Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

February CET

leicsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Think if some of those temperatures for next week come off, with temperatures perhaps even reaching 19/20*C in the odd spot next Thursday (Netweather 10 day forecast have London down for 19*C, for example, but obviously likely to change) we could indeed see quite a lift in the February CET temperatures.

My 2.0c was looking promising a week ago, but will now be around 2c too low!

Same. Predicted 2.5*C, but looks like that could end up too low as well should this warm-up verify.

Posted

Think if some of those temperatures for next week come off, with temperatures perhaps even reaching 19/20*C in the odd spot next Thursday (Netweather 10 day forecast have London down for 19*C, for example, but obviously likely to change) we could indeed see quite a lift in the February CET temperatures.

Same. Predicted 2.5*C, but looks like that could end up too low as well should this warm-up verify.

Can't see a 19/20 degree temp next week - too much cloud around and no southerly wind - mid teens possible.

One thing we will see is a marked downward correction by the months end - but the chances of a sub 3 degree month seem to be dissapearing now, but sub 4 degrees still very likely I say. This month is very similair to Feb 2009 which saw a very mild second half cancelling out the cold first half.

Posted

Here's the latest update from Manley

CET: (Feb 1-17): 1.4°C (-3.0 degC)

E&W Rain: (Feb 1-17): 19.4mm ( 49 per cent)

E&W Sun: (Feb 1-17): 44.0hr (109 per cent)

© Philip Eden

High nighttime temps are the real threat to the CET after this cooler weekend. The models had originally been suggestive of cooler PM air and/or high pressure to finish the month. Now it is looking windier and with TM air and milder rPM air predominant - all this is bad news for the CET. Looks like I should have stuck with my original guess of 4.3C :doh: rather than lower it to 2.4C though I suspect the Hadley finishing zone after month end adjustment might still be high 3's rather than 4's.

Edited by Kentish Man

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Still think 4.9c looks like a sound bet , might hit 17c in parts of CET zone on thursday

As others have said night time lows of 7c post weekend will have a big effect

Edited by stewfox

Posted

The winter as a whole looks like falling into the mild category overall now. Not exceptionally so, but compared to the past three winters it has felt that way especially as the cold weather this winter was really concentrated into a two week period.

The real story is going to be lack of rain for the season though, a traditional north west, south east split looks like setting up and time is ticking now to get the rain needed to avert major water shortages!

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

If Rainbow Snow's 20C high comes that will be an all time record high for both February and whole meteorological winter.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Another rise today as well highs of 8c round here so allowing a low of -1c still means 3.5c average. After Monday spring arrives in full force so rapid rises to resume. Question is how high are we going to get.

Posted

If Rainbow Snow's 20C high comes that will be an all time record high for both February and whole meteorological winter.

Is the record still 19.2c 23rd feb 1990 cf -25c same day 1955

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Looking back on that 20*C prediction of mine for Thursday, I do feel I've really over-estimated the possible warmth for later next week with the airflow seemingly a little too Westerly to allow temperatures to reach that high. I agree with damianslaw that cloud cover could pose a problem for this, too (if it ends up cloudy) with it blocking out the warm sunlight. Probably still very likely to see quite a raise in the CET anyway, unless the models suddenly decide throw us into the freezer for the last few days of February.

Posted

With inevitable downward correction by months end of quite possibly 0.4 degrees I will say at this juncture absolute upper limit value we can realistically achieve is about 4.3 degrees - but it would take non-stop southwesterlies to do this and I am expecting the southwesterlies to relent by next weekend, absolute lowest limit probably about 3.4 degrees - this would require a rapid cooldown by months end thanks to heights building over the country producing colder nightime minima - quite plausible but we might not get there until the last day of the month... A good bet would be something between 3.8- 4 degrees. So just slightly below normal - breaking the run of 5 consecutive well above average months on the trot.

Posted

why not look on the CET web site its all there?

how to get there?

google it

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

just a bit of info please,the mild nest week at least will change things quite a bit,but what is the average Feb CET. Many Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

With people mentioning how the Meto claim that 4 or 5c above average means "very mild", in Summer it would mean more like "very warm" or "hot". In Summer 4 or 5c below average would be very mild if you get my drift.

Edited by Tellow

Posted

just a bit of info please,the mild nest week at least will change things quite a bit,but what is the average Feb CET. Many Thanks.

The CET averages for February are as follows:

1981-2010: 4.4 1971-2000: 4.2 1961-90: 3.8 1951-80: 3.7.

Posted

what is the highest daily cet of all time for any month please?

Highest = 25.2c 29th July 1948

Lowest = -8.9c 25th January 1795 (not 100% sure about that)

how to get there?

google it

Well with records going back to 1772, it would take quite some time for someone that hasn't had the information before. Kind of easier to ask someone who might already know!?

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted

With people mentioning how the Meto claim that 4 or 5c above average means "very mild", in Summer it would mean more like "very warm" or "hot". In Summer 4 or 5c below average would be very mild if you get my drift.

The Metoffice have specific words to descibe the weather depending on the season. In winter they will never use 'warm' for example, but instead mild or very mild. Yet in summer 'cold' wont be used, but cool or very cool.

There was a link somewhere to the descriptions on their site but I cant for the life of me remember where it is.

Posted

how to get there?

google it

A link for those that dont know 'google'

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/cet_info_mean.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

The Metoffice have specific words to descibe the weather depending on the season. In winter they will never use 'warm' for example, but instead mild or very mild. Yet in summer 'cold' wont be used, but cool or very cool.

There was a link somewhere to the descriptions on their site but I cant for the life of me remember where it is.

I think the word 'mild' should be used to reference both above average temperatures in winter and below average temperatures in Summer.