Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Morning y'all. So how did the London click get on last night? Any decent accumulations?

I live in SE London/NW Kent borders and we had a cm. Coming to work in SW London, half that, maybe even a tad less.

Guest archiesmummy

morning

well thawing quite fast here, current temp is 1.6, dew point is above freezing for first time in ages, dont expect wed to produce much here but some sites still saying the cold weather will return.......lets see!

Posted

Didn't look like any snow stuck over towards Ealing, West London last night. One thing I'll be pleased about with the thaw is the pavements should be less dangerous. That's the real issue when you are in an area that is heavily populated and doesn't get much settling snow depth. Anything that does settle gets compacted and turns to ice. The pavements outside here have been pure ice and it's not exactly and area where you can walk on the roads safely. Even this morning I was having to walk very slowly.

It's such a contrast from having been in Surrey this past week (yes near the snow bound Croydon!) At least there the pavements have enough snow on to walk safely and the danger spots are, ironically, where people have cleared the snow!

I still hope for more snow this winter. I'm desperate to see a foot of settled snow outside! I was in St Albans for the Feb event where our totals were much the same as this spell.

How's this week looking for top ups?

Posted

Didn't look like any snow stuck over towards Ealing, West London last night. One thing I'll be pleased about with the thaw is the pavements should be less dangerous. That's the real issue when you are in an area that is heavily populated and doesn't get much settling snow depth. Anything that does settle gets compacted and turns to ice. The pavements outside here have been pure ice and it's not exactly and area where you can walk on the roads safely. Even this morning I was having to walk very slowly.

It's such a contrast from having been in Surrey this past week (yes near the snow bound Croydon!) At least there the pavements have enough snow on to walk safely and the danger spots are, ironically, where people have cleared the snow!

I still hope for more snow this winter. I'm desperate to see a foot of settled snow outside! I was in St Albans for the Feb event where our totals were much the same as this spell.

How's this week looking for top ups?

Not good i'm afraid. Maybe some front edge stuff on Weds from the approaching LP in the SW. That will turn to rain eventually though. After that, looking like some spells of rain and at at times breezy conditions. Temps around or just below average, so nothing too mild. Atlantic wins by the weekend and back to average for a while. Hope it's just a brief milder interlude. There are signs that it could be just that.

Posted

Overnight snow sticking around today as air is drier, lighter winds and dew points a little lower. Not going to be a lot of melting in N and Mid Kent this afternoon before temps drop back again.

I for one am interested in Tues/Wednesdays weather. Doesn't seem to be a lot being made of this but with low surface temps, 850's below freezing and low dew points coming from an icy continent, I think the SE looks to be well placed for snow should precipitation make its way here.

Looking at the models it looks like it will make it here and our proximity to the near continent will really help us out away from the immediate S Coast.

One to keep an eye out for. Watch the advisories spread further east over the next 24 hours.

James

Posted

Overnight snow sticking around today as air is drier, lighter winds and dew points a little lower. Not going to be a lot of melting in N and Mid Kent this afternoon before temps drop back again.

I for one am interested in Tues/Wednesdays weather. Doesn't seem to be a lot being made of this but with low surface temps, 850's below freezing and low dew points coming from an icy continent, I think the SE looks to be well placed for snow should precipitation make its way here.

Looking at the models it looks like it will make it here and our proximity to the near continent will really help us out away from the immediate S Coast.

One to keep an eye out for. Watch the advisories spread further east over the next 24 hours.

James

Yeah. Would be nice to get one last dumping before the milder air wins out.

Some are saying the ppn will die out as it crosses our region, which would put us at risk of a "wintry mix" rather than snow itself.

As you say though, the ingredients are there, we just need to have the heavier ppn make it over our way. If it does, then a spell of snow for a while could be a possibility on the front edge. Maybe rain/sleet on back edge?

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Snowing in ramsgate....mind you I can count the flakes so I wont get too excitied

ithas now stopped snowing...no wait....as I type this I have just seen one flake go past the window (I dont think drifting will be a problem :D )

Posted

Yeah. Would be nice to get one last dumping before the milder air wins out.

Some are saying the ppn will die out as it crosses our region, which would put us at risk of a "wintry mix" rather than snow itself.

As you say though, the ingredients are there, we just need to have the heavier ppn make it over our way. If it does, then a spell of snow for a while could be a possibility on the front edge. Maybe rain/sleet on back edge?

That is the only problem I potentially see; whether in fact it dies before getting here. I dont think rain will be an issue for this part of the world. The S Coast would however see rain/sleet I fear, from the SE wind off the sea modifying the dew points somewhat.

Elevation will also excentuate precipitation especially slopes facing the SE winds (so whole of N Downs)

Like I said it's one to watch. I'm not getting excited about it but one last 'sprinkle' would be nice. For the SE I think the next 5-7 days are going to be cold and dismal with temps over the snow fields no higher than 1-3c and endless days and nights of gloom.

