Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2012

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Trevor Harley from http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/2011_weather.htm says it was his most interesting April so it must have brought some interest to the extreme weather enthusiast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

My assessment of how "interesting" a spring quarter is really depends on the sum of its three constituent months, and by this measure Spring 2011 was a one-month wonder. I certainly found April 2011 interesting- the spell of unusual warmth, hazy sunshine and high pollution levels in the third week particularly sticks out- but March and May 2011, in both Cleadon and Norwich, were characterised by consistent unexceptional warmth and the day-on-day weather was overwhelmingly of the "usable" type, with varying amounts of stratocumulus and some sunny spells. Convective events were also close to non-existent at those locations during March and May. The by-product of this was an exceptional drought- in Norwich the ground was almost desert-like as we headed into early June.

In this sense the most 'boring' spring of recent years was probably 2009 as all three months had an emphasis on consistent unexceptional warmth and not much "weather", although March 2009 in Exeter (where I was at the time) had a couple of notable weather events early to mid month.

Ultimately it all depends on what one defines as 'interesting' but for me an overall lack of variety and notable weather events rather let the springs of 2009 and to a lesser extent 2007, 2010 and 2011 down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Equal warmest spring for the past 100 years, equal driest spring, warmest + sunniest April on record. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean there was nothing worth talking about.

And you're going to be waiting a very long time for rivers to be freezing up in April!

I did like it, it was very pleasant, but lacked any real noticeable weather events you can actually see. Why do you think this forum is so quiet during quiet spells of non-interesting weather? If it was in summer and temperatures were rising to the dizzy heights of July 2006 then it'd be different.

Edited by Aaron

I did like it, it was very pleasant, but lacked any real noticeable weather events you can actually see. Why do you think this forum is so quiet during quiet spells of non-interesting weather? If it was in summer and temperatures were rising to the dizzy heights of July 2006 then it'd be different.

It's quiet when all the snow-lovers and heat-seekers aren't here - it's not because the weather isn't interesting, these are the times are when only the real weather enthusiasts remain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

One thing which has been forgotten when everyone talks about how boring the last few springs have been is that cold northerly we had in May 2010 - I had a wet flurry of snow here, and many areas saw maximums in the 5-8 range with overnight frost. Quite cold for May!

It's quiet when all the snow-lovers and heat-seekers aren't here - it's not because the weather isn't interesting, these are the times are when only the real weather enthusiasts remain!

Lol, I tend to post less in times like this as I can't think of as much to say! This year is a little different though as I seem to have more free time now than I've had for at least a year.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

March and April 2011 were brilliant but may was very unimpressive which is why it does not rank as my faviourate season.

Posted

, it was far more significant than cold of December 2010.

I disagree, warmth has dominated the last two decades, to achieve a spell for that period of the year that was colder than anything that had been reliably recorded, the period late November to Christmas 2010 had a CET of -1.5C is remarkable. We have broken that many warm records recently that to achieve a cold spell of that significance is extremely notable. To me a cold record within a warm period or vice versa is far more notable than a warm record being broken admist a warm period where records are regularly falling. Its logical to assume that it is easier to break a warm record within a warm period and a cold record within a cold period and therefore harder for the counterposition, hence why the counterposition is more notable.

Edited by Mr_Data

I disagree, warmth has dominated the last two decades, to achieve a spell for that period of the year that was colder than anything that had been reliably recorded, the period late November to Christmas 2010 had a CET of -1.5C is remarkable. We have broken that many warm records recently that to achieve a cold spell of that significance is extremely notable. To me a cold record within a warm period or vice versa is far more notable than a warm record being broken admist a warm period where records are regularly falling. Its logical to assume that it is easier to break a warm record within a warm period and a cold record within a cold period and therefore harder for the counterposition, hence why the counterposition is more notable.

I take your point (though I know there are many posters here who would dispute that we're in a warm period regarding winters), however that cold spell was only a month duration - Spring 2011 was for fine weather as something like winter 1962-63 was for cold, a whole level above December 2010.

Edited by Interitus

Posted

It was not a whole level above December 2010 for goodness sake!!!!!! People will remember December 2010 for years, the kids of today will tell their grandchildren stories of the snow and the cold.. nobody will remember April 2011 in that way.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It essentially depends on what measure we're using. It's undeniable that Spring 2011 was remarkable statistically, for its warmth and, in eastern England, for its dryness- the record-breaking mean temperatures and the almost desert-like landscape around Norwich at the end of May reflected this. Whether it outweighs December 2010 is debatable, but I think April 2011 was a match for it.

Those who berate Spring 2011 for being "boring" are primarily relating to the day-to-day and week-to-week weather conditions- April had a fair amount of notable weather in that sense, but March and May were characterised by dryness and consistent unexceptional warmth and not a lot of weather.

Consider a winter quarter like the following:

December- CET 0.7C, rainfall 10% of average, sunshine 40% of average. Characterised by persistent dry cloudy weather with high pressure oscillating between north-eastern France and southern Scandinavia, and temperatures near 1C by day and night. Maxima never higher than 4C and never lower than -1C. No snow bar the odd light flurry near the east coast.

January- a repeat of January 1963.

February- CET 0.5C, rainfall 20% of average, sunshine 40% of average. A grey drizzly start to the month with milder temperatures (5C by day and night) and a thaw of all snow cover, then a return of the cold dry cloudy regime seen during December.

