Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

I saw a few flakes on the commute home last night, but I have the feeling we are slowly edging towards spring and warmer temps, I thought this week was going to be wintery it's looking rather average to be honest.

Posted

I saw a few flakes on the commute home last night, but I have the feeling we are slowly edging towards spring and warmer temps, I thought this week was going to be wintery it's looking rather average to be honest.

Agreed. Boring cold weather with no snow action - bring on a warm spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Well it is still Winter so I for one am happy for it to be cold as it should be in WINTER. Like most I am looking forward to Spring & Summer & hoping its going to be warm with storms.

But for the meantime it is Feb its cold & while its cold there is always a chance for snow. Plus for me it is very important we keep those monthly CET values down below average so as to put the global warming bandwagon on hold for a while if not totally put the theory to bed.

Edited by SteveB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Average at this time of year is 9-10C in Plymouth, lower on Dartmoor, but the last two days max was 1.7C. Not at all average, and I'd say rather below.

Snow last night didn't come to anything, but there was a hard frost. Overcast now and -1.4C

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted

0.6C here with a DP of -2.9C and its snowing lightly again.

Not a bad start to it if you ask me, bitter in the wind (again). Gonna be fun at tennis later unsure.gif

Posted

I'm not speaking about anyone in particular, but have just gained an impression from reading various threads in the last 4 or 5 days.

Does anyone else think that this week's spell of weather would, in many recent winters, have had a delighted response from cold/snow lovers? But instead, because it's happening after an amazing winter so far, expectations are higher so disappointment greater?

This is the second day with wintry flurries on a bitter E/NE wind, whatever's wrong with that!?!

It seems that many people just want snow without realising it must be cold first. I think the showery wet snow here yesterday with a temperature of 3.1c was darned lucky!!

Much brighter in West Wiltshire today with a few flurries of snow/graupel since around 08.00 and more to come looking at the NW Radar. With a temperature of 3.7c, bitter E/NE wind, sunny spells, moody TCu and flurries this is a pretty good winter day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Im sure in many recent winters this weeks cold spell would have been greatly received but as you say given the spell in early Jan the bar of expectations has risen some what for a lot of people. I also think though for some that because they have had a lot of cold this winter they are more concerned with seeing more snow than actual cold even if it means very marginal conditions.

So far we have had a couple of wintry showers and the temperature is 4.1C with a dp of 0C.

Posted

I've deliberately tried to not to post too much on this thread as I don't want to raise expectations.

We've not really been forecasted any severe weather yet (at least in the reliable timeframe) and rightly so as it hasn't materialised.

This *might* change as we move into the later part of the week and next week, but as yet, what we have in the SW is spot on to what's been forecasted, a few light snow showers, not enough for them to settle, temps a few degree's below average and a very cold easterly wind.

Your right Andy in many years gone by we would be happy with this and I think/hope that most are.

Can I just say that the lack of the day after tomorrow posts has been good on this thread I think it's probably the most realistic regional thread on NETW and isn't too optimistic and isn't too pessimistic(except on occasions).

Posted

Good posts above, and yup, I think we have been over indulged this year in terms of snow, I mean I've had snow falling on far more days this year than last year and definately the 2 years before that. I don't think I've had a week since mid December where snow hasn't fallen at least once. (Its still snowing now, but again, very light)

I thought last Feb was a one off, but this year has trumped it. Interesting times.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

smile.gif

I've deliberately tried to not to post too much on this thread as I don't want to raise expectations.

We've not really been forecasted any severe weather yet (at least in the reliable timeframe) and rightly so as it hasn't materialised.

This *might* change as we move into the later part of the week and next week, but as yet, what we have in the SW is spot on to what's been forecasted, a few light snow showers, not enough for them to settle, temps a few degree's below average and a very cold easterly wind.

Your right Andy in many years gone by we would be happy with this and I think/hope that most are.

Can I just say that the lack of the day after tomorrow posts has been good on this thread I think it's probably the most realistic regional thread on NETW and isn't too optimistic and isn't too pessimistic(except on occasions).

As an outsider, so to speak, can I just say that I agree with this. The south west thread is a very balanced thread and a very friendly and chatty thread too.

Although us SE'erners do ok too of course!biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

I think in many ways it was my comment earlier regards this week that prompted those posts above, you guys are completely correct in that peoples expectations have risen my own included.

