Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Just me or have to models way over estimated precipitation amounts ? a lot of people are reporting nothing but very light rain and sleet. Even 1mm accumalated would be impossible at this rate.

Moderate rain here with a bit of sleet

Posted

bedford is in an awkward place, its not really east anglia or in the midlands, some just say the 3 counties anyway do u think i will see some snow ?

Edited by Snowy Easterly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Just me or have to models way over estimated precipitation amounts ? a lot of people are reporting nothing but very light rain and sleet. Even 1mm accumalated would be impossible at this rate.

Too early to tell yet? Snow wasn't forecasted this early so we neeed to wait til it turns to snow to decide.

That said, the ground is absolutely soaking here!

Posted

We've had nothing but light and i mean light rain here, yet radar has been showing 'moderate' precip over my area for the past hour or more.

Not looking promising at all.

Posted

Oh for goodness sake!! Temp risen to 3.4c and dew from 0.6c to 1.3c, going to wake up to wet surfaces in the morning then.

To be expected, your moving into the 'warm' sector, though its not quite as notable as further south. Should shoot downwards once the LP is around the same longitude as you.

Posted

which is the best website to use to access a radar?

I use this and pay to see the rain sleet snow boundaries. Non premium you will just see rain

http://premium.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted

Still moderate rain here no sign of sleet. Hopefully the magic will happen in the early hours! Off to bed now, enjoy those pulling an all-nighter lamppost/radar watching and good luck all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

I use the raintoday radar (premium) too, and it's showing the precip as rain until around 1am for Solihull and other areas, before turning at all snowy, so too early to panic yet I think.

That said, I'm thinking of not renewing my subscription because I seem to remember the forecasts that it shows weren't terribly accurate last year.

Have confused myself now.........

Edited by fizz511

Posted

Actually there are no legal defintions for midlands south east etc

see here

http://en.wikipedia..../South_Midlands

I'm south midlands if its snowing in midlands and South East if its snowing there, 20 miles from warkshire , 120 miles from Southampton go figure.

Unfortunately the lines have to be drawn somewhere. The 1974 boundary commission paided no attention to that sense of "belonging" and moved large parts of Yorkshire into Durham and Lancashire, also making up new counties such as Cleveland, thankfully now abolished. No such major changes were made in the south of England, the county boundaries have remained intact other than what has happened everywhere with urban areas becoming unitary authorities, so you could say that York is no longer in Yorkshire, it is in "the county of York". Which is a nonsense. Parts of the the East Midlands region, NW Derbyshire are in touching distance of Manchester. Meterological references to central England are fine in my book as it covers a much broader area (and can hide a multitude of vagueness), but if they say the Midlands then it is the East and West Midlands region, defined by the boundaries that exist.

Posted

Losing optimism here, anyone wanna lighten up my hopes? lol

Moderate rain here now with some sleet, still think at least 2 more hrs for here but who knows

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

right, I'm off to bed now. Can't see what's happening outside because the village streetlights have been switched off now, thought they went off at 1, must be midnight!

Temps still too high though. Have fun anyone staying up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Rain still falling here by villa park and temp of 3.5c

Rain still falling here by villa park and temp of 3.5c

Posted

Unfortunately the lines have to be drawn somewhere. The 1974 boundary commission paided no attention to that sense of "belonging" and moved large parts of Yorkshire into Durham and Lancashire, also making up new counties such as Cleveland, thankfully now abolished. No such major changes were made in the south of England, the county boundaries have remained intact other than what has happened everywhere with urban areas becoming unitary authorities, so you could say that York is no longer in Yorkshire, it is in "the county of York". Which is a nonsense. Parts of the the East Midlands region, NW Derbyshire are in touching distance of Manchester. Meterological references to central England are fine in my book as it covers a much broader area (and can hide a multitude of vagueness), but if they say the Midlands then it is the East and West Midlands region, defined by the boundaries that exist.

There is no debate about as they don't exist but yes its useful if there was a common ground for agreed boundaries

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

There is no debate about as they don't exist but yes its useful if there was a common ground for agreed boundaries

all very interesting chaps, but can we keep on topic please?.....cheers

Posted

bedford is in an awkward place, its not really east anglia or in the midlands, some just say the 3 counties anyway do u think i will see some snow ?

When I moved down to Bedford as a fresh faced new graduate 15 years ago the last thing I expected was to turn the TV on and get Anglia. I thought It was going to be Central or London, that was my preconception. You can see quite clearly now where the precipitation free centre of the low is, I think this is a tad further north. Dew point here is a bit high here, 2C. It has to be that wrap around now, pushing up the eastern side then drawing down. Wet snow in Bedford for early rush hour most likely (private schools have broken up, so much joy for the commute without the Chelsea Tractors), some local accumulations in and around Northants.

Posted

Still raining here, andy ideas on the time it may start to snow? (wild question i know..)

Posted

all very interesting chaps, but can we keep on topic please?.....cheers

Will do, certainly starting to see some pivot, and the centre of the low is conspicuous by the absence of preciptation.