Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2012

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I wonder if we'll get an early Spanish Plume this year - the last true early one was April 27th 2008, then again on May 4th 2008. I just missed out with the April storms (saw lots of lightning to my south though), but the May 4th outbreak delivered a very intense thunderstorm in E Cumbria with quite large hail (2cm) at around 6am.

2003 was a superb spring IMO, that really sunny and mild March and a notable early heatwave in mid April. Just a shame May was rather unsettled. Would take that though if we could have a similar summer to that year!

April 2003 was a bit dodgy here as there was a lot of North Sea low cloud at times, but I had a lovely week in Belgium in the second half of the month.

Posted

April 2003 was a bit dodgy here as there was a lot of North Sea low cloud at times, but I had a lovely week in Belgium in the second half of the month.

Yes in all honesty I don't remember it being great other than that remarkable warm spell, seem to remember it turning rather chilly after the heat left mid-month, although this could have just been how it felt in relation to the hot spell.

Posted

Yes in all honesty I don't remember it being great other than that remarkable warm spell, seem to remember it turning rather chilly after the heat left mid-month, although this could have just been how it felt in relation to the hot spell.

NE England didn't even get the best of that warm spell. I think May was decent though!

EDIT: Actually, I've just checked, and May was quite chilly overall until the end.

Edited by Alza 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

It soon turned chilly after the warm spell with temperatures back to single figures for many parts on the 19th and 20th. If you discount the very warm period from the 15th to the 17th the rest of the month wasnt all that warm. But i guess we would say that on the back of 3 very warm Aprils in the last 4 years. I think of all months, April is the one where our expectations have been skewed the most over the past few years.

Posted

Hoping winter will finally be over after today. I really can't wait for some nice spring weather. April 2011 was, for me, the perfect month. Always sunny and very warm but with comfortable nights (although not always!) If only all the months in this country could be like that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

March 2003 was an exceptionally sunny month across most of the country, ranking alongside the likes of 1907 and 1929. The first 10 days were mild and changeable and then the remaining two-thirds of the month were almost relentlessly sunny and dry, with warm days offset by cool nights in the middle third of the month and an emphasis on daytime warmth and southerly winds in the final third.

Statistically April 2003 was a warm dry sunny month almost everywhere, though not quite as exceptional sunshine wise as March 2003, or Aprils 1990, 2007 and 2011. However, I must admit I can't remember much of note about it in the North East- if anything I have much stronger memories of warm sunshine from April 2002. Winds and low cloud off the North Sea were probably indeed the main factor, as April 2002 had very little of that other than in the first week.

May 2003 was a cyclonic south-westerly month, and until around the 25th it was generally cool in the west but fairly warm in the east. The second week had sunshine and showers while the first and third weeks were mostly dull and wet in the west but close to average rainfall and sunshine wise in the east. The last five days produced an unusual warm spell which, away from western coastal areas, raised the mean temperature rather above the long-term average.

Spring 2003 overall was exceptionally warm and sunny but would have been better remembered if the synoptics of March and May had been swapped. The combination of weak high pressure and persistent southerly winds that we saw in late March 2003 was reminiscent of the synoptics that we saw a lot of during 1-12 June and most of July 2006.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

It soon turned chilly after the warm spell with temperatures back to single figures for many parts on the 19th and 20th. If you discount the very warm period from the 15th to the 17th the rest of the month wasnt all that warm. But i guess we would say that on the back of 3 very warm Aprils in the last 4 years. I think of all months, April is the one where our expectations have been skewed the most over the past few years.

Possibly, but Nov / Dec are pretty bad too since most people seem to care mostly for snow on here and often forget benign months like last April. Just days before the November 2010 snowfalls began people were saying that it wouldn't be cold enough for long lasting snow at low levels etc, but then 30-60cm fell in many areas in the N and E. Now that people know this is possible I feel their expectations have changed dramatically. Even after January 2010 most people would expect snow like that to be restricted to Jan / Feb, with the exception of freak months such as December 1981, and now November and December 2010.

My expectations for Summer have changed too - now I'm surprised when 30°C is recorded in London, and when 25°C is recorded here, although I now expect at least 3/4 good thunderstorms a year after the last few summers have actually delivered in the NE.

Posted

I can't imagine April being as good as last year- although we probably said April 2007 would never happen again in our lifetimes. The modern trend seems to be for warmer spring months- there has been a notably warm month in most springs over the past few years: April 2011, April 2009, May 2008, April 2007.

