Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And Southeast Cold Spell Discussion

Coast

Posted

Sleety, drizzly mix with the odd bigger snowflake thrown in but the temperature is falling slowly...currently at 0.9c. The MO has it down to be 3c at thx moment and dropping no lower all night - would they have based that on an earlier run in the charts? (the 06z for example?)

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

We have a light dusting of snow :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Nimbilus an Yamkin stop clapping and drinking, im suffering here from a bit of a mixy drinky session last night!

:rofl: Just as well it wasn't a couple of nights ago then with all the clapping that was going on in here from you lot down South.

Just had drizzle this afternoon, but was watching a nice clump move in from Essex way but it was just pretty heavy rain, not even a flake mixed in.

Uppers pf -7c are good, but temp and DP of +1c just not good enough.

Would think Biggin hill has got a covering though this afternoon since it was all heading that way.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

biggrin.gif Just as well it wasn't a couple of nights ago then with all the clapping that was going on in here from you lot down South.

Just had drizzle this afternoon, but was watching a nice clump move in from Essex way but it was just pretty heavy rain, not even a flake mixed in.

Would think Biggin hill has got a covering though this afternoon since it was all heading that way.

Snow grains and flurries here through this afternoon.

It must be your dew points in view of your position close to facing the north sea perhaps?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Bloomin weather, its raining here now sob

-1.6c Dews but 2.7c air temp :-(

Edited by jasonuk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Snow grains and flurries here through this afternoon.

It must be your dew points in view of your position close to facing the north sea perhaps?

Your probably right there, I'm not far from the Estuary, not quite the North Sea, but also up a bit of a hill, highest ground in Erith! :rofl: None the less the Thames does have a modyfying effect. Having said this I noticed that many of the Showers north and East of here were also mainly of rain/sleet, think the coldest air just hangs on in to my South.

Your by the sea, what do you expect? You've had your 18cm fix now for this year! :)

No seriously, I was expecting far more sleet and snow reports around this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

biggrin.gif Just as well it wasn't a couple of nights ago then with all the clapping that was going on in here from you lot down South.

Hi there just got back in from watching a footy game,

I'm not sure about Biggin Hill but I was'nt too far away from that area in Tonbridge and Westerham area today and I did not even notice a flake of snow. Twas just drizzly and light rain blowing around there mate! so don't be too disheartened, whats the story on this feature tomorrow morning then and do you reckon our area has a chance of anything settling from it?

J

Posted

Your probably right there, I'm not far from the Estuary, not quite the North Sea, but also up a bit of a hill, highest ground in Erith! :rofl: None the less the Thames does have a modyfying effect. Having said this I noticed that many of the Showers north and East of here were also mainly of rain/sleet, think the coldest air just hangs on in to my South.

Your by the sea, what do you expect? You've had your 18cm fix now for this year! :)

No seriously, I was expecting far more sleet and snow reports around this afternoon.

Could you honestly say yourself "nah ive had a decent covering of snow a few times, i dont want any more"? I cant, its never enough! I think most of us wierdos are the same actually. Just as long as when the chances for snow have gone it warms up quickly...

Posted

Well it started as rain about 20 mins ago and now its snow here but wet and not laying as the ground is too wet from the earlier rain drinks.gif

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

-1.6c Dews but 2.7c air temp :-(

Are you sure it is raining?

I was in Hastings shopping late this afternoon and it was snowing lightly there.

Back home a few slightly larger flakes are currently falling amidst snow/ice grains. It isn't settling, but certainly not rain or sleet nonetheless

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Well it started as rain about 20 mins ago and now its snow here but wet and not laying as the ground is too wet from the earlier rain drinks.gif

Yeah its a 'wintery mix' here now (i hate that term!)I think i see the wind direction changing to a more North,North,Easterly now, so that might a stop to any of those showers from the North sea getting here now?

Posted

Yeah its a 'wintery mix' here now (i hate that term!)I think i see the wind direction changing to a more North,North,Easterly now, so that might a stop to any of those showers from the North sea getting here now?

Oh great another let down lol,never mind hopefully winter is not over yet,fingers crossed for next week MAYBE.drinks.gif

Posted

Steady light to moderate snow now starting to settle on car roofs and other surfacesbiggrin.gif

Even if it carries on snowing here its far to wet to settle nowcray.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Temp 3.3 and dew 1.5, had a heavy rain shower earlier and at this rate, rain is all I can expect :( It either snows lightly or rains hard - that,s not fair, it's the wrong way round :unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)

Biggin Hill had a few flurries today, some fairly intense, however, only lasting for a couple of minutes. Hoping for something more tonight?? Was totally shocked yesterday morning....let the cats out at 6am and it was damp and pretty miserable (I know, I'm a fool), then up at 8am to get the girls up, opened the curtains and wonderful, brilliant white snow...just would like one more 'event' and then I'll be happy with looking forward to Spring :unknw:

Posted

Hi there just got back in from watching a footy game,

I'm not sure about Biggin Hill but I was'nt too far away from that area in Tonbridge and Westerham area today and I did not even notice a flake of snow. Twas just drizzly and light rain blowing around there mate! so don't be too disheartened, whats the story on this feature tomorrow morning then and do you reckon our area has a chance of anything settling from it?

J

Hi there KP, not surprised, I was thinking more like up the very top of the hill like at 200m or so. Although Yankin has reported snow in Croydon, or Shirley today, I wonder how high up he is?

I think that the more rural you are and the higher up the better at the moment, and remember that the coldest air remains towards SE Kent not up this way so much but colder air is in fact moving back in tonight from the East.

