Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And Southeast Cold Spell Discussion

Coast

Posted

Had a bit of very light snow this morning even while it's thawing, still very icy underfoot where people have trampled the snow flat too

Posted

big thaw setting in here... :air_kiss:

my snow woman is thawing, she lost her pasta hair over night but I managed to stick it back on lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

hi all!

got a dusting last nightdrinks.gif but melted as turned to rainwacko.gif and then sleet early morning then rain again.

altho a bit less cold at moment with melting snowmen in places, the colder air is on its way back later cold.gif

might get some more snow shrs tonight moving in giving a dusting in places(at this stage)drunk.gif

cold.gifnext week meto advisorys out for tuesday

Edited by nimbilus

Posted

Just had a heavy ten minute burst of wet snow here in SW London/Surrey border. Then back to rain.

Can only have been ppn intensity, one assumes, but still, with a pocket of colder air lurking to the SE for later, a marginal interest.

Which has just picked up again but can see it's the back edge of a spell of sustained ppn we've had for the past 2-3 hours. The times that seems to happen; bit of excitement then blue sky!

Edited by pureasthedriven

Posted

Ideal conditions here, ideal conditions being second to a major blizzard of course! :rolleyes: , but ideal for keeping the current snow cover. Cold and cloudy so the sun isn't helping it melt off. Though the melt off is starting a bit, some snow sliding off roof tops and a gradual shrinking of the snow. Roads and paths now messy with footprints and grit but away from where the public have been such as the fields look lovely. :)

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

The lightest of snow flurries here just nowsmile.gif

It looks as though some colder upper air is going to hop back over from Holland and Belgium and return into our area very soon - through the rest of today in fact. This lasts through tomorrow and is still very close by on Sunday. Would think that there is a good chance that any showers that do crop up will still be of snow during this time

The remaining lying snow just has to get through the next couple of hours and hopefully frost and ice will return quickly after darkcold.gif

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Rain here in Guildford

I think the far south east has clung onto to very slightly colder air - but this is pushing back again westwards very soonsmile.gif

Edit; heavier snow started now - medium flakes!yahoo.gif

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Guest archiesmummy

Hi all

any body care to give us a glimpse into next week? wondered if same areas are likely to get snow again or will us in essex have a chance?

Thanks and hope your all making the most of your new snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

I think the far south east has clung onto to very slightly colder air - but this is pushing back again westwards very soonsmile.gif

Edit; heavier snow started now - medium flakes!yahoo.gif

Thats wierd the net weather radar isnt really showing much, you think there is some more out in the North sea?

Posted

Thats wierd the net weather radar isnt really showing much, you think there is some more out in the North sea?

Its certainly dark over the channel and raintoday shows some small showers starting to come in off the north sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any type.

This from uk.sci.weather, a forecaster called Will.. entitled "The Great Blizzard of 20th Feb 2010

It started in the early hours as a wave depression the previous day which deepened as it came across the warm waters of Biscay. By 0600 the central pressure was 970 hPa as it slammed into Dorset with 40 mph winds. Rain soon turned to snow and snow persisted all day over southern Britain as the low

moved into the Midlands. Power lines came down and at lunchtime the Government emergency committee COBRA met to discuss the developing situation. By evening all of England was covered in a blanket of snow at least 6 inches deep with huge drifts. Only the far west of Cornwall escaped and a walker on Dartmoor was lost feared dead in mountainous snow conditions. The next day 500000 people were still without power and it took many days for the nation to recover. Fortunately nobody was killed (the walker on Dartmoor survived by digging a snow hole) and the Met Office was praised for timely and accurate warnings. The Daily Wail called it the worst blizzard to hit the country for a thousand years, "A thousand year Dreich!" said one reporter.

Will

--

(How's that for a ramp?)

