Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

TBH the only chance of snow is Sunday before that its looking mostly dry and chilly with sunny intervals

Even the met office website is showing heavy rain (as of 19:53) on Sunday morning turning to sleet before turning to snow in the evening

I wouldn't get your hopes up yet for much snow it could turn into a non event again

http://www.metoffice...Time=1360454400

what about mon and tues dont we have an eastly

Posted

TBH the only chance of snow is Sunday before that its looking mostly dry and chilly with sunny intervals

Even the met office website is showing heavy rain (as of 19:53) on Sunday morning turning to sleet before turning to snow in the evening

I wouldn't get your hopes up yet for much snow it could turn into a non event again

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/darlington#?tab=fiveDay&fcTime=1360454400

I agree, the temperatures so far in this cold spell haven't been that low and I can't see a dramatic turn around by Sunday. Rain the more likely outcome at this stage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

what about mon and tues don't we have an easterly

That's too far away yet really to be certain easterlies are hard to come by these days they always seem to downgrade. The temperatures so far haven't been what I would describe as "cold" I would call it "average"

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Not much snow this week, but it has certainly been colder than average, which I think is about 7 degrees at this time of year. This has certainly been a decent winter overall, roughly on par with 04/05 or 03/04 in terms of snow, but with less mild in between the cold spells.

Posted

Current temps are all slightly below the long term mean for early feb. Now on average is the coldest part of the year. What Surprised me today is how high maxima ended up given the cold uppers and a direct north airstream, reminded me of some of the weak northerlies of the 00's such as early feb 05 and 08. Hardly a snowy northerly a bit pathetic really.

Posted

The easterly on Sunday - Tuesday is firming up now, but rather than being a convective, showery easterly it looks like there'll be a low pressure centre in the North Sea, and a band of heavy snow straddling somewhere in the east. The current GFS gives the North East quite a bit of snow, without over analysing where it is showing the heaviest bursts as obviously its too far away for that. It looks remarkably similar to the blizzard which mainly affected higher ground a few weeks ago, but next week looks less marginal at the moment. There is a warm sector further south though, and I can guarantee this will be modelled to move up the east coast nearer the time, so we really need this to be downplayed as much as possible.

Posted

Sure it will be very marginal on the coast and low lying areas as usual with a strong east wind. Consett will get buried again though!

Posted

That's too far away yet really to be certain easterlies are hard to come by these days they always seem to downgrade. The temperatures so far haven't been what I would describe as "cold" I would call it "average"

The precipitation charts you've posted on the Mod thread just now do not look too bad for us :) Edited by Snowmaggedon

Posted

The precipitation charts you've posted on the Mod thread just now do not look too bad for us smile.png

Yes they don't look bad but the 06z is a lot worse (charts to follow)

2 early snow warnings are out

Issued at: 1138 on Thu 7 Feb 2013

Valid from: 0005 on Sun 10 Feb 2013

Valid to: 2359 on Sun 10 Feb 2013

There is a risk that a band of rain spreading from the southwest during Sunday will turn to sleet and snow. There is the potential for accumulations up to 10 cm in places and the public should be aware of possible disruption to travel.

Mondays warning is mainly for the Newcastle area south

Issued at: 1139 on Thu 7 Feb 2013

Valid from: 0005 on Mon 11 Feb 2013

Valid to: 2359 on Mon 11 Feb 2013

Outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow will gradually clear from the northwest. There is the potential for further accumulations of up to 10 cm in places and ice will increasingly become a hazard. The public should be aware of possible disruption to travel.

For those on lower elevations and near the coast I think its best to keep your hopes down that way if its a non event you won't be disappointed

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

Following on from my earlier post in the MOD thread the 06z has downgraded the snow for many there is huge uncertainty but its looking quite marginal for many in England and Wales if you don't have decent elevation

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

The main reason for the uncertainty is the day time temperatures could be too high for some

ukmaxtemp.png

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Yes they don't look bad but the 06z is a lot worse (charts to follow)

2 early snow warnings are out

Issued at: 1138 on Thu 7 Feb 2013

Valid from: 0005 on Sun 10 Feb 2013

Valid to: 2359 on Sun 10 Feb 2013

There is a risk that a band of rain spreading from the southwest during Sunday will turn to sleet and snow. There is the potential for accumulations up to 10 cm in places and the public should be aware of possible disruption to travel.

Mondays warning is mainly for the Newcastle area south

Issued at: 1139 on Thu 7 Feb 2013

Valid from: 0005 on Mon 11 Feb 2013

Valid to: 2359 on Mon 11 Feb 2013

Outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow will gradually clear from the northwest. There is the potential for further accumulations of up to 10 cm in places and ice will increasingly become a hazard. The public should be aware of possible disruption to travel.

For those on lower elevations and near the coast I think its best to keep your hopes down that way if its a non event you won't be disappointed

yeah but a lot of people including sm rubbish the gfs and especially the 06z Edited by Boro Snow

Posted

yeah but a lot of people including sm rubbish the gfs and especially the 6oz

Yeah we'll just have to wait and see, its either gonna be a slushy rain fest or winter wonderland the next 48 hours will firm things up hopefully

Posted

Weather channel for my postcode has snow sunday-thuesday

They have sleet here for Sunday, snow Monday (50% chance) and snow Tuesday (60% chance) after that it slowly turns milder with 6c by the 16th

As ever those with a decent elevation will see snow those lower down could be marginal plus if it starts as rain at low levels it will struggle to stick unless it turns heavy

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

GFS is following GME this afternoon the backtracks are starting

Looking like a backtrack from GFS with rain and sleet quickly following on from the leading edge snow you will need to be well up for snow if GFS is right

gfsnh-0-72.png?12

gfs-1-72.png?12

gfs-2-72.png?12

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

Looking like an upgrade for the south so far for the snow and a downgrade for the north

gfs-2-84.png?12

gfs-2-90.png?12

gfs-1-90.png?12

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

Big upgrades on the 12z GFS, -10 850s knocking on the door by Monday morning with plenty of snow from the North Sea as well. Sunday looks dry to me with the precipitations mainly staying out west, but tomorrow morning could surprise some if that weakening band of snow makes it far enough east.

Posted

Monday afternoon and evening looks our best bet for snow with precipitation coming in off the north sea

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Cold uppers as well

h850t850eu.png

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

Monday afternoon and evening looks our best bet for snow with precipitation coming in off the north sea

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Cold uppers as well

h850t850eu.png

If all the jigsaws fit in place even low lying areas could get a dumping

Posted

If all the jigsaws fit in place even low lying areas could get a dumping

Indeed 8.4cm of snow is forecast here by 06:00 on Tuesday morning

http://spotwx.com/products/grib_index.php?model=gfs_pgrb2f&lat=54.52131&lon=-1.53397&tz=0