Would this be an interesting winter? Statistically it would be a phenomenal winter, with the drought, low temperatures and lack of sunshine reaching record or near-record levels. However I can't imagine two months of dry cloudy weather, temperatures constantly around 1C and no snow on the ground going down too well- chances are that many of us would remember such a season almost entirely for its re-run of January 1963. Although the example I present here is a bit exaggerated, I think those who call Spring 2011 "boring" are mostly doing so for similar reasons to why some might call the hypothetical winter above "boring".

Posted

I don't think extreme spring and autumn months temperature wise are quite as memorable as extreme winter or summer months because with summer and winter months you are approaching the absolute extreme, you don't with spring or autumn months. A month like August 1995, IMO is more memorable than April 2011 because you had higher temperatures, 30+C temperatures, with April 2011 temperatures were in the 20+Cs, significant for the time of the year but completely lost in a month like August 1995 or July 2006.

25C in April, although impressive for the time of the year is a fairly comfortable temperature but a 35C in August is not and therefore sticks in the mind more.

Its the same with a -5C in April notable but a -20C in January.

Posted

Not bad today most of a great Southeast of UK had temps nearing those on the Cote d'Azur ( riviera)

Locally 22c in the Southeast in France , not bad considering the cold wave of barely 13 days ago

For my location near Paris a grey grey grey day with a top temp of 12.6c , really compared to the cold wave, well am speechless..................

europe_23_16.png

Edited by jean91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

In the context of all Aprils during the last century i would say last April was the most noteworthy. Similiarly in the context of the winter months in the last century i would say that December 2010 was the most noteworthy month since the 80s. Perhaps, due to bucking the trend of endless mild winters, it was the most noteworthy since January/February 1963.

Comparing the two months i would say that December 2010 will stick in peoples minds for longer due to the fact that people never really recall Spring/Autumn months like they do with Winter/Summer. Thats unless a great storm comes along like October 1987.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

same map one hour earlier is better :

europe_23_15.png

A warm day for southern france especially the Montpellier/Perpignan area, with some places reaching 22C, Montpellier Feb record is 23C I believe, so just off the record.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

It was not a whole level above December 2010 for goodness sake!!!!!! People will remember December 2010 for years, the kids of today will tell their grandchildren stories of the snow and the cold.. nobody will remember April 2011 in that way.

Wrong, i'll remember April 2011 for years to come, and how it felt like a summer month at times.

Posted

Must admit, in terms of remember a very warm April, it had to be 2007 for me, a very settled and warm April and it was most certainly newsworthy even for the BBC!

April 2008 will be remembered for the total opposite reason of having a period of very heavy snow during the afternoon of the 8th which I have to admit must of been the biggest flakes I have ever seen in my life thanks to a heavy spring convective shower producing a period of rain-sleet-snow! Of course, it called off the Sunderland-Fulham game also on that day even though the sun came out not long after!

Hopefully we will see some spring snowfall, would be amazing if I record more snow on the ground during Spring than I did for the whole of the winter season.

Posted

With regards to April 2011, I suspect it would be remembered more fondly if we hadnt had April 2007 a few years earlier.

I certainly found April 2011 and Spring 2011 interesting from a statistical point of view as they were generally the driest, sunniest and warmest on average in a lot of areas. The problem is that the weather lacked variety and such springs are getting very common these days, so the novelty has worn off a lot.

Posted

March for me was the perfect spring month with the first half averaging close to 3C but the second half close to 9C but all the while being very dry and sunny.

May was just boring and showery.

Posted

I think March will be above or even well above average over W.Europe, including Britain, some northerly snow shower set-ups in the north although the south will remain settled, dry and above average with little or no snow south of Birmingham, with the mild set-up fading away in april which I think will be more unsettled and cooler than last year with showers/frontal rain at times, rainfall still no higher than average though.

Edited by BrightInBrighton

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

My punt would be....

March- Mild start, jet stream digging further south with some rain for all before relocation of HP to NE, migrating westwards with frequent NE incursions middle-end of month

April- Pressure higher than average E/NE not overly cold but chilly with raw flow of mostly E'ly/NE'ly origin, later in month HP settled over country

May- Warm, summerlike beginning before HP edges NW encouraging LP and stalling fronts from the S with cut off lows becoming prevalent- distinctly chilly end with rainfall edging to the high side of the mean by months end, especially in the south

I am seeing a signal for a very wet May/June period so this may ease the drought situation......summer may improve progressively throughout July into August.

A very generalised view, but it's how I expect pressure patterns to play out based on current stratospheric conditions and various model indications including CFS and a general hunch.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

It would be just typical that when parts of the country are in need of rain we get a Spring like last year followed by a hot and dry summer just when many wouldn't want it, I wouldn't bet against it happening.

Posted

I wouldn't bet against it happening.

Is that because you want it to?

Posted

It would be just typical that when parts of the country are in need of rain we get a Spring like last year followed by a hot and dry summer just when many wouldn't want it, I wouldn't bet against it happening.

I hope so, as long as it means Scotland also joins the fun and games this summer. I'd settle for the Azores High to last to September before disapearing when it should do allowing for a nice, proper Autumn and Winter.

Unfortuantly for us, I think the Azores High won't be here for Summer. I'm afraid Gavin that's the consequences of having continuosly mild weather at the wrong time of year. For me, mild between November and March is pointless, just like how cold is pointless in Summer as it doesn't do anything for anyone and all it does is bring miserable weather - instead a balance is needed and our weather hasn't been balanced and settled since April 2011.