Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Along with the bankers, the politicians and the weather guys who are all over paid - they should all be accountable to someone and if they get their jobs wrong they should have appropriate action taken against them - if not it makes a mockery of the responsible nature of these jobs and we are all suckered in to paying for these people without getting value for money

agreed

they are throwing 'severe' weather warnings out there willy nilly, so much so that people, me included, are disregarding ANYTHING they say now.

it is going to backfire SPECTACULARLY on them one day, and lots of people are going to be adversely affected. then they'll say, 'well, we did warn you!'

not good enough.

anyone reading this from the Haverfordwest area who can tell me the state of the side/country roads down there?

We don't get paid £190,000 to make mistakes though

exactly. the whole department may as well not exist at all the way they are going.

Posted

Reason hes so well paid sombody has to stand and spout the gm debate down our throats, with facts and fiction rammed down our throat in a goverment shock horror campaign.hes not paid for for his outstanding abilities hes paid for boosting goverments gm taxation policy.

I didn't think of that angle but you are absolutely right - the met office couldn't change their forecast of a mild winter just before Copenhagen otherwise they would have looked silly and the government wouldn't have been impressed either - along with that I suppose it's quite possible they are under the "governments agenda" so as to back up, like you said, their taxation policies. Global warming suits them right now even if it hasn't been 100% proved but if the winters over the coming couple of decades continue like this because of solor minima then the yearly CETs will drop and the global warming theory will go out the window and they'll have to find something else to tax us on

Posted

We don't get paid £190,000 to make mistakes though

Okay, it's disgusting the amount some people are paid but that's just life... pathetic.

Maybe other may do a better job but forecasting isn't easy... they're covering their arses most of the time and next week can anyone have confidence at what the situation will be? no, so leave them cover themselves... it's better than not putting warnings out and having chaos.

I have experienced heavy snow and accumulation with no warnings before, that's the problems the Met Office need to sort out.

Posted

last real 'biggie' was 82. everywhere got slammed then. there have been events since, which were big for some, but not all, but 82 was definitely the big one.

on a side note, I am delivering around the Haverfordwest area tomorrow. what are the side/country roads like down there now?

Not good apparently. My parents and sister live down there. Sister was cut off for a couple of days, and they had some more moderate snow this morning.

Posted

Sorry Ali - but even I was suckered by the met office's computers on this one but we still have tuesday into wednesday in the short term and the rest of the winter in the long term

lol don't be daft.... everyone was. But guess what ? I believe, I believe, I believe. lol I even dreamt about it last night, so it has got to happen. lol Hope you got your car sorted.

Posted

Not good apparently. My parents and sister live down there. Sister was cut off for a couple of days, and they had some more moderate snow this morning.

ok, thanks. got a few to do out in the sticks, so i'll just have to see how it goes.

Posted

lol don't be daft.... everyone was. But guess what ? I believe, I believe, I believe. lol I even dreamt about it last night, so it has got to happen. lol Hope you got your car sorted.

Fraid not, the car is still stuck - I'm waiting to get a towing eye from somewhere tomorrow and then I'll try and get the tractor to get me out before the blizzard on tuesday into wednesday which could dump another 2 - 3ft up here + drifting as the winds are progged to be 25 mph+ gusts - won't even get it out then unless you'd like to come and dig it out

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Benny, I havent been out today, but although we had snow all day it has barely made any difference to the levels where there isn't any. ie it has only laid on top of existing snow and ice, but even then only minor additions.

Yesterday when I was out and about, all main and semi main roads were mostly fine, however out in the sticks,it is a bit different. If there has been sun on it, its gone. Otherwise it was quite thick with ice, that I wasn't prepared to drive on - and I drive a 3.5 ton van. If you are going to small rural estate and properties you willl need to judge each road with care. I should also add actually that even my cul de sac in Milford still ahs thick ice on it, but it's quite drivable with care - at least it was. Frost tonight (?) might make a diffrence.

There has been practically no real heavey snow that I am aware off in the area.

woody

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

Fraid not, the car is still stuck - I'm waiting to get a towing eye from somewhere tomorrow and then I'll try and get the tractor to get me out before the blizzard on tuesday into wednesday which could dump another 2 - 3ft up here + drifting as the winds are progged to be 25 mph+ gusts - won't even get it out then unless you'd like to come and dig it out

Don't want to sound smug, but we've done a few cheap(ish) skiing holidays in France during the last few years, and have some snow chains in the boot! drinks.gif Could probably fit a volvo - 17" 155s?

Posted

Benny, I havent been out today, but although we had snow all day it has barely made any difference to the levels where there isn't any. ie it has only laid on top of existing snow and ice, but even then only minor additions.

