Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Just looked out of my window and it is the most incredible view. My road is usually gritted and thus pretty clear. However, tonight it literally looks like someone has glazed the road in icing. It must be the mixture of really very fine snow and drizzle that is falling. It looks almost like an ice rink with the smoothness of ice, but with a distinct white colour. Strange.

Odd! Me too. Still coming down, small flakes but covering well.

I live in a Close, so it is an Ice Rink. lol

Have missed weather view due to kids on Playstation. Any news????

Edited by cj114

Posted

Woodford Green, not far from me.

By the looks of it the council have given up gritting our road the last few days. We have a hospital up our street so they normally do, but have seen nothing the last few days. Plus I doubt this light snow would be able to settle had they done so tonight.

Posted

Down to 2.4ºc and all precip has stopped, given about 7mm on top of what was already there, melting snow/slush etc.

Just checked, still going v lightly

Posted

Woodford Green, not far from me.

By the looks of it the council have given up gritting our road the last few days. We have a hospital up our street so they normally do, but have seen nothing the last few days. Plus I doubt this light snow would be able to settle had they done so tonight.

Holly House? Epping Forest rarely grit, I lived in Woodcote Park for ten years and I sat on the Epping New road one morning and there was no grit but loads of Black ice, but EF told me there is no law that they have to grit. Apparently it's cheaper if you sue after an accident!!

I am just inside Redbridge, so we get grit here until the sign near Holly House. Mad, quite Mad.

Posted

Snowing quite heavily now, settling readily on cleared surfaces despite the thermo reading 0.5c. Still hearing the constant drip drip of snow melting on the roofs though. Still all in all a pleasant suprise.

Posted

Holly House? Epping Forest rarely grit, I lived in Woodcote Park for ten years and I sat on the Epping New road one morning and there was no grit but loads of Black ice, but EF told me there is no law that they have to grit. Apparently it's cheaper if you sue after an accident!!

I am just inside Redbridge, so we get grit here until the sign near Holly House. Mad, quite Mad.

The one up Roebuck lane if you know it. Its a private hospital for the elderly but they require ambulance access at all times. Woodcoat Park ay? My parents live in The Fountains, the large white house - Its been crazy over there during the cold snap, the residents are now campaigning for gritting bins its been so bad. I must admit though, bar the last week EF have done a pretty good job of my road, last week I saw them do 5 gritting runs down it in one day which was a bit excessive.

Posted

No dripping here. I think it's because I am so high here.

Typical, I wanted it all to thaw as I have so much to do, then it goes and Snows some more!

Someone really hates me. :crazy:

The one up Roebuck lane if you know it. Its a private hospital for the elderly but they require ambulance access at all times. Woodcoat Park ay? My parents live in The Fountains, the large white house - Its been crazy over there during the cold snap, the residents are now campaigning for gritting bins its been so bad. I must admit though, bar the last week EF have done a pretty good job of my road, last week I saw them do 5 gritting runs down it in one day which was a bit excessive.

ROFL, We used to watch in Woodcote as the people who did not know how icy it was near the big pond would lose their cars on the ice. The poor Lady across the road from us used to have many a Car in her front Garden. Also the street lamp got hit many times!

They still haven't got the council to agree that it's a private estate as far as I know.

It was a great place to bring up kids, they spent many a summer roving from House to House clearing out Fridges! The House was too big and since Husband ran off with internet Bride I moved back to where we used to live in Woodford. The neighbours are still the same ones which is great.

We still have ice problems here, but so far not as bad as Woodcote Park.

No dripping here. I think it's because I am so high here.

Typical, I wanted it all to thaw as I have so much to do, then it goes and Snows some more!

Someone really hates me. :lol:

ROFL, We used to watch in Woodcote as the people who did not know how icy it was near the big pond would lose their cars on the ice. The poor Lady across the road from us used to have many a Car in her front Garden. Also the street lamp got hit many times!

They still haven't got the council to agree that it's a private estate as far as I know.

It was a great place to bring up kids, they spent many a summer roving from House to House clearing out Fridges! The House was too big and since Husband ran off with internet Bride I moved back to where we used to live in Woodford. The neighbours are still the same ones which is great.

