Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

LOL maybe game over in your head but the weather will have other idea's thankfully tease.gif

Just to show to those who say the cold never ends up in the reliable timeframe well those charts below should be a reliable timeframe enough for you and that is cold no matter what you say smile.gif

http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rtavn062.png

http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn1210.png

http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn1217.png

http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rtavn123.png

Fair enough but do we hold on to it in time for any decent amounts of precipitation? Slight precipitation is a big no-no for snow, of course. That's the question for many now. I was never under any illusion that a 'even larger teapot' couldn't produce proper long lasting cold. That has been categorically shown to be beyond question. Just how much more can we have though?! ...(please?)

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

Frequent snow showers here now, becoming heaver with each one passing by.

Current temperature –0.1c with a light snow cover.

post-1046-12658172704617_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Getting a good covering — graupel, sleet and now snow proper.

My friend in Girton will be well impressed — I told her two weeks ago (23rd January) that it would snow on the 10th :yahoo::help:

Edited by Iceni

Posted

Just been driving from Faversham to Dover, nothing to speak of north of Canterbury and then a whiteout. Lucky I got home when I did, just seen on the traffic report two accidents on separate roads into Dover

Posted

Please don't make us suffer another Easterly, they bring nothing but slate gray skies unless the Upper Air is below -8/-9 which wouldn't happen if one did come off from next weeks low, the South East is getting blasted by heavy snow showers at the moment anyway so why could they possible need another easterly.

Bring on the North Westlerlies and throw in some troughs aswell.

Edited by conor123

Posted

Had 2 snow showers this morning, and one quite heavy soft hail shower later and the NE-ly wind got strong in that even drifted the stuff off the roof as it`s sheltered here,

a slight dusting and a much colder feel at -0.3c and cloudy currently.

Wind started off north first thing.

Down to -1.1c last night.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Please don't make us suffer another Easterly, they bring nothing but slate gray skies unless the Upper Air is below -8/-9 which wouldn't happen if one did come off from next weeks low, the South East is getting blasted by heavy snow showers at the moment anyway so why could they possible need another easterly.

Bring on the North Westlerlies and throw in some troughs aswell.

North Westerlies mean mud and more mud for us… this is my favourite — a NNE'ly bringing sunshine and snow showers and frosts at night. Just right.

Posted

North Westerlies mean mud and more mud for us… this is my favourite — a NNE'ly bringing sunshine and snow showers and frosts at night. Just right.

The South East have had more than another Easterlies to bring crates of snow not just this winter but the beasterly this time last year so it's about time the tables turned 8)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Only parts of the South East- I don't think it's quite as widespread as what the models showed about five days ago. Still, I share your sentiments about easterlies for the most part- unless they are associated with cold upper air they are usually dull and dark with not much going on, as was demonstrated repeatedly in the spell starting on the 10th January.

Interestingly many of the most widespread snow events of this winter have featured winds from the north-east or east, but with the exception of 17/18 December the cold air has usually been sourced from the north. The current cold snap, for example, is featuring cold air coming down and across from N Scandinavia.

From a selfish perspective I would like to see the -ve NAO set up a bit further east than many of the models are suggesting - GFS 12Z is getting along the right lines- so we can see a combination of NW/N/NE winds and an emphasis on sunshine and snow showers almost nationwide. If low pressure is close by we may even get some homegrown showers in areas that usually stay dry in midwinter because of the wishbone effect- the sun is getting stronger by now.

Posted

I certainly won`t complain about this windflow 3 days so far and a dusting and falling snow each day light mainly but a N/NE-ly and HP close by thats better than I expected,cloud has cleared last 2 days too.

7th wednesday this winter with falling and lying snow,next week looks possible aswell.

Here's bablake's in coventry forecast for next week, to be honest i don't agree at all with there only being a dusting of snow in our region(warwickshire) in January i was in countryside areas and it was way more than just a dusting with drifts of snow and that was in low areas high areas got lots more, another IMBY'er using his own back yard in a warm city to judge the region as a whole. wallbash.gif

The local forecast up until 1800hr on Thursday 11th February 2010 Although this may well become the coldest winter in our region since 1981-82, we have escaped with just a little snow so far with just a light dusting every now and then.