Yesterday when I was out and about, all main and semi main roads were mostly fine, however out in the sticks,it is a bit different. If there has been sun on it, its gone. Otherwise it was quite thick with ice, that I wasn't prepared to drive on - and I drive a 3.5 ton van. If you are going to small rural estate and properties you willl need to judge each road with care. I should also add actually that even my cul de sac in Milford still ahs thick ice on it, but it's quite drivable with care - at least it was. Frost tonight (?) might make a diffrence.

There has been practically no real heavey snow that I am aware off in the area.

woody

oK, thanks woody. I'll be doing my mechanised Torville and Dean impersonation tomorrow again then. lol

i'm getting quite good at this driving on ice lark now, but it only takes one slip, doesn't it?

Posted

Don't want to sound smug, but we've done a few cheap(ish) skiing holidays in France during the last few years, and have some snow chains in the boot! drinks.gif Could probably fit a volvo - 17" 155s?

Thank you very much - how did you find the snow chains as I've never had any experience with them? - I've read about some horror stories where they come off and end up round the drive shaft and ruin your car costing hundreds in repairs - also scratching of the alloys - my wheel sizes are 225/45/17 - I have a local farmer with a 4 wheel drive tractor who is ready to pull me out once I get this towing eye. I was doing really well with my volvo s60 as it has a stc traction system even though it's only front wheel drive - but on the suggestion of my gfriend we ended up going down her country lane instead of up it as she thought it "might be fun" and I ended up in a "bowl" in the road with no way forward or back because of the inclines. It's parked up safely and a neighbouring farmer is keeping an eye on it.

Edited by andymusic

Posted

ummm let me thinkwacko.gif 2-3ft snow, drifting, blizzards, 25mph winds.... versus... in Magor No snow, probably rain, no chance of taboggoning? sounds ok to me... oh but then, no food at yours only your girlfriends foot.......and polar bears as neighbours. Need to think long and hard here. I will let you know. help.gif

Posted

ummm let me thinkwacko.gif 2-3ft snow, drifting, blizzards, 25mph winds.... versus... in Magor No snow, probably rain, no chance of taboggoning? sounds ok to me... oh but then, no food at yours only your girlfriends foot.......and polar bears as neighbours. Need to think long and hard here. I will let you know. help.gif

We had some supplies dropped by my dad last night (he lives in cardiff) and he couldn't believe what a difference the conditions we had to the ones that were in cardiff - very rural and the weather has a more than un fair advantage over us!

I did manage to get my gfriends mondeo estate out of the snow today mind so we're back on the road again - but I'll be alot happier when I've got my baby back - my volvo s60 in gold

Posted

Bit of snow here, too and settling now...

A little more precipitation running/developing along the s coast. Perhaps a sprinkling after all?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

a few flakes falling here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

snowing here.

Posted

Nothing doing in the Rhymney Valley but I'm just off to Cardiff - lets see whats happening on Caerphilly Mountain later this evening

Andy - not sure where your seeing blizzards and 2 to 3 foot drifts in Ponty later this week - things look like their just starting to return to normal for a while from what I can make of things

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL

We've had on and off light snow all day here in Cwmbran and it really pepped up while we were sat down at the dinner table and we all cheered and got excited but it only lasted about 1 minute and then carried on as slight snow....flurries and the like...

i can't believe our local schools are closed yet again tomorrow Croesyceiliog Comp and Pontnewydd primary and there's been no sign of any council attempting to clear the access roads and the playgrounds and parking areas for staff....poor show.

My missus and the kids are all downbeat today because the weather warnings for lots of snow seem to have been downplayed and I tried to tell tem " Look you lot, there's still ice/snow packed roads outside, many people can't get out of their streets, 7 inches of snow still in back yard....seems to have shrunk..sure it was about 9 inches....and some really pretty scenery.."

The missus said it's not the same...." we want the chaos and the mayhem " ...ah, so that's what its all about then....we don't want the snow really, we just wanty the madness.....hmmmm unusual human thinking....

I agree though, i don't think it's the snow i want, i just want the deep totals and the drifting and the severe cold.. maybe its because the temperate climate we live in. perhaps we wouldn't be wishing for such chaos if we lived in countries hat got down to -40C when your skin freezes and frostbite takes a few toes off you every year !!

Anyway, Wednesday morning looks interesting, unfortunately, the Met Office have issued a warning and for some reason now I've lost a bit of faith.....I don't envy the job they do, but I do envy the amount of salary some of them get paid...and the annual bonusses.... don't get me going now...

Why has Gordon brown called the army in to help in the South East ? Why have they taken control of rock salt supplies ? Are they relying on the Met Office as well ? I wonder if the government know of how the future weather will play out and they know the winter is going to be a long one.....maybe they've captured an alien spacecraft and were able to decipher our future weather forecasts using alien technology....

