Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 5

Posted

Did they?

Being a saddo, i watched almost every forecast from 6.30 last night thru to 11.30 last night, then i watched a few from 9.30 this morn until about 11.30.

All forecasts were a change from early Sat morn or Fri eve.

Yup, around the 8:30pm and 9:00pm forecasts they did show more snow...... I'm sure some other mebers on here also posted about it.

Relying on the BBC much? :yahoo: :lol:

Posted

Im the same . . either crisp and white or nothing for me . . cant be doing with the annoying icy slush stage that people break their neck on.

Janet x

Add me to the list! Quick thaw please!

Posted

Well for my tuppence worth you have to remember that forecasting the weather is not a exact science. The MO did not get it wrong, they did not even know. Remember they only predict what could happen, not what will happen. Thats all predicting is, using the computer and seeing what it says.

Posted

Yup, around the 8:30pm and 9:00pm forecasts they did show more snow...... I'm sure some other mebers on here also posted about it.

Relying on the BBC much? laugh.giflaugh.gif

The comforting aspect is that at least mother nature is still in charge of our weather, and not computers or any type of forecastersmile.gif

Posted

Probably not access to some of the higher resolution stuff, but there's plenty of data available on NW and thru' the internet. This is what some of the more learned guys on here use to give us their informative posts. I do not pretend to understand a lot of the stuff available, but it is there for those who have the knowledge.

the BBC and met office did start to downplay today's event early yday eve. But then some contributors on NW were also bigging up today in terms of snow a few days ago, so all in all, most 'forecasters' got today 'wrong' in terms of heavier snow. It's damned difficult, in weather forecasting terms, being on an island, that's for sure.

My point is the Met Office have performed poorly in recent weeks relating to snow events, they have also performed poorly with their reaction to unfolding events and subsequent distribution of warnings.

I would agree that our island will create complications, but I am sure many will be concerned at how they have performed after the funding of recent years on new technology.

Debate for another day however.

Posted

Raining heavily in kings Lynn at the moment. Currently 2c. Pleased I got plenty of pictures yesterday including some of great chunks of ice floating along the great ouse. I will have to check the last time it partially froze at the lynn end. I'm guessing at least 25 years.

Posted

The comforting aspect is that at least mother nature is still in charge of our weather, and not computers or any type of forecastersmile.gif

Too right ! She likes to put us mere mortals in our place from time to time and weather is gloriously fickle and unpredictable. The met office forecasts of two 'barbeque summers' and a 'mild winter' prove that :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Hammer, I think you make a very valid point. For all the new technology at their disposal, I don't really see how their forecasting has improved in the last 30 years. Add that to the BBC "dumbing down" of the weather where pressure maps are rarely if ever shown now and their relationship to our weather rarely explained. it really is frustrating. I think my interest in weather wouldn't be half as much now if it were not for seeing all those old forecasts and learning what low and high pressure systems and their locations mean for our weather. i don't see how i would have learned half as much from looking at today's style of forecasting.

Edited by Timmytour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Well just watched bbc weather, this mild,ish interlude is going to be very short lived as the cold easterly really kicks back next thursday. Lot more snow forecast and cold temps.

Like the way they are saying that met office have severe warnings out from tuesday next week.whistling.gif

Still have a feeling that his cold front has a sting in it somewhere before that. cc_confused.gif

Anyone share the same opinion or ?????

Edited by silver line

Posted

In one post you've summed up the difficulties in predicting UK weather. Early in your post you slate the MetO and BBC and then your own forecast, you end with "confidence is not good beyond Wednesday" and "do not shoot the messenger". difficult isn't it?!whistling.gif

Thank you Bb. It will never be easy due to the generally maritime nature of British weather and forecasting snow, where a minute change in temperature can make all the difference, is twice as bad. Thats why its more fun. Pit your wits, some knowledge(often local) and quite often a hunch against the scientific, massively computerised 'proffesionals and sometimes you beat them.....sometimes you don't.

tara4now

Tringaling

Posted

Well just watched bbc weather, this mild,ish interlude is going to be very short lived as the cold easterly really kicks back next thursday. Lot more snow forecast and cold temps.

