Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Welsh Cold Weather Discussion Thread

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/blizzard

difficult to say but certainly by then there should be snow on the ground - especially in North Wales - your trip could be difficult - I would keep a close eye on forecasts - and as the weather is showing that it'll be changing starting on sunday night - you'll be able to see how it's gonna effect you from then onwards and make any changes you need to!

quite a lot of the uk is under threat from snow next week - -5 uppers cover the whole of the UK at times - especially at night - slow moving fronts over night could bring lots of snow

Never seen you so positive jackone normally you always air on the side of caution ,Dare i call you a RAMPER!

:angry:

I try to take an even look at the models, but with so many people being negative especailly on the MOD thread, mainly because SE England is not in the firing line, perhaps I am being more positive than people on that thread.

Many of the experts such as Glacier Point are highlighting that the models may be a bit progressive in building the high to the NW and perhaps that the Low pressure will remain further to the east. That is the crux of the matter the further east the low and the more cold air that can push down from the north the better. Any further west, and a non event for most is likely, and further west and there could a be a major chance of snow.

However as it stands at the moment, there will be some snow across Wales and this is likely to fall to low ground at times as an example looking at the GFS 18HZ, snow seems likely to low ground Wednesday Night into Thursday and also for a time on Tuesday. But some ground of Mid and North Wales may see a mostly snow event as "upper" never reach above 0c.

Here was amongst the coldest paces in the UK last night, a min of -8c here, and -8/-9c in a few parts of northern England.

Beautiful crisp day with unbroken sunshine and excellent visibilty, such that snow patches visible on Cader Idris some 50 miles north!

Already down to -5.2c, so the third severe frost in a row. A memorable Winter now assured whether we get more snow next week or not!

That's the good thing about Easterlies of this type in winter, we either get snow or glorious sunny days like we have had in the past few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Hot sunny afternoons with a risk of thunderstorms this summer i wish, Is it too early to start dreaming?

Posted

Hot sunny afternoons with a risk of thunderstorms this summer i wish, Is it too early to start dreaming?

Fraid so - we got another 3 - 4 weeks I reckon of this cold weather to get through first - then we'll start to approach easter which may well herald warmer spring weather!

Posted

Good morning, lovely Welsh people!

I am spending half term in Brecon with my family - travelling on Monday and returning on Friday. Does anyone have any idea what we can expect? Looks a bit messy at the moment! I wouldn't mind getting snowed in though whistling.gif

Thanks!

Posted

I still think that people are being negative about snow prospects for Next week, and the GFS 12hz looks very good for the mid part of next week.

I agree jack one once the front passes bye,looks like a pretty strong nnwest wind according to latest fax charts,should have heavy wintery showers on that flow.

Posted

I am spending half term in Brecon with my family - travelling on Monday and returning on Friday. Does anyone have any idea what we can expect? Looks a bit messy at the moment! I wouldn't mind getting snowed in though whistling.gif

Thanks!

snow - snow - snow I'd say!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

Thanks!

You should see plenty of snow with that altitude!

Posted

You should see plenty of snow with that altitude!

Fabulous! My kids will be delighted! biggrin.gif

I guess driving might be a bit tricky though? I don't really want to get stuck with 2 six year olds and a 3 year old in the car! Oh well, you can't have it both ways!

Hope you don't mind if I pop in here over the next few days to keep an eye on what's happening?

Posted

Fabulous! My kids will be delighted! biggrin.gif

I guess driving might be a bit tricky though? I don't really want to get stuck with 2 six year olds and a 3 year old in the car! Oh well, you can't have it both ways!

Hope you don't mind if I pop in here over the next few days to keep an eye on what's happening?

no worries - at the mo the GFS is progging possible precip - snow/sleet/rain over night sunday and then right throughout the week - and as brecon is one of the most central points of Wales + it has some altitude it could cause you problems - best to keep tuned to forecasts and news bulletins!

Posted

Looking at BBC weather online is not very good for us regarding snow.

7C on Tuesday nea.gif.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Are we likely to miss out on this possible snow event? Just looked at the Met Office and tuesday has a watch for east wales for snow, think we will be too near the coast for this one though.

Posted

Are we likely to miss out on this possible snow event? Just looked at the Met Office and tuesday has a watch for east wales for snow, think we will be too near the coast for this one though.

the "snow event" is looking to last most of the week - so that's only one part of it!!!!!!!!!

Looking at BBC weather online is not very good for us regarding snow.

7C on Tuesday nea.gif.

daytime temps may well peak around there on one or two days next week - but over night temps (especially when the -5 uppers are over us) should be alot lower and any fronts passing then will lead to snow!

Posted

well i am pleased this morn as it does look like we are only going to get rain in wales except for very high ground so i should be ok to tow on tues,brecon got snow on them i could see them from top of bwlch mountain and expect that they will see more in the coming days but every weather i have looked at is saying rain or sleet. i do want more snow but not until im home,i think the day time temps are way to high for snow to be honest and this morn we had shower and it was rain on top of bwlch so that shows something is changing.

Posted

I'm sure Derek will reveal all in about 15minutes time on BBC1!

Posted

I'm sure Derek will reveal all in about 15minutes time on BBC1!

Derek has spoken - rain/sleet/snow (higher levels) anddddddddddddddddddd to lower levels also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

How am I looking for Sunday morning for a nice 10km walk round the hills of Caerphilly? Should I do it on Saturday instead?

Posted

I reckon the East might get a bit.

South West Wales on the other hand... probably not the rain fall here will be lighter into next week as the band moves SE.

Oh well... cold and wet! yuk!

Posted

How am I looking for Sunday morning for a nice 10km walk round the hills of Caerphilly? Should I do it on Saturday instead?

nope - you'll be fine

I reckon the East might get a bit.

South West Wales on the other hand... probably not the rain fall here will be lighter into next week as the band moves SE.

Oh well... cold and wet! yuk!

gonna be more marginal but there are still prospects for snow too throughout the week (over night mainly)

Posted

All my dreams... SHATTERED! LOL!

Posted

All my dreams... SHATTERED! LOL!

not the end of winter just yet still a few weeks to go - at least till the middle of march and we did well in the january snows!

Posted

I know Andy, you just built up all my hopes! LOL!

Now I'll be left with a big damp patch where the snow should have been! acute.gif

Posted

I know Andy, you just built up all my hopes! LOL!

Now I'll be left with a big damp patch where the snow should have been! acute.gif

you can always come and play with my snow in east wales - i'm sure we'll all see some though