Beyond that I think anything is possible but fear the SH will be too far east to have any major effect on our weather as far as cold and snow goes.

I think the rest of Jan will be fairly average after this following week and our best chances of a renewed cold outbreak will be in Feb/March as has often been the case over the last 5 years.

There is however, a small chance that things could change at fairly short notice with renewed WAA to our west and rising heights to our NE. I think its a given that the SH will be lurking for the next 2 weeks at least and all the time it is there it wouldn't take a lot in upstream patterns to bring CAA south and east across the UK.

I think a few days away from the models would be a good idea for everyone (after tues/weds). Come back after next weekend and I think that a definitive pattern will be becoming apparant.

James

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

I'm not interested in prospects for mid week. The trend is for a potential messy snow to rain situation which is hard to get excited about.

If we have to see less cold weather, then I would much prefer a dry transition personally. However the eastward extent of the ppn is very uncertain and will get eroded by the drier air - so the hope is that with luck the whole lot will die away before it can arrive this far east anyway.

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

I'm not interested in prospects for mid week. The trend is for a potential messy snow to rain situation which is hard to get excited about.

If we have to see less cold weather, then I would much prefer a dry transition personally. However the eastward extent of the ppn is very uncertain and will get eroded by the drier air - so the hope is that with luck the whole lot will die away before it can arrive this far east anyway.

I'm officially fed up with the cold spell now and looking forward to milder temps , at least for a while. A week of snow at a time, particularly whne its dull, cold, damp and generally grim like it is now, is quite enough.

Let's clear it away, warm up , and start again!

Edited by jimmyay

Posted

Anyone noticed the PPN developing it the last half an hour in the estuary? Could this be anything not forecast?

Been lightly snowing in Sandwich fir the last hour or so.

I'm officially fed up with the cold spell now and looking forward to milder temps , at least for a while. A week of snow at a time, particularly whne its dull, cold, damp and generally grim like it is now, is quite enough.

As much as I adore snow etc, in the interests of allowing the country to recover, then a break will be a good thing. Especially in view of the fact that we are only just at the mid winter point. If we can get some high pressure in charge (which seems possible) rather than wet atlantic drossy weather - then the weather will still feel very seasonal anyway with temps possibly still just below average.

Meanwhile watching signals for an interesting possible reload for end Jan, early Feb should be enjoyable as things in the outside world return to normal - and the wildlife gets a break too.

Posted

Anyone noticed the PPN developing it the last half an hour in the estuary? Could this be anything not forecast?

Been lightly snowing in Sandwich fir the last hour or so.

Yeah, just noticed that. Quite a big "blob" too. Looking fairly hefty as well.

Interesting to see which way it is headed. Towards me I hope! :drinks:

Looks like it's heading NW towards clacton though. Perhaps some sort of streamer developing in the SE breeze?

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Really hot or really cold

Started to sleet in Braintree now turned to light snow seems colder than first thing but car says 1c

so I think it's just me feeling colder

Posted

Well thought this cold spell was over last night...switched off and woke up to find anew covering of snow

in East London....Amazing!

Temp currently only 1

Dewpoint -1

Feels colder than yesterday here.

Posted

Nick F's latest NW alert/advisory puts me right on the edge of Tuesday into Wednesday's possibilities:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=forecast;type=alert;reg=7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

it might be getting warmer but its getting wetter, the weather over the next week is going to be Far from warm and pleasant.

Posted

is this atlantic front from the SW anything that could affect essex? more to the west-south west of essex?

I don't think so:

During Tuesday afternoon, an Atlantic frontal system will move slowly northeast bringing heavy snow inland across SW England and southern half of Wales then spreading further NE across the rest of Wales, N. Ireland and perhaps across the parts of Midlands and south central England overnight into Wednesday morning before slowly dying out in the afternoon/evening,, up to 5-15cm of fresh snowfall can be expected widely, over higher ground of SW England and Wales further fresh snowfall accumulations of 15-25cm are possible. The northern and eastern extent of the heaviest snow during Wednesday is still a little uncertain, but at the moment south and west of a line roughly from Liverpool to Eastbourne are likely to see heaviest of snow. Outside of this area maybe a couple of cm of fresh snow can be expected during Wednesday as the front arrives but slows and decays across central areas. Away from these areas, further snowfall is possible across the Highlands of Scotland and over the mountains of N England and N. Ireland bringing further accumulations.

Away from the south coast there is a chance of more snow in the western most parts of this region. 5cms or so inland, on current estimations seems most likely

Brighton and Hove for eg is missing on the METO warning list which does indicate that rain and sleet are more likely close to the south east coast, say 5 to 10 miles or so, after perhaps some initial snow.

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

So does anyone think we might just get something in Croydon Surrey. Seem to be right on the edge. Would be nice to go out of this cold snap with a bang ruther than a cold thaw