Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Hi Matt,

What is the boundry line for next week with regards to the snow, as you said you are not due any down there, what is Bristol's chance?whistling.gif

It's a bit early to say, the general trend is for everything to shift too far West (how ironic is that) with the real cold air going down to the Atlantic and over Ireland, so generally further West and North will be the best bet. However, we have seen in the past a last minute shift to the East (with the usual outcome Holland getting the cold) so if we see the same this time around it might be more of a direct hit.

That said, I've not see any models today as I'm at work.

Oh, and a few flakes of snow now. Well, thats 3 days this week with at least some snow.

Max today of 1.8C, currently 1.2C and a DP of -5.1C, nearer -4C in the wind.

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None - UK weather is always exciting at some point

Thanks for that Mat,

Would'nt it be great if we had a direct hit, that wouldl make a change from the North and the East getting the big stuff. yahoo.gif I would say that that would have a given us a great end to this winter, but over the past 9 nine years that I remember we have had snow around the begining of March, that is since I had my daughter she has seen snow every year but one around her birthday the 5th of March. So we are not out of the woods as yet as they say. I must admit I bet it is wonderfull seeing the moors covered in snow. Love that part of the country, thinking of moving down that way in a couple of years. Move out of the smoke to a quieter pace of life as they say.drinks.gif

Posted

Thanks for that Mat,

Would'nt it be great if we had a direct hit, that wouldl make a change from the North and the East getting the big stuff. yahoo.gif I would say that that would have a given us a great end to this winter, but over the past 9 nine years that I remember we have had snow around the begining of March, that is since I had my daughter she has seen snow every year but one around her birthday the 5th of March. So we are not out of the woods as yet as they say. I must admit I bet it is wonderfull seeing the moors covered in snow. Love that part of the country, thinking of moving down that way in a couple of years. Move out of the smoke to a quieter pace of life as they say.drinks.gif

Certainly is great, but gets a bit boring when you have to walk the mile to the actual village 'because you can't get the car down the lane! Haha. (if it snows too much they don't send the plough up that eary either... 2-3 days later usually... no doubt health and safety :D)

The 12z GFS has shifted things East again so we shall see what the UKMO and ECM does. I suspect it would be game on Monday night onwards if things went as shown now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None - UK weather is always exciting at some point

Wowyahoo.gif lets keep everything crossed then. Will look out for your posts. Oh yep I must say that a quick trip to the supermarket will be out when you live in the country. Which area are you in exactly? Have a good evening!

Posted

Wowyahoo.gif lets keep everything crossed then. Will look out for your posts. Oh yep I must say that a quick trip to the supermarket will be out when you live in the country. Which area are you in exactly? Have a good evening!

East Dartmoor, and the quickness of the trip depends on the time of the year and how many tourists who can't drive there are. :drunk: In the winter ya can't get off the moor because of the snow and ice and in the summer because of the tourists (or as the locals say, the grockels)

Personally I'd quite like some warmth now, but I'll take one last bite of the cherry, so to speak.

Then roll on camping, BBQs and surfing without the hypothermia.

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

Another snow shower in Nailsea, strange to see bright sunshine & snow.

snap !Had the sun and the snow at 3.20pm Nothing settled but it was pretty.

Posted

We definitely have enough sunshine and shower days when it's rain so to have one when the showers are snow has been really cool.

There was quite a heavy shower around 13.30 that started to settle on grass but stopped soon after, however around 15.00 there was a very heavy, blustery shower of graupel then snow which did settle on grass, rooves and cars. If it had lasted antoher 10 minutes then the covering would have been good, however what's laft now is a dusting on gardens/grass and wet roads which are likely to freeze over shortly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

Please could you blow it this way!! :)

Thank you Thank You, we now have snow falling, quite heavy

:)

:lol:

Edited by textmum

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A much more interesting day today - of which all the showers have been totally unexpected. I was not expecting any snow here today yet we've had a real sunshine and snow showers day with a notable heavy showers between 12-12.40 in Bristol. It only settled temporarily in the city but there is a very light dusting on the Dundry Hills south of here.