Like the way they are saying that met office have severe warnings out from tuesday next week.whistling.gif

Still have a feeling that his cold front has a sting in it somewhere before that. cc_confused.gif

well its unlikely to be lower uppers than today. i'd prefer a south easterly or if its gonna be an easterly, lets hope it doesnt have a northerly component. given so many being keen to write off the cold, i suppose we should be grateful that it carries on in some guise.

Posted

Been offline for a bit and now confuddled.... so can anyone clarify? Are we or are we not expecting snow overnight in the area?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I'm never, ever going to have a ( serious blum.gif ) go at learned people who give a forecast, based on their knowledge, chart analysis ( and time spent interpreting the same ) and even more up to date observations, if they get it wrong - I totally appreciate the work they do on an inexact science.

My problem with the Met Office is that they are reactive ( in my opinion ) as shown by the hopeless warnings for my region last week, when snow depth alerts were issued well after they had actually happened. They've also suffered from too much political interference recently, which isn't the fault of the scientists employed.

Definitely. I think the proper cold weather is not done with us yet.

Posted

Been offline most of the day because I would need some Prozac if I didnt!! Don't understand all the doom and gloom to be honest!

If this was a normal winter we would be jumping up and down with excitement with what we have now! I have seen falling snow every day for a week! So today was a bit of a let down but thats what interests me about weather, if we could accurately predict it then it would be dull.

We still have a chance of some snow tonight and tommorow and even on Tues. Weds / Thurs sees the front comming from the west and may stall over our area for a while giving further snow. Then into the weekend and next week we could see a re-load of cold as the scandi high builds again.

Can I suggest that we put today behind us and look forward rather than ranting and raving about wrong forecasts. The Meto and most on here including me where wrong but it was a "forecast" not a contract! We need to look forward to what is comming as its still only mid jan and most winters we would be talking about bartelt highs and flodding now and wondering if we will see a wintry shower in Feb!

I think the radar's are underplaying the intensity at the moment. Just been out and snowing moderately with temp down to 0.5 so sould have a fresh covering by moring if the showers keep coming and it gets below 0.

Edited by Tim Bland

Posted

as someone Else said watched country file talking about siting on the fence i don't think he knew himself all we know at the end of the week the very cold air could be back plus if you look deep in F1 there could easily be another huge high blocking all the mild weather with the UK in the cols Russian air/weather

Posted

as someone Else said watched country file talking about siting on the fence i don't think he knew himself all we know at the end of the week the very cold air could be back plus if you look deep in F1 there could easily be another huge high blocking all the mild weather with the UK in the cols Russian air/weather

Sorry to sound a bit thick, but what does F1 mean? I can work out most of the abbreviations, but can only think of Grand Prix when I see this.acute.gif

Posted

hows it going people ,weather for the now is wet and windy ,well breezy ,snow is going so thats good because i cant stand slush and i had no attempt at eating snow ,bring on the summer i say and welcome in the storms !

Current data for Linslade

10 January 2010 19:39:50

Temperature (°C):

Current 1.0

Trend (per hour) 0

Average today 1.2

Wind chill 1.0

Humidex -1.3

Dew Point -0.8

Rel Humidity 88%

Wind (mph):

Current Gust 6.9 SE

Average Speed 3.1 SE

Rainfall (mm):

Current rate 0.0

Last hour 0.0

Total today 0.3

Total yesterday 0.9

Total this month 5.7

Total this year 5.7

Pressure (mb):

Current 1017.9

Trend (per hour) 0.0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

FI = Fantasy Island... that's what could happen but realistically so much could change before it evolves like that

Posted

Sorry to sound a bit thick, but what does F1 mean? I can work out most of the abbreviations, but can only think of Grand Prix when I see this.acute.gif

Correct about F1...

FI means Fantasy Island......Charts referring to just that.....

Posted

FI = Fantasy Island... that's what could happen but realistically so much could change before it evolves like that

Thanks. Agreed!dirol.gif

Posted

fantasy land 2 weeks away !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Being a lover of winter climbing then the thaw freeze recycle is my favourite

I shall be grateful if any of the Northampton posters will advise of the number of days there has been snow falling this winter. Thank you.

Posted

fantasy land 2 weeks away !!!

Agreed. Should be on my way to Mauritius then.

Seriously, the best thing about this cold spell is seeing youngsters enjoy the snow as much as I did when a kid.