I think I'd better stop eating too much cheese, getting strange thoughts in the daytime lol

Bullworker

Cwmbran 150m asl Upper Cwmbran - 5 miles east of Newport

Posted

Nothing doing in the Rhymney Valley but I'm just off to Cardiff - lets see whats happening on Caerphilly Mountain later this evening

Andy - not sure where your seeing blizzards and 2 to 3 foot drifts in Ponty later this week - things look like their just starting to return to normal for a while from what I can make of things

If you're from the rhumney valley then your in the prime location for even more snow than me - the low from the atlantic will be coming in and may be on the coasts but certainly in land there will be 25 mph winds with gusts and heavy snow (a dumping) just like previous times when this has accured both the beeb, meto and itv wales forecasting pros are going for this event - normal temps ain't returned just yet and probably won't totally return until the weekend and even then only for a couple of days before we head back into the freezer

We've had on and off light snow all day here in Cwmbran and it really pepped up while we were sat down at the dinner table and we all cheered and got excited but it only lasted about 1 minute and then carried on as slight snow....flurries and the like...

i can't believe our local schools are closed yet again tomorrow Croesyceiliog Comp and Pontnewydd primary and there's been no sign of any council attempting to clear the access roads and the playgrounds and parking areas for staff....poor show.

My missus and the kids are all downbeat today because the weather warnings for lots of snow seem to have been downplayed and I tried to tell tem " Look you lot, there's still ice/snow packed roads outside, many people can't get out of their streets, 7 inches of snow still in back yard....seems to have shrunk..sure it was about 9 inches....and some really pretty scenery.."

The missus said it's not the same...." we want the chaos and the mayhem " ...ah, so that's what its all about then....we don't want the snow really, we just wanty the madness.....hmmmm unusual human thinking....

I agree though, i don't think it's the snow i want, i just want the deep totals and the drifting and the severe cold.. maybe its because the temperate climate we live in. perhaps we wouldn't be wishing for such chaos if we lived in countries hat got down to -40C when your skin freezes and frostbite takes a few toes off you every year !!

Anyway, Wednesday morning looks interesting, unfortunately, the Met Office have issued a warning and for some reason now I've lost a bit of faith.....I don't envy the job they do, but I do envy the amount of salary some of them get paid...and the annual bonusses.... don't get me going now...

Why has Gordon brown called the army in to help in the South East ? Why have they taken control of rock salt supplies ? Are they relying on the Met Office as well ? I wonder if the government know of how the future weather will play out and they know the winter is going to be a long one.....maybe they've captured an alien spacecraft and were able to decipher our future weather forecasts using alien technology....

I think I'd better stop eating too much cheese, getting strange thoughts in the daytime lol

Bullworker

Cwmbran 150m asl Upper Cwmbran - 5 miles east of Newport

love the alien technology idea but i think you've been watching the x-files a little too much - thanks for the support about the met office - I'd love an over paid job where if I made mistakes I still got over paid and didn't lose my job - be fantastic that!

OH yeah - we got light snow with huge flakes at the mo!

Edited by andymusic

Posted

We had some supplies dropped by my dad last night (he lives in cardiff) and he couldn't believe what a difference the conditions we had to the ones that were in cardiff - very rural and the weather has a more than un fair advantage over us!

I did manage to get my gfriends mondeo estate out of the snow today mind so we're back on the road again - but I'll be alot happier when I've got my baby back - my volvo s60 in gold

Not going to feel sorry for you anymore then, just bloody jelious. lol Poor g/f you and that volvo sound very very close (well it would if it were not stuck lol).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Had light snow for about an hour now, but not really sticking as being blown about in the wind too much, still, any chance of a dusting overnight?

Posted

Not going to feel sorry for you anymore then, just bloody jelious. lol Poor g/f you and that volvo sound very very close (well it would if it were not stuck lol).

Thanks Ali - maybe they could make a hollywood film about how a guy and his car were parted in a snow storm only to be reunited again after his epic trudge to go and get a towing eye for it - Bruce Willis could play me and the car could be played by "HERBIE" and maybe you could play Bruce's gf

If you look on the meto's radar then take a look at Ireland - I think that's where all our snow for today has ended up - it looks like Ireland has nicked our snowfest!

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Thanks Ali - maybe they could make a hollywood film about how a guy and his car were parted in a snow storm only to be reunited again after his epic trudge to go and get a towing eye for it - Bruce Willis could play me and the car could be played by "HERBIE" and maybe you could play Bruce's gf

lol Bruce Willis eh? well i would watch it if Richard Gere or Mel Gibson or that guy from the Holiday Jude Law I think were playing you..... but Herbie sounds great. lol