Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (cymru) - Regional Weather Discussion (part 3)

Posted

Snowing lovelly here now, thank goodness (Have a bet on) as I always listen to you knowledgeable *big word for this hour* people on here rather than tv. Now just have to go wake the kids up to prove it as they've been waiting all day haha. Enjoy x

Posted

And it's staying snowy at that, and turning heavier and starting to settle.

Has the tide finally turned? :)

Edit: yes, I think it has! Hallebloodylujah!

gotta concour with ya - just got in and within half an hour - flakes the size of 50ps and alot heavier - and settling all around! - could still be a good night for some! :clapping::drinks: :smilz38:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Nearly all snow here now. Dew 0.1c. About time

Posted

Hope some of you got the snow you were waiting for, though I'm surprised cold has not dug in as much as I expected, the temp here is warmer (0.9c) than it was at 8pm yesterday evening (0.7c) and what small dusting of snow there was has mostly melted. A few flakes in the air at the moment, should be dying away entirely over th next couple of hours.

Should be some good snow on the hills though, so at least it should be a good view...

Posted

well its still coming down and have a nice covering outside. but got to agree with the post above,temps are not as low today as i was expecting,cold hasnt pushed across as yet (but it is cold lol)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

3.6mm of rain yesterday. 1.5mm already today.

Snowing lightly onto very wet gound.

Looks like cold from the east digging in next week. Going to be a lot lot colder, but without incursions fron the West we'll be struggling for snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

snow turning back to rain here, off to school I go for a driving lesson.

Right then when's the next batch coming :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: eira mawr yn y gaeaf, braf yn y haf

Its snowed solidly all night and . . . . nothing. None of it has settled on the road Or pavement. A very light powdering on the cars , even less on the roofs. A light covering on the hills but no more than a dusting . How on earth can it snow all night and none of it settle !! This is exactly what happened just before Christmas. Utterly bizarre.

Posted

will try and take a few pics later on put them on here to show what a diff height has made to this event. only 70 m down road from me and hardly anything up by me covered.

Posted

just started snowing here in newport .i just dropped my mrs to the bus station and its raining at sea lvl but snowing at 77m asl .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Temp 1.4C and light snow here in Bridgend, its nice to properly see for a change :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

Light Snow in Cathays, Cardiff but really wet...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Very light snow but not sticking

Posted

Snowing here for the last hour. Covering on the cars and a little on the grass.

It certainly didn't deliver here as I expected. oh well. There's always next time

Outside chance something tomorrow but currently looking like south west england my get rain or a few flakes

edit: moderate to heavy at 10:15. A good covering now.

Edited by Cwmbran Eira

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Been snowing for a few hours now, temp now up to 1.5C and the snow is light and small flakes, expect it will stop soon!

Posted

Snow and white is all around up here in Pontypridd - lovely scenes and it's still snowing - temps have been marginal around the area - if it had been a degree or so chillier - things could have been a lot worse - but this is just the start of the cold - who knows what's around the corner for us yet! - enjoy the snow if you have it :clapping: otherwise - be patient - the easterly will deli ver even more I'm sure with it's bone chilling temps! :drinks:

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Snowing quite heavy in Newport but nothing sticking - nothing too exciting but anything is a positive with the winter we've had so far

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Got about 1-2inches of snow here and still snowing. Literally though a few meters down the hill there is nothing. Im right on the snow line. It was sleeting until about 1 in the morning then changed to snow since then. Snowing across Cardiff, just got home from a lesson but only sticking to car windscreens (in Llandaff that is)

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by A.J, January 30, 2012 - original post deleted in MOD thread so why post it here?...it's been deleted for a reason
Hidden by A.J, January 30, 2012 - original post deleted in MOD thread so why post it here?...it's been deleted for a reason

I know some people here are too frightened to go into the mod thread anymore lol but WOW some pretty truly amazing ramping going on in the model output discussion lol. But unfortunately for the s/e ;-(, Will post one of the posts which started it off just in case no one has seen it. Well if their is that much snow in the s/e they need to blow it over to us as that would be just plain greedy. Well, another twist and turn today it seems. I would be happy with just 2 inches :p

Posted in Model thread by RJS earlier.

If the 06z verified it would be a Jan 1709 type strike on France as well as near-record cold for southeast England. Snow streamers could be explosive Wed-Thurs and bring very heavy snow to Kent and even parts of London. I would say a within 72-hours blizzard alert is now warranted if you believe those maps. I would not be surprised to see 60 cms of snow in heavy thunder-snow streamers near the Thames estuary. These could carry on some distance towards Surrey and Sussex from that direction, I don't picture this as being skinny little 10 cm bands but Great Lakes style mega-bands when you consider the thermal contrast. The gradient is good, you don't necessarily need much more than 25 knots of gradient to produce mega-streamer activity.

This is the sort of organized troughing that I was expecting the North Sea to introduce, earlier maps looked too passive. In terms of France, this would drive -10 to -15 temperatures throughout the country even into the southwest wine regions and let's hope they are ready for that. Readings of -20 to -25 are not inconceivable in northeast France, Benelux and Germany with this.

For the UK, I think the country needs to start preparing for the certainty of extreme cold and locally disruptive snowfalls, because that looks 99% likely now and will have a considerable cost as well as being a severe health hazard for the elderly and disabled. This isn't going to be a dip down to -5, it's going to be a plunge down into the -15 to -20 range in many parts. I would defer to people more familiar with UK conditions but there may well be a rash of problems with frozen water systems and possibly situations where snow contributes to frozen infrastructure locally. There is an element of flash freeze suggested by the rapid onset of the severe cold.

t

Edited by alijoe
Posted

WOW some pretty truly amazing ramping going on in the model output discussion lol. But unfortunately for the s/e ;-(, oh we could all be doomed though according to some of them but not from the snow. Bloody typical lol.

It ain't over yet Ali - still snowing up here - the cold is now in and gonna stay for a good few days up to a week at least - and may be even longer - from that any fronts/showers etc should be snow - so keep an eye on radar and forecasts! ;)

Posted

Just seen England has severe weather alert for severity level 3 just issued by med. Oh goodness.

It ain't over yet Ali - still snowing up here - the cold is now in and gonna stay for a good few days up to a week at least - and may be even longer - from that any fronts/showers etc should be snow - so keep an eye on radar and forecasts! ;)

How come England on severe weather alert though and not Wales?