Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussion - January

The watcher

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
Posted · Hidden by TonyH, February 12, 2012 - Wrong region
Hidden by TonyH, February 12, 2012 - Wrong region

Dare I say it..but Spring is in the air this afternoon.

9c with the sun trying to come out.

Posted

The model thread in meltdown again !!!

Some of them wrongly making statements like "Scotland and Ireland will do well from the NW'ly which is great, as they've been snow starved". Yea. We're snow starved, but only Scotland and the highest peaks of NW Ireland will see snow according to the latest outputs...

Annoys me more, as us here on the east, will defo get nowt out of it, especially at my paltry altitude!

Rant over. Thanks for listening!

Posted

Based on past experience of la nina winters, which have been dominated by the Azores high, I bet we'll get a cold outbreak in March.

Then we can all ponder about what might have been if it had occurred a month or two earlier!

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Based on past experience of la nina winters, which have been dominated by the Azores high, I bet we'll get a cold outbreak in March.

Then we can all ponder about what might have been if it had occurred a month or two earlier!

I have a feeling that will happen aswell,wouldnt be surprised if some places had a white paddys day lol. Snow and cold in March never excites me too much but after the winter we have had so far i would be happy to see cold weather with a chance of snow in March.

Posted

I have a feeling that will happen aswell,wouldnt be surprised if some places had a white paddys day lol. Snow and cold in March never excites me too much but after the winter we have had so far i would be happy to see cold weather with a chance of snow in March.

I'd love if we got a March snow storm, if only to teach those who are glad this winter has been so mild a lesson. lol

Posted

Dare we dream......

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20120213/12/150/prectypeuktopo.png

Cross model support for a cold snowy Saturday night and Sunday into Monday. Been here before though, haven't we?

Posted

Dare we dream......

http://cdn.nwstatic....ctypeuktopo.png

Cross model support for a cold snowy Saturday night and Sunday into Monday. Been here before though, haven't we?

I would not mind if that came off. Its looking a good bet atm for a short sharp cold snap at the weekend. If it does happen the North and Northwest in particular would do well from snow showers i would think. Dont know about my location though i probably would not see much.

Edit. ECM doesnt really go for it but anyway we will see what happens.

Edited by sundog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Meh, another high ground event I'd say, a few showers to lower levels but its looking much the same as early December. 12Z ECMWF has plenty of snow in Scotland but very little here

Posted

We just have to hope the GFS and UKMO don't fall in line with the ECM output, if not then snow for many in the north and west looks good - close to polar low territory too.

Although the this year the recurring theme has been the Azores high wrecking things, so the ecm certainly can't be discounted.

Edited by Partholon

Posted

I take it that you fellas aren't expecting much next week as its so quiet in here! We are the quietest thread in Net Weather! Lol! I will keep on hoping that we see something next week! Well at least to this coming weekend! Models need to firm up a wee bit but even if higher ground sees snow then its not to far for me to drive to!

Posted

It's been a dire winter for cold and snow which is why it's so quiet Ronan.

Looks good for some heavy snow showers Saturday into Sunday across the North West, North and North East of the Island, any snow at lower levels turning slushy I would have though.

Hopefully get enough snow to go sledging on Sunday as it's my son's 5th birthday.

Posted

Not expecting anything apart from maybe some sleet here on the east coast at my paltry level above sea... But maybe on Saturday night, we might get a little more... It's all nowcasting in this type of set up really... Whatever does fall, won't stick around long enough to get excited over it!!!

Posted

After the dire winter so far, i'll just be happy to see some transitory snow again. Hopefully some feature will show up in the flow so that other parts of the country, aside from the usual favourable locations, can get some snow.

Edited by Partholon

Posted

If the current charts verify then there's lying snow for high ground and probably some at all levels for a while in the north and west, should freeze overnight but for the most part its looking like slushy stuff for lower levels with day time temps above freezing. I can't see anything better than a light covering of wet snow for most but even that would be better than anything all Winter.

Posted

Has their been any snow Dublin way at all this Winter?

A disgusting dusting of about 38 flakes in early December!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The colder the better.

A disgusting dusting of about 38 flakes in early December!!!

Your lucky, down here it's been like southern Spain all winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

I have had nout but wet snow/sleet at best all winter. Hopefully something this weekend to enjoy with my first long weekend with the wee nipper. Hard to see though....maybe on the craigantlet hills.

Posted

GFS always overdoes the depth of cold from these mP events, whenever it shows -8C 850hPa temps this far out it always downgrades and usually ends up between -4C and -6C for most which usually means snow for high ground only. As I said earlier if the current charts were to happen we'd probably get some to all levels but that'd be too easy of course, plenty of ups and downs before we know what exactly to expect!

Posted

Pretty quiet in this thread...I have family in Dromahair, county Leitrim, expect them to see some snow this weekend. That said, the Met Eireann forecast doesn't look too exciting.

Posted

It's alway quiet in here now Polar! Think the fellas all feel let down by the crappy winter we have had! I would expect to see some snow this weekend as I'm up in the North West but we shall see! Maybe our little Irish thread will liven up in the next few days!

Oh and the Met Eireanne forecast is never exiting!!

Posted

No real downgrade as of yet, looking like it might finally produce an interesting day on Saturday after 2 weeks of constant greyness, snow showers should make it to low ground with plenty of heavy showers piling in to the north

Posted

Mildest day of the month at my location so far,max temp 10.9c. Yet another dull cloudy day,this month so far overall has been very dull.

I am looking forward to the weekends weather,i dont think i will see much in the way of snow at my location (although i live in hope) but at least it will be brighter with a nice chill in the air.