Posted

March 2003 was an exceptionally sunny month across most of the country, ranking alongside the likes of 1907 and 1929. The first 10 days were mild and changeable and then the remaining two-thirds of the month were almost relentlessly sunny and dry, with warm days offset by cool nights in the middle third of the month and an emphasis on daytime warmth and southerly winds in the final third.

Statistically April 2003 was a warm dry sunny month almost everywhere, though not quite as exceptional sunshine wise as March 2003, or Aprils 1990, 2007 and 2011. However, I must admit I can't remember much of note about it in the North East- if anything I have much stronger memories of warm sunshine from April 2002. Winds and low cloud off the North Sea were probably indeed the main factor, as April 2002 had very little of that other than in the first week.

May 2003 was a cyclonic south-westerly month, and until around the 25th it was generally cool in the west but fairly warm in the east. The second week had sunshine and showers while the first and third weeks were mostly dull and wet in the west but close to average rainfall and sunshine wise in the east. The last five days produced an unusual warm spell which, away from western coastal areas, raised the mean temperature rather above the long-term average.

Spring 2003 overall was exceptionally warm and sunny but would have been better remembered if the synoptics of March and May had been swapped. The combination of weak high pressure and persistent southerly winds that we saw in late March 2003 was reminiscent of the synoptics that we saw a lot of during 1-12 June and most of July 2006.

I remember March 2002 ending on a warm sunny note too. March 2003 was remarkable for its consistent warmth and sunshine- I recall temperatures constantly reaching 15-17C in Manchester with sunshine later in the month.

Also remember that late warm spell of May 2003. The Champions League Final was played at Old Trafford between AC Milan and Juventus on a balmy evening- I recall the Italian fans watching the game in shirtsleeves which says something about how warm it must have been! To Italians 21C is jacket weather.

Posted

It would be nice to have a varied Spring for once here, in recent years March has just been a filler month so something like March 2006 which gave heavy convective snow showers, frontal snow and also some very mild weather to would make a nice change this year.

An April that actually lived up to its name as gave some decent showers here would be nice to but still with plenty of sunshine, and then a warm exceptionally dry sunny May for once instead of always having it in April.

This weekend in May 2010 was especially glorious with 27c being reached in unbroken sunshine.

Rtavn00220100523.png#

Posted

I can't imagine April being as good as last year- although we probably said April 2007 would never happen again in our lifetimes. The modern trend seems to be for warmer spring months- there has been a notably warm month in most springs over the past few years: April 2011, April 2009, May 2008, April 2007.

It'd be nice to get a very warm May, April can be warm and I did enjoy 2011 despite being locked away doing essays throughout most of it (Typical!) however I'd rather have a warmer May with maybe a few thundery breakdowns as well thrown in for good measure towards the back end of the month.

Posted

Agree, would much prefer a warm sunny May to a warm April this year. Stronger sun and potential for higher temperatures as well as longer days. Imagine if April's synoptics had occurred in May last year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Temperatures here during April 2011 reached 23C/24C, but that's nothing compared to the 26C/27C reached in April 2007.. I think overall 2011 was warmer though, it was indeed a pleasant month and I don't really like hot temperatures so 23C/24C is perfect.

Posted

For me 30°C is the threshold for when it starts to get too hot, so its almost never too hot in Newcastle! Unlike most though I thrive in very hot and humid weather, I just love stepping outside into the sauna!

The 12z GFS for the week ahead looks every bit as pleasant as late February 2008 was, and that was an almost perfect end to a rubbish snowless winter. By the tail end of winter I want warm sunshine with a few brief snow events; I couldn't stand the thought of a Jan '10 or Nov/Dec '10 repeat now!

Thinking back 2008 wasn't as bad a year as some would make out - the Spring was very interesting with a varied March / April with some heavy snow at times, and May was fairly decent with a few thuderstorms. Then in July there was a good warm spell at the end which coincided with a week in the Lakes, although I gather the NE had cool sea fret at times during that week. I was in France for the first half of August 2008 where the temperatures reached the mid 30s with some great thunderstorms, so I missed the washout that affected the North of the UK. October brought the early snow (just sleet and hail here though on Halloween), and then there was some cold weather during late Nov and Dec, including a significant snow event on the 4th Dec.