Edited by Lazarus

Posted

Yeah there are some tiny showers starting to show up, its also started to get cloudy here, worth keeping an eye opem to see if any intensify. Mega thaw here, temp got up to 5.5c earlier but has dropped to 4.3 in 40 mins.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Which has just picked up again but can see it's the back edge of a spell of sustained ppn we've had for the past 2-3 hours. The times that seems to happen; bit of excitement then blue sky!

yes i recieved that really heavy wet snow then sunshine blue sky now cloudy again, snow shrs tonight moving in from north sea as cold air returns, anyone else think this would happen?drunk.gif

Posted

This from uk.sci.weather, a forecaster called Will.. entitled "The Great Blizzard of 20th Feb 2010

It started in the early hours as a wave depression the previous day which deepened as it came across the warm waters of Biscay. By 0600 the central pressure was 970 hPa as it slammed into Dorset with 40 mph winds. Rain soon turned to snow and snow persisted all day over southern Britain as the low

moved into the Midlands. Power lines came down and at lunchtime the Government emergency committee COBRA met to discuss the developing situation. By evening all of England was covered in a blanket of snow at least 6 inches deep with huge drifts. Only the far west of Cornwall escaped and a walker on Dartmoor was lost feared dead in mountainous snow conditions. The next day 500000 people were still without power and it took many days for the nation to recover. Fortunately nobody was killed (the walker on Dartmoor survived by digging a snow hole) and the Met Office was praised for timely and accurate warnings. The Daily Wail called it the worst blizzard to hit the country for a thousand years, "A thousand year Dreich!" said one reporter.

Will

--

(How's that for a ramp?)

And i thought i was bad having everything crossed! :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any type.

Its certainly dark over the channel and raintoday shows some small showers starting to come in off the north sea.

Working up in Hawkinge today and there was near continuous fine, light snow falling. Have high hopes for that shower just off of Ramsgate at the mo!

Posted

this is what to keep an eye on for later ,most likely this eve/night ,altho there could be some wintery ppn before that , but this is my main area of interest for later heading our waydrunk.gif

post-11361-12659862043117_thumb.png

post-11361-12659865222217_thumb.png

Edited by nimbilus

Well I did wonder where it had come from!

Just been out to the shop and after the flakes there were very fine needles of ice falling (cylinder shaped - I could see them landing on my coat) and a few polystyrene mini snow ballettes as well.

I am wondering if with the slightly colder upper air returning it is kicking off a little bit of instablitity in the north sea again?

Posted

Just been out to the shop and after the flakes there were very fine needles of ice falling (cylinder shaped - I could see them landing on my coat) and a few polystyrene mini snow ballettes as well.

I am wondering if with the slightly colder upper air returning it is kicking off a little bit of instablitity in the north sea again?

Afternoon Tamara hope you're enjoying your snow. :wallbash:

Well looking upstream near the Dutch coast there does seem to be a line of showers developing and some colder upper air near around

-10 looks to feed back into the SE, I think we'll know in the next few hours how much convection could take place.

Posted

It might well be. Ive been watching the temps drop fairly quick considering its not that late in the day, with the cloud increasing its now dropping fairly rapidly, about 2c in just over an hour. Wasnt thinking that the radar showed earlier would make it or produce much by the time it got here but you just never know....

Afternoon Tamara hope you're enjoying your snow. :wallbash:

Well looking upstream near the Dutch coast there does seem to be a line of showers developing and some colder upper air near around

-10 looks to feed back into the SE, I think we'll know in the next few hours how much convection could take place.

Again, you just never know! Trying hard not to get my hopes up.

Posted

theres some ppn /of?showers moving into the thames est now , rain today shows thisrain todaydrunk.gif

Edited by nimbilus

Afternoon Tamara hope you're enjoying your snow. smile.gif

Hello nick. Yes, the last couple of days have been really brilliant fun. Yesterday was a solid ice day with snow showers and a little sunshine and with the lying snow being picked up and drifting in the wind. The sort of weather that is perfect for me and just can't be beatenbiggrin.gif

The METO had predicted showers to be of rain/sleet today, and although some have indeed seen this, the recent lightish showers here have been of snow/light graupel.

Hopefully that might bode well for later - especially as it should only get colder again. Not expecting a repeat of yesterday, but anything at all that comes is all good!cold.gif

Posted

prectypeuktopo.pngbiggrin.gif

radar watching tonight!

post-11361-12659907985617_thumb.png