NAE are showing snow for us tomorrow miday, fingers very tightly crossed!

post-3094-12660896152017_thumb.gif

Posted

Could you honestly say yourself "nah ive had a decent covering of snow a few times, i dont want any more"? I cant, its never enough! I think most of us wierdos are the same actually. Just as long as when the chances for snow have gone it warms up quickly...

Make you right there.

If I'm honest, I'd love just one whole month per Winter of just cold, with regular snowfall but also lovely crispy sunny days with no melt, like on the Alps when you go skiing, Christmas eve to-24th Jan be ideal, then a slow warm up. Am I asking for too much, surely not? :unknw:

Biggin Hill had a few flurries today, some fairly intense, however, only lasting for a couple of minutes. Hoping for something more tonight?? Was totally shocked yesterday morning....let the cats out at 6am and it was damp and pretty miserable (I know, I'm a fool), then up at 8am to get the girls up, opened the curtains and wonderful, brilliant white snow...just would like one more 'event' and then I'll be happy with looking forward to Spring :(

Ah right, thanks for that. Well if you have some decent altitude I think you will do ok even in the coming week.

Posted

Make you right there.

If I'm honest, I'd love just one whole month per Winter of just cold, with regular snowfall but also lovely crispy sunny days with no melt, like on the Alps when you go skiing, Christmas eve to-24th Jan be ideal, then a slow warm up. Am I asking for too much, surely not? rolleyes.gif

Ah right, thanks for that. Well if you have some decent altitude I think you will do ok even in the coming week.

I think thats a case of wishful thinking.The latest models for the SE show a gradual increase of temperatures over the coming week,which is backed up by BBC weather online.That E block of cold air just does not want to move any further our way.In fact it will start to retract next week from across Europe reducing the upper atmosphere temps in the process,bringing a thaw to their snowfields.Having said the weather dynamics take on a new slant from the end of next week with cold air moving down from the N with LP,which could bring Scotland alot of snow and the rest of us to follow afterwards.But as we all know a week is a long time in weather forecasting,especially of late,where we have seen such a variation in the model runs from one day to the next,so we will have to wait and see what transpires.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Hi there KP, not surprised, I was thinking more like up the very top of the hill like at 200m or so. Although Yankin has reported snow in Croydon, or Shirley today, I wonder how high up he is?

I think that the more rural you are and the higher up the better at the moment,

I just reported snow and it covered the car and house roofs :wallbash:

Posted

I just reported snow and it covered the car and house roofs :wallbash:

I noticed your report and Tamara's, but its not the same conditions anywhere else, its just rain mainly. Pit was saying just now that right up around Sheffield its been all rain as well even on the moors, guess right high up must have seen some of the white stuff though.

Think therefore that its just you lot again :help: down in the Extreme SE that are hanging on to the better than marginal conditions, for now anyway.

Tomorrows snow has been downgraded too by the NAE and GFS 18z run.

I think thats a case of wishful thinking.The latest models for the SE show a gradual increase of temperatures over the coming week,which is backed up by BBC weather online.That E block of cold air just does not want to move any further our way.In fact it will start to retract next week from across Europe reducing the upper atmosphere temps in the process,bringing a thaw to their snowfields.Having said the weather dynamics take on a new slant from the end of next week with cold air moving down from the N with LP,which could bring Scotland alot of snow and the rest of us to follow afterwards.But as we all know a week is a long time in weather forecasting,especially of late,where we have seen such a variation in the model runs from one day to the next,so we will have to wait and see what transpires.

Indeedy KPM, I'm warn out trying to keep up with the models. Northern Scotland looks odd on to get a fair bit of snow yet again, but as you say, we are still being kept waiting with baited breath as to whether the cold can then dig South and West or not. It's such a mess that I think its a time for just watching and waiting, even the most technical of people would sruggle, although I have a feeling a trend might at last show itself by early next week.

Edited by snowray

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Just woke up to wet snow falling in Dartford, no sign of it laying.

That didn't last long now raining hard.

It's now snowing fairly hard again.

Snow in Dartford I wish!! we've had less snow than even central London this year!! All I've seen up East Hill part of Dartford this morning is sleet and rain, I'm guessing your in a rural part of the borough?

Posted

A Good covering of snow this morning in Biggin Hill-Been snowing for a hour now. Last night snow laid but soon disappeared.

Could do well next week because of altitude-Anywhere above 140m will have snow I should think. :)

Posted

Snow in Dartford I wish!! we've had less snow than even central London this year!! All I've seen up East Hill part of Dartford this morning is sleet and rain, I'm guessing your in a rural part of the borough?

Rain here as well with the odd wet flake or two, join the club, harder to get snow out of a stone than in Erith!! It realy gets on my nerves when people say that they have had lots of snow all winter and people shouldn't winge........as if its been the same everywhere. :)

Yet again, areas further South have kept the coldest air but the main band of PPN is moving South through central/and West of London. Saw it was snowing heavily at Gatwick, imagine higher ground around Surrey, Sussex, Hamps will see some snow this morning, East Kent looking mainly dry although they might get a few more snow showers tonight in E Kent.

And guess what, more marginal stuff to come next week. Will it wont it!??? :)

A Good covering of snow this morning in Biggin Hill-Been snowing for a hour now. Last night snow laid but soon disappeared.

Could do well next week because of altitude-Anywhere above 140m will have snow I should think. :)

Thanks for that report, I suspected that Biggin Hill would have snow. (Up the hill like)

Edited by snowray