Posted

We had a very heavy snow shower in tropcial Weymouth earlier on this afternoon and my garden is now more white than green (albeit still only a dusting). Very nice though :) and and unexpected, as North Easterly PPN usually dies out by the time it hits us.

Edited by s4lancia

Posted

Quite heavy snow shower earlier on here lasted about 40 mins then turned bright and sunny for the rest of the day.Shower hit at 1.15 pm today.Grass & cars turned white.Then the sun come out and melted it all away.Cold though when shower hit temp dropped 3 c to 0.c then risen to 3 again afterwards

Posted

We had a very heavy snow shower in tropcial Weymouth earlier on this afternoon and my garden is now more white than green (albeit still only a dusting). Very nice though 8) and and unexpected, as North Easterly PPN usually dies out by the time it hits us.

Nice, more than we had lol...we had a shower didnt stick though.

Posted

*tumbleweed*

Evening, a whopping -5.4C at the moment! Which is somewhat lower than the BBC are saying. (Although I know they forget there is a patch of land in the SW that is significantly higher than much else around)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

*tumbleweed*

Evening, a whopping -5.4C at the moment! Which is somewhat lower than the BBC are saying. (Although I know they forget there is a patch of land in the SW that is significantly higher than much else around)

Morning, its very similar here also tonight although some partial cloud cover has pegged it down a little through the night so far. -4.3c

We need a snow event to perk this thread up because i think people are losing hope round these parts now and i just know we shall get an M4 north event for the tenth time this winter.... cray.giftease.gif

Posted

Morning, its very similar here also tonight although some partial cloud cover has pegged it down a little through the night so far. -4.3c

We need a snow event to perk this thread up because i think people are losing hope round these parts now and i just know we shall get an M4 north event for the tenth time this winter.... cray.giftease.gif

Haha i hate that, around the corner from my street is the M4 lol so i expect to see snow there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather

let dogs and cat out at 4am, to find thick frost on cars with a nippy wind.Debris was swirling round and round causing a mess.

According to Dunkeswell weather station -3c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

Everwhere is covered this morning with FROST!!!

Please let it snow! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Morning all...just checked the radar and another snow train appears to be going begging just 20 miles to our East! The similarity of this set up to the one we had early January is uncanny...maybe, just maybe this time??? :)

Posted

cold start to the day today!-6c first thing. cold.gif

looking ahead towards monday it looks like a cold rain event for the west country again! cray.gif

Posted

cold start to the day today!-6c first thing. cold.gif

looking ahead towards monday it looks like a cold rain event for the west country again! cray.gif

Hi Mullender, Unusual charts this morning, but I remain more hopeful than yesterdays synoptics. Some of the charts posted this morning have the uppers colder here in the south than north of the M4 corridor which doesnt happen very often. For next Monday that is. For ever hopeful that everything gets pushed a bit more east then we are in for a much better shout.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Cold with a biting wind today. I don't know if anyone else has been getting the same thing, but I noticed the last two mornings the frost is there on the cars at around 5AM, but by 6.30-7AM its almost all gone.

Posted

Hi Mullender, Unusual charts this morning, but I remain more hopeful than yesterdays synoptics. Some of the charts posted this morning have the uppers colder here in the south than north of the M4 corridor which doesnt happen very often. For next Monday that is. For ever hopeful that everything gets pushed a bit more east then we are in for a much better shout.

Yes there is a while yet, just getting my M4 moaning head on! acute.gif If anything at 300m i still have a good chance in a marginal setup but we shall have to hope it becomes a widespread event.

I think if we could get one more cold snowy spell I shall be content with my winter. drinks.gif

Cold with a biting wind today. I don't know if anyone else has been getting the same thing, but I noticed the last two mornings the frost is there on the cars at around 5AM, but by 6.30-7AM its almost all gone.

The frost is still on ground here on egde of bristol even now. I think it may be because your next to the River.

Posted

Hey where is everyone from this region, anyone would think it was wet, windy and mild (ok probably working etc lol).

But...

1. On the BBC Points West lunch time forecast Richard Angwin mentioned light snow moving South later tonight over Gloucs/Wilts with a few cm possible over higher ground (Salisbury Plain mentioned in particular).

2. The same forecast had snow for next Monday afternoon!