Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Welsh Cold Weather Discussion Thread

J10

Posted

fab... some positive news!

I was starting to get worried that we might miss out. A few grains on top of the car, but largely dry with an amazingly clear atmosphere - can see millions of stars tonight.

Let's hope it doesn't get too mild, we want the snow to settle and stick around for a bit.

Watching CBS news earlier.. Baltimore has had 72inches of snow..... I'd settle for just a couple right now!

Posted

fab... some positive news!

I was starting to get worried that we might miss out. A few grains on top of the car, but largely dry with an amazingly clear atmosphere - can see millions of stars tonight.

Let's hope it doesn't get too mild, we want the snow to settle and stick around for a bit.

Watching CBS news earlier.. Baltimore has had 72inches of snow..... I'd settle for just a couple right now!

next week will deliver - the snow is a comin!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

That sounds familiar. Its far from certain all depends on small shifts in position of the projected low. West of us rain, over us a wintry mix, while the least likely one is east of wales which could well cause snow. Odds on rain or non settling snow.

Posted

That sounds familiar. Its far from certain all depends on small shifts in position of the projected low. West of us rain, over us a wintry mix, while the least likely one is east of wales which could well cause snow. Odds on rain or non settling snow.

GFS 06z - looks like snow for quite a bit of Wales overnight Monday into Tuesday to me mate!

gonna be quite a rollercoaster next week - I think we might get quite a few surprises in Wales (Snow surprises)

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Getting hard frosts out of this spell -8.2c this morning.

Posted

next week will deliver - the snow is a comin!

Lets hope that when the rain come snow falls its starts monday night every little thing helps that fraction colder could help,also we hope its heavy precipation they will reduce tempretures as well.

Posted

Current Metoffice 3 day forecast:

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:

Rather cloudy on Saturday but mostly dry. Rain spreading southwards to many parts during Sunday, with further rain and some hill snow for Monday.

Posted

The ECM retains the low almost directly over the UK and the GFS has now moved the low further west again, with the coldest upper air now sitting to the east of the UK this isn't looking so good for us.

Having said that, as others have pointed out, snow can still fall in this situation when conditions are favourable, and once the low sinks the GFS does put us back in the colder air next Thursday on its eastern flank with the wind direction veering easterly. A long way off yet though!

Posted

A long way off yet though!

Isn't it always.... !!!

Still very cold here today, and this blue skies weather is very good for the soul..! Let's hope we have similar set ups during the summer, with high sitting to our south..

Posted

Isn't it always.... !!!

Still very cold here today, and this blue skies weather is very good for the soul..! Let's hope we have similar set ups during the summer, with high sitting to our south..

yes,we haven't done so well for snow but the set up this week has been great for sunshine - next best thing!

Posted

GFS 12z - seems to be bringing the potential "snow" down to us a little earlier on this run - overnight sunday into Monday - with lots of potential therefafter - if the low sits in the right position Wales could do extremely well next week out of this set up! + the winter olympics start saturday - yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!yahoo.gif

Posted

yes,we haven't done so well for snow but the set up this week has been great for sunshine - next best thing!

Totally agree- I can feel my vit D levels soaring! Snow-drops out, crocusses budding...

Cold day though, frost and ice lasted all day in the shade here, though it is very noticable how much more reach the sunshine has compared to a month ago. Just a little reminder that spring is around the corner and that snow is going to struggle to stay for long away from the hills and mountains.

Judging from the latest GFS and the discussion in the Model Thread it looks like next week is still 'up in air': still loads of potential, but nothing nailed on- story of the last four weeks!

Edited by benb

Posted

Yes its a matter of holding back and blocking out what could happened,i have never scene the potential of so much snow in the offering.It could well turn out like the washinton snowstorms or a miserable cold wet week(keep telling myself the the latter to stay calm).

Posted

GFS 12z - seems to be bringing the potential "snow" down to us a little earlier on this run - overnight sunday into Monday - with lots of potential therefafter - if the low sits in the right position Wales could do extremely well next week out of this set up! + the winter olympics start saturday - yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!yahoo.gif

I wil drinks.gif to that news. I just hope we are not dissappointed but what will be will be I suppose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Highest ground of Wales could see plenty of snowfall next week, the coasts and low levels i fear will have rain

Posted

I still think that people are being negative about snow prospects for Next week, and the GFS 12hz looks very good for the mid part of next week.

Never seen you so positive jackone normally you always air on the side of caution ,Dare i call you a RAMPER!

Posted

Chance of snow tonight se/e wales i would say looking at the radar.

I don't think so Jay - the snow has a long way to come - our snow will be at the begining of next week and beyond

Welshwizard

Hi guys any news on what the weather is going to be like up until next tues? i am going away tomor in the caravan and got to tow it tomor and tues,so hoping there is not going to be any snow until tues night when we are home lol. i have been reading and some say snow from sunday but others are saying lots of rain from monday, i myself cannot read models etc but how come the people on model disscusion have such diff views from the same models? and another thing it looks to me that it may be back to 7 days away again for snow lol,i think they should blow these models up and go back to 3 day forcast because anything longer than 3 days it changes from run to run. no good for arranging towing vans etc lol.

The risk is there for snow as from about sunday night - I would keep an eye on the forecasts!

The way the temps are sizing up - there's plenty of precip about next week - it seems we'll get most of our snows overnight - and if we get a slow moving heavy frontal snow overnight then we'll get loads of snow - temps may not be too bad in the days either to keep it!

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Hi guys any news on what the weather is going to be like up until next tues? i am going away tomor in the caravan and got to tow it tomor and tues,so hoping there is not going to be any snow until tues night when we are home lol. i have been reading and some say snow from sunday but others are saying lots of rain from monday, i myself cannot read models etc but how come the people on model disscusion have such diff views from the same models? and another thing it looks to me that it may be back to 7 days away again for snow lol,i think they should blow these models up and go back to 3 day forcast because anything longer than 3 days it changes from run to run. no good for arranging towing vans etc lol.

Posted

The risk of snow is there as from sunday night and onwards - so I would keep an eye on the forecasts!

There's some really exciting weather coming up for us - not sure whether it's gonna snow/sleet/rain - but it's probably gonna be snow - afterall it'd be a bit dull if all we ever came on here and said - Another foot of snow todaypardon.gif - 365 days of the year - I know that's may be what we'd all like - but like the last cold spell - we did start to pray for some warmer weather so that we could get on with normal life again. So enjoy the excitement of the next couple of weeks - could be very interesting and for snow lovers it could also be very memorable

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/blizzard

helo andy which parts of the uk do you think will see the most snow next week? need 2 travel from n.wales to lincoln wed. thx

Posted

helo andy which parts of the uk do you think will see the most snow next week? need 2 travel from n.wales to lincoln wed. thx

difficult to say but certainly by then there should be snow on the ground - especially in North Wales - your trip could be difficult - I would keep a close eye on forecasts - and as the weather is showing that it'll be changing starting on sunday night - you'll be able to see how it's gonna effect you from then onwards and make any changes you need to!

quite a lot of the uk is under threat from snow next week - -5 uppers cover the whole of the UK at times - especially at night - slow moving fronts over night could bring lots of snow

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Here was amongst the coldest paces in the UK last night, a min of -8c here, and -8/-9c in a few parts of northern England.

Beautiful crisp day with unbroken sunshine and excellent visibilty, such that snow patches visible on Cader Idris some 50 miles north!

Already down to -5.2c, so the third severe frost in a row. A memorable Winter now assured whether we get more snow next week or not!