I think what I was getting at and not doing a good job of explaining it, was that this week was supposed to be amazing if you read the models thread so I suppose I had got my hopes up and raised my expectations only to find something more mundane, I think i need to stop getting drawn in.

I suppose I am looking for one last hurrah from this excellent winter. :)

I thought last Feb was a one off, but this year has trumped it. Interesting times.

I couldn't agree more Matt, this year has been excellent.

Posted

I suppose I am looking for one last hurrah from this excellent winter. <_<

Same here. February is usually our snowiest month, or so I find. It would be sad if this wonderful Winter went out with a damp squib instead of a big bang!

I was looking at my photos from last February and this December and January yesterday. Oh, they were beautiful and brought back so many happy memories. :cray::D

Hi, Tamara!

Edited by noggin

Posted

I think in many ways it was my comment earlier regards this week that prompted those posts above, you guys are completely correct in that peoples expectations have risen my own included.

It wasn't your post which prompted my discussion point Tribe, rather that I had the time to do so today unlike than yesterday!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A real sunshine and showers day today but the showers have not been of rain or of snow but of hail and sometime quite potent and blustery - all in all quite interesting but obviously not quite a cold enough source for snow at the moment.

I'm not optimistic about the rest of this week though I'm half confident of a snow event next week around midweek. Where I first considered it in FI, it has now been there for quite a few runs and is appearing on the NW 10 Day Forecast. Perhaps another bite of something perfectly timed for the half term week??

Posted

Evening all...

Had some fairly heavy snow flurries in Bath earlier...

Wind has a bit of a bite to it tonight, as others have said...

I'm now the proud owner of a wireless weather station (birthday present from the missus)!

Spent most of Saturday putting it together and mounting it on a pole!...

Now trying to write my own .NET application to get a live data feed off it... But paying more attention to Mock the Week at the moment!...

Apparently it's 1.2°c here (dew point -2.2°c)... Time to bring on the snow!

Don't know what WX you've got, but Weather Display (www.weather-display.com) seems to talk to most. OK it's payware (about 30 quid) but works really well.

Cheers, 7&Y

Posted

Still along way off and I am sure people might disagree with me, but the charts are showing something special for next week for us tonight. I won't say how special, but IMO with even the 240 chart being in sub 528 thicknesses it is pretty special indeed it starts in the 168 timeframe so is still boardline FI. We might get a fair few posts about this in 3-4 days time once it comes into the ultra reliable phase.

Posted

Still along way off and I am sure people might disagree with me, but the charts are showing something special for next week for us tonight. I won't say how special, but IMO with even the 240 chart being in sub 528 thicknesses it is pretty special indeed it starts in the 168 timeframe so is still boardline FI. We might get a fair few posts about this in 3-4 days time once it comes into the ultra reliable phase.

The thing is Iceberg is that the charts last Wednesday were showing better synoptics for us for about midweek this week, including some snowy scenarios and then by Friday/Saturday last week it was becoming clear that this week would be cold, but not severly cold, and little snow.

So for now i look at charts for 7 days time as outside the 'reliable'. I look for trends and i shall follow the models over the next 48 hours to see if a trend develops.

Not being overly pessimistic, just cautious at this stage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

evening everyone. I had a nice trip to holland and got rather sloshed on company drinks.gif

Was bitter cold over there with -4c by day and clearish skys. Just been told we have seen some snow here although only a tiny bit remains on grass outside from what i can see.

I shall run along to the model thread now to see if we have any thing for the near future. wacko.gif

Posted

I think are best chance of seeing any snow would probs be from frontal snow i hope this is possible in the future.

Posted

Good evening all from the place where it never snows. Poole lol.I would love to see the ECM verify and dump huge amounts over the west country and south coast of course. Reason being apart from the fact that we always miss out but its now become more personal because a certain arrogant member on another thread gave a guesstimate of the snow fall for next week stating that those on the south coast and south west would probably only get rain or sleet at best because thats normal, then had the arrogance when one of our fellow southerners disagreed had the arrogance to say that if he didnt like the weather here then move. Cmon ECM prove him wrong lol.

Posted

Who was that then? 'because I've had plenty of snow this winter, and last. aggressive.gif

Snow and clouds cleared today just afer dark when its cleared and now its -3.4C ... made for some pretty chilly tennis.

Posted

Evening Matt see you by your posts you have had a few snow showers again biggrin.gif did anything settle ??

Playing tennis in -3.4 cold.gif Not for me lol.

Posted

Nah, was only light and blowing around alot. Still, can't complain :p