The worst memory I have of 2008 is the prolonged NE'ly in mid May, but the best memory is this supercell thunderstorm near Paris (not my video):

Edited by Alza 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

April 2003 was almost a perfect spring for a number of reasons:

• largely sunny throughout
  • snow showers on the 10th
  • early heatwave 15th-19th
  • unsettled end of the month to go with return to school
  • huge thunderstorm to the end the month on the 30th

I would happily take that, any a cool wet May during exam season if it means a sunny and warm June-August and even September. :)

Posted

April 2003 was almost a perfect spring for a number of reasons:

• largely sunny throughout
  • snow showers on the 10th
  • early heatwave 15th-19th
  • unsettled end of the month to go with return to school
  • huge thunderstorm to the end the month on the 30th

I would happily take that, any a cool wet May during exam season if it means a sunny and warm June-August and even September. :)

Indeed, all my AS exams are in May so I can fully enjoy the whole Summer this year! :)

Having said that, I prefer revising outside in the garden.

Preferably, March, April and May will feature warm sunshine at times! Springlike today in NE38, high of 14c with cloud and sun.

15°C in my back garden, but we seem to have peaked as it has clouded over.

Edited by Alza 2

Posted

I found last spring boring to be honest, infact the last 3 springs have been boring but especially 2009 and 2011, there was hardly any variety.

The best spring for me was 1995 which had all sorts of variations and made it fascinating to watch to see what was going to happen next.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The above post matches my own thoughts exactly- I am a big fan of those "switch-arounds" between warm sunshine and chilly northerlies with wintry showers that characterised the 1995 spring quarter. In the previous three springs we've had just one of those, the switch from northerlies to unusual heat during the middle third of May 2010. The last three springs have been particularly remarkable for their absence of snowfalls in north-east England- at Cleadon the Marches of 2010 and 2011 passed by without a single flake of sleet or snow, although one odd quirk here is that the 11th May 2010 gave snow showers in many inland parts of the region, the latest in the season since 11th/12th (locally 17th) May 1995 though not as widespread as on the 6th May 1997.

Spring 2008 was pretty varied but I think we're rather overdue another variable one, at least compared to the standards of 2009-2011.

Posted

And mine too. We've had a trend of pretty homogenously mild springs with little variety in recent years. 2007, 2009 and 2011 were the worst. 2010 just escapes because it managed a snow shower on May 11th and had an average March of two halves.

Snowfall has been remarkable by its absence of course, but generally there just hasnt been any 'weather' at all. A revealing statistic here is that 4 out of the last 5 springs have had no lying snow and been sunnier, drier and warmer than average. I can understand why people might enjoy that, as its good usable weather, but from an enthusiast's point of view, what should be the most interesting season for variety has become exceptionally boring! Another interesting statistic is that May didnt manage to reach above 22C in each of those four springs, July didnt reach 25C after three of them and August didnt reach 26C after any of them. A coincidence perhaps, but possibly evidence that long settled springs do eventually break down, often in summer!

Posted

I actually found 2011 one of the more interesting spings of recent here, -4C frosts to 17C warmth in March, unusual warmth in April (easily beats 2007 here) and a few thunderstorms (better ones than the few years before that, at last!). Impressive temp anomalies for April and rainfall anomalies too. Though it did lack some things like 'April showers' (but most have recently) or lots of rain, or below average temps apart from Early March. There wasn't any snow either but most seasons don't have everything (this has been lacking from recent springs). May was a bit more uninteresting after thunderstorms on the evening of the 6th though with no proper warm spells here.

Overall of the last 2 years preferred March and April 2011, but May 2010 (apart from the T-storm in May 2011) It could be that I actually don't remember springs before the last few years so much though.

Having heard about spring 1995 though, I'm sure it would come well above the last few years for me too.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

t was far more significant than cold of December 2010.

Absolutely not. April 2011 was significantly warm but it's not weather you can really see or appreciate like a good storm or a huge snowfall, or the rivers freezing up or trees cloaked in frost. It was also bone dry. There was little to talk about, it was useful for outdoors activities which is good but from an enthusiasts point of view, it was boring.

Edited by Aaron

Absolutely not. April 2011 was significantly warm but it's not weather you can really see or appreciate like a good storm or a huge snowfall, or the rivers freezing up or trees cloaked in frost. It was also bone dry. There was little to talk about, it was useful for outdoors activities which is good but from an enthusiasts point of view, it was boring.

Equal warmest spring for the past 100 years, equal driest spring, warmest + sunniest April on record. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean there was nothing worth talking about.

And you're going to be waiting a very long time for rivers to be freezing up in April!