Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussion - January

The watcher

Posted

Well sadly I feel it's game over in terms of prolonged cold. I've learnt some lessons this winter about taking t-240 teleconnection signals too seriously. Also the idea that the vortex couldn't possible renew itself to any great extent in February.

As for spring, with a la nina winter, a cold spring could well happen. If so I hope we get a good snow storm sometime in March. It won't last long on the ground, but better to have it than not at all.

Edited by Partholon

Posted

im really looking forward to spring and warmth and sun, whos with me?

Im with you GeoffW!

ready to get the veg patch started again and get the fruit patch going again.

wee bit of heat in the sun would be really nice!!!!

Posted

Im with you GeoffW!

ready to get the veg patch started again and get the fruit patch going again.

wee bit of heat in the sun would be really nice!!!!

Here Baltic, just got some good quality manure delivered to me by the local farmer so will be digging it into the vegetable patch over the next day or two, its brilliant stuff nearly as good as the sh it the models have had us believing a couple of time this year ;)

Posted

Here Baltic, just got some good quality manure delivered to me by the local farmer so will be digging it into the vegetable patch over the next day or two, its brilliant stuff nearly as good as the sh it the models have had us believing a couple of time this year ;)

That gave me a real genuine lol, brilliant, thank you Pomeroysnow for that gem. :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Post of the winter in the Ireland threads.

I also am looking forward to spring and the warm sun. (sods law will shove us in the freezer again in 2 weeks though).

Posted

Good to see posters trying the old "I can't wait for Spring angle", hoping the models will fall for the bluff and plunge us into the coldest second half of February on record!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Frost, Thunder and Storms

We in Ireland seem to have been just stuck on the edge of the more exciting synoptics for several months now.

Late September 2011 - Nice late Autmn warmth over much of Britain - Ireland is stuck in the murky, rainy conditions further west http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2011/brack/bracka20110929.gif

Mid October 2011 - Record breaking heatwave in much of England with warm sunshine and packed beaches - cloudy and rainy over Ireland http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2011/brack/bracka20111015.gif

Late November 2011 - Mild and dry weather for much of Britain - damp, drizzly weather for Ireland http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2011/brack/bracka20111121.gif

Mid January 2012 - Cold, calm, clear and frosty in U.K. - Mild, damp, drizzly and cloudy in Ireland http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2012/brack/bracka20120117.gif

Early February 2012 - Bitterly Cold with snow incoming for much of England / Wales - for Ireland after a two day flirtation with colder air it is back to milder weather with south-westerly winds and mostly cloudy / rainy http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2012/brack/bracka20120204.gif

Sometimes that is just the way it goes. When we missed out on that heatwave in October I worried that it could be deja vu come winter and my fears have so far been realised. They have had snow as far south as Majorca wheren we can barely muster a light frost. Looking at outputs from the models there does not seem to be anything better in the pipeline unless something drastically changes. Our old friend the azores high has a lot to answer for this winter.

The old U2 song 'Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of' springs to mind

EWS

Posted

Lol this is getting quite rediculous!! Just when you all had just about written winter off! The models just seem to be flipping all over the place these days! Let's just see what the next few days bring before getting anyway exited!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

It worked then *wipes sweat away*...glad I put my neck on the line last weekend and said it would return....now pray it follows through.

Posted

Well I was trying to stay away from this forum, because i was resigned to winter being over, but came on today in the faint hope that the models might have changed for the better. **Finger crossed** it stays this way in the coming days.

Edited by Partholon

Posted

Of course for Ireland we need the Greenland high further west then currently shown otherwise get caught in the milder air toppling over the high whilst the coldest air tumbles down the north sea.

I'm hoping things back west another 500 miles or so.

Posted

Or an increase in the HP cell pressure, though the common belief is that this cell (should it develop) will topple away east of Greenland unless it gains strength and it's hard to see where this would come from. Still early days, but strong signals of the block developing.

Fingers crossed. Have to say though, after the near easterly debacle, and us being 250/300 miles too far west to enjoy anything of note, I'm a wee bit burned out.

I need some stuff falling from the sky to cheer me up!

Posted

:rofl::good:

Definitely post of the winter!

I did the same at the weekend but used the chicken manure and wood shavings from the coop! makes great manure and seems to keep the cats away (wee bu**ers)!

Spring is still just round the corner as the hens have started laying again. But that means we are still in winter! :winky:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

I wouldn't get too excited about anything next week, at best it looks like a brief northerly giving a few showers in the north, more realistically it'll probably miss us giving a dry cool day. Could change for the better of course but at the moment it's nothing much really

Edited by Harps

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I wouldn't get too excited about anything next week, at best it looks like a brief northerly giving a few showers in the north, more realistically it'll probably miss us giving a dry cool day. Could change for the better of course but at the moment it's much nothing really

Nothing to get excited about yet but i hope there will be upgrades. I really hope we dont end up with a 2 day toppler. Waiting all winter for a 2 day toppler LOL, i think id cry.

Posted

This really is boring the life out of me! Will it or won't it!! This has been the question for 3 months now! Think we may have to take our oil and take defeat on the chin!!

Posted

At this stage a toppler would do me. I had a hunch any high pressure we got in Greenland would be a temporary affair given the UK met office outlook . Met Eireann do mention the possibility of colder weather for early next week, with showers for the north and west. So hopefully it'll be cold enough for snow.

Edited by Partholon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

Things dont look great at the moment although the ukmo looks good IF their charts for early next week came off. Looks like though we may be chasing a lost cause at this stage. Looks like another chance of snow over parts of the uk in the next day or two again,very frustrating. <_<

Posted

Yes. The best we can hope for now is a two-three day toppler. Sustained cold is not going to happen in Ireland this winter. It goes to show that putting too much stock in background signals is a mistake, because based on those the pattern should be blocked for the rest of the month, instead the polar vortex will soon be back in charge for the end of the month