damp squid

Damp squid :) :)

Posted

Where is the blizzard like snow,or is it still to come,can anyone help?cc_confused.gif

Im beginning to wonder if we are going to see anything else here,

on and off showers all day, not really laying!

current temp 2.6c.

we seem to be very unlucky with only a few showers here during the last week.

Posted

I am totally amazed at how much I have here, I have never seen this much snow in my life! Truly amazing and it just keeps on falling!

Anyway, pics as you requested...

Great pics! You got a lot there nice. :)

Well the snow here stopped for the past hour or so, but the clouds look dark over the channel again and it looks like another "blob" forming over north France not sure if that will pick up some more?