This could well all change next week however, with the cold set to intensify, and there could be some significant fall of snow locally for the first time this winter.

Edited by Eugene

Posted

The South East have had more than another Easterlies to bring crates of snow not just this winter but the beasterly this time last year so it's about time the tables turned :clap:

"Miss! It's not fair Miss… etc." :yahoo:

PS. I'm not in the SE I'm in East Anglia.

Posted

Thunder snow in Sevenoaks, Kent at 5pm!

It suddenly went dark as night and blizzard conditions for about 15 minutes.

Visability less than 100 metres.

In that time, just over an inch piled-up on the ground even on the main roads for a time.

Temperature dropped from +2c to -1c within minutes.

Amazing!!

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted

The current synoptics are the best for delivering very dry conditions for Cumbria and NW/W/SW Scotland which are normally the wettest parts of the country. In this respect an easterly is very good news for these parts as it allows the ground to dry out a bit, its uncanny how after the wettest November on record we have seen a very very dry winter - it was just what was needed, apart from the first 10 days of December, we have hardly had any days with even moderate amounts of rainfall.

The downside of an easterly for this region is lack of snow, its very frustrating seeing the showers running down the east of the Pennines and when they try to get through the Pennines they just fizzle out - the Pennines reach nearly 3000ft immediately to our east which is a very big barrier, nowhere else in England is there such a barrier, the reverse is true for NE England who generally does very well on the dry stakes out of a showery westerly or north westerly, the Pennines act as a major block.

Can't complain though we are having a lovely sunny spell of weather with frosty nights and dry days, better conditions than we often get in the depths of summer (albeit substantially colder).

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Here's bablake's in coventry forecast for next week, to be honest i don't agree at all with there only being a dusting of snow in our region(warwickshire) in January i was in countryside areas and it was way more than just a dusting with drifts of snow and that was in low areas high areas got lots more, another IMBY'er using his own back yard in a warm city to judge the region as a whole. wallbash.gif

No, the man who runs Bablake school weather station lives outside of Warwick in the countryside, not in a warm city.

There was 2 inches snow in Coventry last month, less in some parts of Warwickshire though.:yahoo:

Regarding their forecasts, I get the feeling they use GFS from the day before- was that more optimistic yesterday?

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

The latest weather forecast for the Europe including a UK overview is coming up on CNN International in the next 5-10 minutes. Freeview channel 84, Sky 506, Virgin 607. Always plenty of detail about weather patterns etc around the globe and snowfall etc, worth checking out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Several snow showers today in the Eastern IoW at work and several here in the West Wight too I am told, some settled briefly on the gravel as-dug hard standing and on felled tree trunks at work.

Staff reported a 15 minute shower with settling some when in the middle of the day at a part of Shanklin.

Drizzle yesterday overnight frost, pored hot water all over the car this morning 2mm thick ice.

Nice to see the sun too mind.

Russ

Posted

The latest weather forecast for the Europe including a UK overview is coming up on CNN International in the next 5-10 minutes. Freeview channel 84, Sky 506, Virgin 607. Always plenty of detail about weather patterns etc around the globe and snowfall etc, worth checking out.

OK so they only talked about the U.S. snowstorms tonight! LOL. Far more newsworthy I suppose than what is happening over here.

Posted

OK so they only talked about the U.S. snowstorms tonight! LOL. Far more newsworthy I suppose than what is happening over here.

USA likes to live in it's own Bubble/Island. Ever seen the Simpsons Movie? Nothing ever happens that's newsworthy outside that land ;-)

Posted

Thunder, lightning and lots of snow in Dover this morning, was supposed to be going into Folkestone to work for 9am, but have decided not to even think about it. The M20 and the A2 are down to one lane and it's still snowing. All the schools are closed, and just read that there is a power cut in Deal as well! Seems to be very localised though, just this little corner of East Kent!