We still have ice problems here, but so far not as bad as Woodcote Park.

Yes I know where you mean, I have a friend who lives in the High Road near there. Well two really, one lives right by Palmerston Rd.

Posted

Martine, tall guy, drives a dark blue Bentley Continental? If so, right next to him, backing onto the fields. Im unsure over the private estate thing, was it not the case they had 1 objection, but then they moved? I know at one point there was talk of removing the gates and security presence.

Posted

Martine, tall guy, drives a dark blue Bentley Continental? If so, right next to him, backing onto the fields. Im unsure over the private estate thing, was it not the case they had 1 objection, but then they moved? I know at one point there was talk of removing the gates and security presence.

Nope, drives a SUV.

When I left Fallow fields, [we had the House overlooking the main pond] Steve, the guy at the end of Fallow Fields was trying to get the estate private still. They still have the gates etc. My Father who was the Solicitor for a lot of people at the time, maintained "Bulls and gates" ie people would think it was private anyway. I do remember 1 person who objectd to having the roads private, can't remember who it was though. Had a big meeting in Roding Lane School about it all.

Hopefully Snow over now, must hit sack as I have busy day tomorrow. However, getting out of Close has been a pain since this all started. lol

p.s I do remember the one objection, yes he did move but according to friend who lives there still, nothing much has happened. Epping forest conservators are the problem now. Ho Hum.

bed now, do watch the snow for me. lol

Edited by cj114

Posted

Believe it or not a gritter just went down my road, yet spread no grit!?

Might have been empty and returning to the depot to get some more maybe ?

Posted

Well well work up to another dusting this morning... still a lot of snow (c. 5 inches or so generally) but roofs and cars that had had the snow melted are now white again - not much depth of snow on them...

Posted

Just looked at the 00z GFS. Still plenty of interest in there for me around the 18-20th period, which is still showing the potential for a massive scandi high, and has been doing so for around this period for a while now. One to watch, as is that enormously deep cold pool of air on the continent right at the end of the run in la-la land.

Posted

Also regarding the 0z, parts of the South could do quite well with tuesday/wednesday, so long as we can remain all snow...

Indeed it does look promising, however will be marginal. hopefully we can have one more set of snow before the warm air wins out (for now)

post-10842-12632011031342_thumb.gif

think this forum might get busier on tuesday/wednesday depending how far east this low goes.

Posted

Indeed it does look promising, however will be marginal. hopefully we can have one more set of snow before the warm air wins out (for now)

post-10842-12632011031342_thumb.gif

think this forum might get busier on tuesday/wednesday depending how far east this low goes.

What's that website?

Yes, does look very marginal, although based purely on 00z Reading (my location) would just about stay all snow (and between 8-12 cm of it...)

This is as close as it gets... perhaps a tiny bit sleety but should really be alright...

24322341_profile.gif

Posted

Morning y'all. So how did the London click get on last night? Any decent accumulations? Was weird watching a reverse streamer last night. Hope you guys got at least a covering. Here in Sarfend, it's 0.1c, dp -0.7. So a lot colder and the air is much drier, slowing down the rapid thaw we had yesterday. Lost about 10cm of cover yesterday, leaving us with about 5cm of slush now. Can't complain though. We have had two dumps of around 15cm in the space of 3 weeks. Unheard of in recent times, at the mouth of the Estuary. So a bloody good start to winter in this neck of the woods. Hopefully this progged "milder" spell later in the week is only a temporary blip, before a renewed blast of cold from the NE courtesy of a gigantic Scandi HP. Anyway, not expecting Weds event to be up to much here, maybe a tad too far East, leaving me in the rain/sleet zone. Let's see how the models handle the track of the LP this morning and afternoon...

Posted

NAE

After the showers in the east over the last few days, it will be good to get some decent ppcn over the westen side of our region. might even ge some snow at times on the coast.

The further west you are the better, however if this low moves further east then expected then lots in our region could see some. met office going for snow on its leading front which is good news for us.