Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 15th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Trip to Pen-Y-Fan anyone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it!

This is all getting very exciting! Even though I might be in the marginal area, cannot wait to see what happens on friday!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

Yay met still have me covered

Posted

This is all getting very exciting! Even though I might be in the marginal area, cannot wait to see what happens on friday!

I wouldn't even take the amber alert area literally, anything could happen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

It's anyone's guess, could turn to sleet slushy mush but could also be a major event for a time

Anything falling from the sky in Pembrokeshire,Carmarthenshire? Radar showing something

No precip here in Pembs, dry and cold.

Posted

I thought the red alert was only for extreme life threatening conditions.

I wouldn't call 10-15cm life threatening.............in fact most of us,kids included,will be over the moon with it.

I wouldn't call 10-15cm life threatening.............in fact most of us,kids included,will be over the moon with it.

Posted

Red warnings are only issued shortly before an event when there is high confidence, if you go to the Meto warnings site and hover over the 'more details' link on the warning, you will see a matrix showing what colour warning is issued. For Friday's event the impact is sufficient for a red warning to be issued, but confidence is still not yet that high. If the event doesn't downgrade and if the more extreme solutions look like verifying, then you would expect to see a red alert issued late tomorrow evening.

Thanks for that. Red warnings don't seem to get issued very often (for any type of weather). Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow :-D

Posted

Just looked at my area on the MO weather and between 6am fri > 6pm has sleet sign but amber warning.....am I going to get sleeted in my home ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Edited by Icequeen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it!

I wouldn't even take the amber alert area literally, anything could happen

Indeed! I'd of thought geographically Llanelli would be slightly better off for snow than somewhere immediately on the coast in this situation since we have the Gower as a bit of a buffer especially with the wind forecast to come from the SE. Maybe I'm wrong but there we go!

Posted

Indeed! I'd of thought geographically Llanelli would be slightly better off for snow than somewhere immediately on the coast in this situation since we have the Gower as a bit of a buffer especially with the wind forecast to come from the SE. Maybe I'm wrong but there we go!

Your right we have had occasions when swansea east gets snow whilst, gower coast has had near to nothing

Even a few miles makes a difference

Edited by Marcus_surfer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

MetO warnings are encoraging for you lucky buggers in the south east. Gutted about Pembrokeshire having no warning at all, im sure we have more changes to come but certainly poor for me, good for most of you.

Posted

In rural areas such as Mid Wales 10-15cm (& certainlly 25cm) can be life threatening as roads are rarely treated (there is still snow lying on most roads here at the moment, only the highways agency maintained trunk roads have been ploughed and gritted) and therefore isolated farms and small communities are soon cut off, making emergency help impossible (it's an hour to the nearest A&E from here at the best of times) and if power gets cut off temps get very low for old people to cope with. Plus if there are strong winds and blizzards then it easy for a farmer tending to his sheep up the hill to become disorientated and succumb to hypothermia quickly.

I still think we're too far out to know what this cold spell will bring but it is always better to be prepared and nothing major happens than be unprepared when a major event does occur. I for one am making sure we're stocked (and it is a bit different as I run a small hotel so have to think about guests as well) with spare gas bottles, batteries for torches, matches and firelighters, that sort of thing. Hopefully I won't need any of it, but it's not out of the question that we could be cut off from civilisation for a few days and the power supply is fairly vulnerable to here too.

Edited by mikeocarroll

Posted

depends on if the tide is in or out?! search.gif

MetO warnings are encoraging for you lucky buggers in the south east. Gutted about Pembrokeshire having no warning at all, im sure we have more changes to come but certainly poor for me, good for most of you.

mate, feeling your pain!

Edited by marclt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Still only in the yellow area but meto are forecasting rain both tomorrow and Friday, hope it changes to snow by tomorrow!!

Posted

Gosh. Southeast Wales is beyond a doubt the place to be if this verifies.

Saturday:

1601130681270010170-1.png

Tuesday:

16011306153270010170-1.png

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted

Gosh. Southeast Wales is beyond a doubt the place to be if this verifies.

Saturday:

1601130681270010170-1.png

Tuesday:

16011306153270010170-1.png

I really think I best log out of this forum lol!

Posted

Bafan, have you seen the pictures of Tredegar after the 1982 blizzard? Absolutely incredible. I've posted them several times on here. Tredegar also holds the record maximum snow depth for a town in the UK.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted

In 1982 i was in school at Risca comprehensive then and remember the drifts were 5 feet deep out in the country lanes near where i lived ,we spent days up the mountain sledging. happy days good.gif

Edited by mickeyflyn

Posted

Bafan, have you seen the pictures of Tredegar after the 1982 blizzard? Absolutely incredible. I've posted them several times on here. Tredegar also holds the record maximum snow depth for a town in the UK.

Yeah but even better is that I can remember the 1982 snow! I was 5 at the time. It was unbelievable. Totally magical for someone that age, I've read Phillip Eden's site about the 1963 snowfall. think that is when we got the record :-D