Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion

Team Jo

Posted

ok my take on the wont it will it!!!! first of all if i am correct NW use GFS forecast for the forecasts on the site. The amount falling tomorrow eveing has inreased to 4.3mm and it is now showing as all snow. Also interestingly i am still saying this is on for tomorrow.

Will be a series of now casting and also remember as i have said a few times now the guage to rain to snow is each mm = 1 cm so 4.3 cm as an estimate for tomorrow night. bitterly cold once the cold weather gets a hold on it we are seeing 518 dam air over us guaranteed ice day and this will rumble on for a few days yet.

Forecasting snow is impossible lampost watching and also sticking hand out to see what is happening works best.

ONE THING I WILL SEE I WILL TAKE THIS COLD SPELL NAFF AS IT MAY TURN OUT TI BE TO ENDLESS RAIN AND DROSS AND FLOODING. HATE RAIN MILD GUNK ANY DAY...

Posted

I think a lot of inexperienced weather enthusiasts on here currently, please be patient, learn by plotting and reading charts, do not rely on computer generated simulations all the time, the best computer you all have is your brain, take in all the data, plot it, consider it, review it regular and you will get a far clearer enjoyable picture. So many variables in play in the South East this time of year, many layers of air at different temperatures, the sea itself playing a large roll too, and geography locally adding to this and then the larger overal picture.

Snow is coming, how much, how long, is a question impossible to answer, but you will not find the full answers looking at a simulation. The atmosphere is very volatile currently, just look at the snow that just built up in the estuary between Kent and Essex, you won't find that on a BBC forecast, as it is something they had not shown on the computer and something they forgot on the variables. Enjoy the moments this is when you really learn to predict snow.

Speach over!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Now take a look at the high res image

post-7073-0-07098800-1358075954_thumb.gi

post-7073-0-01016300-1358075971_thumb.gi

In fact, bar the first front which is mostly light and patchy, the second front is ALL rain bar the very, very back edge

The NMM doesn't even give us back edge snow

post-7073-0-17802900-1358076055_thumb.pn

I'm sorry but anyone who thinks THIS still looks good is wrong.

Edited by Daniel Smith

Posted

Anybody know when the SE radar will be fixed? It's showing just occasional updates. Have seen light snow heading into Southend imminent

According to the other thread, Met Office are going to have another try today. Nothing guaranteed though.

Using the 'Euro' option on the radar shows very light snow coming in off the Thames Estuary, which it was a bit more high-res though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Friend of mine just told me it is snowing lightly in Cranbrook,Kent :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)

Morning all hi.gif . There were flakes flying around in the wind here about half an hour ago. Clouding over again now with temp hovering above freezing. Hoping the fact that we're that much more ASL will benefit us. Please.......so want at least one winter wonderland dog walk cold.gif

Posted

Here is the latest image of the snow in the estuary, building and deepening cloud, really getting to grips with the sea temperature and deepening the clouds to produce some more sustained lake snow effect.

lakeeffect2.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/ Snow
Posted

Anyone got an update on the rain/snow situation for tomorrow? On my mobile so difficult to check the charts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm sunny days, tons of snow!

Kepp the faith peeps, expect nothing, then if we get nothing, no dissapointment, but if we do get snow then pleasantly suprised! if this shot doesn't amount to much, there is the rest of the week to look forward to :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

new to this thread and I'm so confused lol .I'm in Hertfordshire. some are saying rain/sleet for me tomorrow while others are saying snow. can anyone enlighten me ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Think met office just updated cold warning to level 3

Yes they have .... this is only one level below what would become 'national emergency' status so stay warm over the next few days and please check up on any elderly or vulnerable neighbours good.gif

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

I would suggest it's futile at the moment getting hung up on snow prospects after tomorrow. From experience showers or even streamers can get going with very little warning so why worry at this stage? The fact is it ought to be cold enough and merely getting this in place is easier said than done!

Enjoy the next few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Here is the latest image of the snow in the estuary, building and deepening cloud, really getting to grips with the sea temperature and deepening the clouds to produce some more sustained lake snow effect.

lakeeffect2.jpg

On the phone here,what area is that pic taken?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

In view of what Ian F said recently about a possible Kent snow streamer and potential accumulations later today there could well be an advisory from the METOsmile.png

Guest archiesmummy

Yes they have .... this is only one level below what would become 'national emergency' status so stay warm over the next few days and please check up on any elderly or vulnerable neighbours good.gif

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

Yes and comes on the morning we realised that yesterday my 17month old turned our storage heater off so we won't have heat til tomorrow now! Kids!