Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (cymru) - Regional Weather Discussion (part 3)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe disruptive snow or any other severe weather!

How does the 18z look ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe disruptive snow or any other severe weather!

That explains it then !!!

GFS 18Hz similar to 12Hz. at T+120 so might be worth giving the MOD thread a miss this evening.

never mind then gettin zzz now. Oh well look forward to spring now and next winter.

Posted

Very good but earlier very bad pointless really looking and judging 5 days ahead, snow in the east 5 days away lol.

never mind then gettin zzz now. Oh well look forward to spring now and next winter.

Even if SW winds do take over, the models seem to be keeping the threat of cold weather

They will probably be very different in the morning.

Edit the medium term on GFS is not too bad, with a lot of Greenland blocking and a potential battleground snow event. I judged it a bit too early!!

Posted

Here in Pontyates just sleet currently at 1.3c. My street is around 50-70m asl.

I just drove up the road towards Cynheidre and the precipitation was turning increasingly to snow from around 120m asl. The roads were a slushy mess and snow had stuck to paths, grass and road signs.

At around 160m asl I wouldn't be surprised if there was 1cm of snow on the path...

Very localised indeed. Such a shame I don't live a mile up the road otherwise I'd be much happier haha :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and hot sun

It's all gone slushy now temp 3 degrees.post-15587-0-69613500-1327877348_thumb.jpost-15587-0-69613500-1327877348_thumb.j :sorry:

Posted

ah well i give up now - no chance of snow for us here A470 between nantgarw/pontypridd, although andymusic had some and also ynysybwl which is only very short distance away. night all, catch up tomorrow, look forward to some better models tomorrow.

Posted

yep, I am with you. Actually, did not think I would say this as I am a winter weather geek lol, but I think I officially give up now. All the excitements and then dissappointments have finally got to me. Feel like I need to go to some sort of WGA meeting (weather geek annom) as this winter has really taken its toll on me. I have aged about 10years lol. Well done to all who did get the white stuff though. :acute:

Posted

yep, I am with you. Actually, did not think I would say this as I am a winter weather geek lol, but I think I officially give up now. All the excitements and then dissappointments have finally got to me. Feel like I need to go to some sort of WGA meeting (weather geek annom) as this winter has really taken its toll on me. I have aged about 10years lol. Well done to all who did get the white stuff though. :acute:

still got plenty ov time for winter to do its stuff,today was the first day ov our winter so far and fingers crossed it will give u the snow and cold u want. if the models start to keep showing good news your mood will change again and next time u may be the lucky one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

Snow stopped here...got a dusting overall....whens next chance for me?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

My dewpoint is 0.7c. I must be so close to snow... but so far:/ it's been stuck around that for HOURS and its just constant sleet, big disappointment... again. Has been a terrible winter to date, yes we're going to get cold nights and frosts this week but in terms of snow this winter, I doubt Il get any. I should be in a decent position, got a bit altitude etc but guess nearby Cardiff has an urban heat effect on my location and I'm not that far inland (only 7miles or so)

Snow stopped here...got a dusting overall....whens next chance for me?

Don't be so greedy lol

Posted

Raining quite steady here and if this turned into a :fool: Snow Event :rofl: it would be great , well i give up for now as there was to much hype (typical) going back to window watching and lampost watching than everyone going over the top and judging each other in the model thread .

Cold week ahead so fingers crossed for some hoarse frosts, also i seen some posters saying snow 2morrow night and into Tuesday , cant see that happening , also Country file forecast was naff realy , still think winters got something to throw at us so fingers crossed and lets wait and see , night all AQSM :good:

Posted

I'm not one for being needlessly downbeat but tonight has been dreadful for most away from the highest ground.

Am I correct in saying the snow was supposed to be a little more widespread? Temperature has been pegged at 1.2C for 5 hours or so, giving endless sleet.

Edited by jackfrost

Posted

How long is this precip post to last? My dew point just dipped to 0.5c.... and its starting to fall after hours of no change. I can't be far of snow..

Posted

I'm not one for being needlessly downbeat but tonight has been dreadful for most away from the highest ground.

Am I correct in saying the snow was supposed to be a little more widespread? Temperature has been pegged at 1.2C for 5 hours or so, giving endless sleet.

I was expecting it to be better than this. It seems in SE Wales anyway if your not in the heads of the valleys (Like places like Merthyr) there is no snow. I thought the lower valleys and hills such as here and Pontypridd should of had some snow if only 1-2cm. But absolutely nothing. It nearly 12 now:/ that precip will begin to fizzle out soon.

Posted

My dewpoint is 0.7c. I must be so close to snow... but so far:/ it's been stuck around that for HOURS and its just constant sleet, big disappointment... again. Has been a terrible winter to date, yes we're going to get cold nights and frosts this week but in terms of snow this winter, I doubt Il get any. I should be in a decent position, got a bit altitude etc but guess nearby Cardiff has an urban heat effect on my location and I'm not that far inland (only 7miles or so)

Don't be so greedy lol

Hi folks - sorry haven't been posting, had to go out to Blackwood - snowy over there but still wet on the ground

Nae might still give south wales something through the rest of the night - temps may drop further and it's progging snow until 12 midday - it ain't over till the fat snowman sings

12013006_2918.gif

12013012_2918.gif

Posted

Don't give up yet fella's. Reports of light snow in Worcestershire/Warwickshire with some moderate sleet here in Hereford. Cold air is digging in now for sure.

Totally agree - this is just the start of this cold session - February is looking full of potential - lots to fill your days and nights of weather watching - and lampost gazing - just you see - and for all height levels too - still snowing here as well right now - a bit slushy under foot/wet - but it's snow

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Ah, Andy and Herefordweather's posts give me hope!

The sleet here has turned ever so slightly snowier (not for the first time tonight: it tends to turn back to rain after a few minutes).

I guess a little snow is more likely through the early hours. Think I'd prefer light, patchy snow which settles and which is likely as the band starts to weaken than this persistent moderate sleet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Hi folks - sorry haven't been posting, had to go out to Blackwood - snowy over there but still wet on the ground

Nae might still give south wales something through the rest of the night - temps may drop further and it's progging snow until 12 midday - it ain't over till the fat snowman sings

12013006_2918.gif

12013012_2918.gif

Well this certainly moves me into the firing line just about now , would you agree theres quite an eastward shift on that? I only came back on the computer as i looked outside to see it snowing.

Posted

Well this certainly moves me into the firing line just about now , would you agree theres quite an eastward shift on that? I only came back on the computer as i looked outside to see it snowing.

Almost a bit of a pivot I suppose - but slightly shifting east - north end of it shifting a little west

Posted
http://www.cbwac.com/harbour/harbour/barrage/Current_Vantage_Pro_Plus.htm The dewpoint is 1.6c right on the coast slap in the middle of Cardiff Bay which is effected by urban heat etc. I must be so close to snow where I'm at the moment. Will stay up to 2 to see if anything changes. My dew is 0.4c now

Posted

And it's staying snowy at that, and turning heavier and starting to settle.

Has the tide finally turned? :)

Edit: yes, I think it has! Hallebloodylujah!

Edited by jackfrost