Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales (cymru) - Regional Weather Discussion (part 4)

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

As we reach the warmest part of the day and the warmer uppers slide over the temp is still on its way up, now -0.1C. I worry that only a little bit more and it will turn to sleet. However still snowing moderatelyish with a few mm's on the ground!

Posted

Good few cms now - still snowing heavy - competition for BIGGEST snowman now Open! - traffic has gone dead up our country lane - no "crazy fools" trying this road once this starts!

Posted

As per normal nothing here. Hopefully bit later will see a bit of a blast, know it won't pitch and will turn to rain, but would still be lovely to see it fall more than just a few sleet flurries.... PLEASE even for 10minutes I am now well and truly DESPERATE

Posted

As per normal nothing here. Hopefully bit later will see a bit of a blast, know it won't pitch and will turn to rain, but would still be lovely to see it fall more than just a few sleet flurries.... PLEASE even for 10minutes I am now well and truly DESPERATE

Ali it's coming - Cardiff has been getting a few cms - you should get a little bit out of this - you are the furthest South east in Wales - so are even more under the colder uppers!

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

Good luck Alijoe!! More knowledgeable posters on here are saying we'll have some more chances over the next few days so don't give up. Magor will have snow one day!

Posted

Is it meant to get cooler later? Or has that amber warning built false hope of this rain turning to snow later?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Drizzling here, started as wet snow earlier this morning. Got to laugh at the people down the local shop stocking up as if we're about to have 10ft of snow when all we're getting here is rain!

Notice on the BBC forecast for snow around East Wales, think they're under the amber warning too, however it looks very likely that it'll turn to rain later. Not sure what's worse, no snow at all or snow which turns to rain later!

Posted

Is it meant to get cooler later? Or has that amber warning built false hope of this rain turning to snow later?

To be honest I doubt you'll get anything on the north coast. Could be wrong though!

Posted

'Ello, 'ello, what's this? Snowing moderately now and settling. Strange after rain earlier, must be because the precip is heavier and getting through the "warm layer" faster?

Temp at 0.3c, dp -2.6c

Posted

Okay quick update.

This was forecast to be rain or Sleet in South West England. They had snow and still snowing there. Even radar showed rain where it was snowing.

Some parts of Wells and Bridgewater still getting snow right now.

Seems that although the fronts are moving as expected the cold is more stubborn.

Cold air is more dense than warm air so its not shifting quite as easy as expected, i do think it will shift thou.

As for temps later, as rain / snow band clears chance of clearing skies and ice

Posted

'Ello, 'ello, what's this? Snowing moderately now and settling. Strange after rain earlier, must be because the precip is heavier and getting through the "warm layer" faster?

Temp at 0.3c, dp -2.6c

Evaporative cooling. As the percipitation moves through the air it cools it.

Exactly the same way an air conditioner works. So in heavier percipitation more cooling of the air

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: eira mawr yn y gaeaf, braf yn y haf

still going but lightly. Not enough for snowman yet (or for the Local teenagers to start with their snowballs thank God !!). But at least its still coming down, needs to get heavier If we're really going to get anything worth having though...

Posted

Good luck Alijoe!! More knowledgeable posters on here are saying we'll have some more chances over the next few days so don't give up. Magor will have snow one day!

Thanks ourson and Andy, fingers and toes and other things crossed here lol. Enjoy everyone. x

Posted

Okay quick update.

This was forecast to be rain or Sleet in South West England. They had snow and still snowing there. Even radar showed rain where it was snowing.

Some parts of Wells and Bridgewater still getting snow right now.

Seems that although the fronts are moving as expected the cold is more stubborn.

Cold air is more dense than warm air so its not shifting quite as easy as expected, i do think it will shift thou.

As for temps later, as rain / snow band clears chance of clearing skies and ice

Don't depress me more! Living at 1400ft / 420 m asl in north east Wales and all we are getting proper is mild type rain ! LOL

Edited by Penderyn

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Temp at 0.3c, dp -2.6c

Think so Mike, it can go from rain to snow due to evaporative cooling of the air in heavier spells. Unfortunately it's too light here to change it from sleety rain.

I think any decent coverings reserved for eastern most Wales above 200m or so today, e.g. Andy's place!

Posted

Don't depress me more! Living at 1400ft / 420 m asl in north east Wales and all we are getting proper mild type rain ! LOL

Sorry !

On a brighter note for you, more chances into next week

Fingers crossed everyone sees some over next 7 days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Moderate snow and normalish size flakes now the temp has risen to 0.2C

Posted

Unless the front deepens i cant see low lying ares of the s east getting more than a few cms out of this .Most of the heavier precipition is to the north UK.

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Don't depress me more! Living at 1400ft / 420 m asl in north east Wales and all we are getting proper is mild type rain ! LOL

Makes me wonder if North East Wales and parts of the Wirral are under a warm sector, given the constant rain.

Posted

Persistent snow here in Machen. -0.5 c and sticking like the preverbial to a blanket. A couple more hours of this will leave a couple of inches. Let's go and enjoy it before we're back to drizzle.