Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 8th February 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Phil Avery live broadcast just now.

Significant snowfall for Kent!

What a difference a day makes, yesterday it was the north Midlands for heavy snow and Kent just rain!

BBC News?

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom

What a difference a day makes, yesterday it was the north Midlands for heavy snow and Kent just rain!

Think that just goes to show how volatile this situation is,I think some pleasant suprises for some come tomorrow evening :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm & Sunny

Yes the graphics didn't really reflect what he was saying!

No graphical representation anywhere is being reflected by what either those presenting them are saying, or what certain people on here are excitedly ramping up!

Besides, surely given the amount of rain that's projected to fall in advance, the accumulations of lying snow are going to minimal as the ground will be so wet?

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Issued at: 1115 on Sat 9 Feb 2013

Valid from: 0600 on Sun 10 Feb 2013

Valid to: 2359 on Sun 10 Feb 2013

Early rain over western Britain is expected to turn to snow as it spreads eastwards during Sunday. Snow cover is likely to be very variable, with some places seeing little settling, others 2-4 cm, and with the potential for 10 cm or more over parts of the Midlands, Kent an Essex, especially later in the day. The public should be aware of the risk of disruption, particularly to travel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Alert of Snow for London & South East England :

Buckinghamshire, Milton Keynes, Oxfordshire, Kent, East Sussex, Greater London & Medway

Yellow Alert of Snow for East of England :

Bedford, Cambridgeshire, Central Bedfordshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Luton, Peterborough, Suffolk, Southend-on-Sea, Thurrock & Norfolk

Valid from: 0600 on Sun 10 Feb 2013

Valid to: 2359 on Sun 10 Feb 2013

Early rain over western Britain is expected to turn to snow as it spreads eastwards during Sunday. Snow cover is likely to be very variable, with some places seeing little settling, others 2-4 cm, and with the potential for 10 cm or more over parts of the Midlands, Kent an Essex, especially later in the day. The public should be aware of the risk of disruption, particularly to travel.

Issued at: 1115 on Sat 9 Feb 2013

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=uk&from=rss&sn=5D5EF2F0-362D-2410-5308-B44ED2074322_7_SE&tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-4.50&lat=55.74&fcTime=1360324860

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

Besides, surely given the amount of rain that's projected to fall in advance, the accumulations of lying snow are going to minimal as the ground will be so wet?

i think thats why the updated warnings mention variable accumulations - the heavier precip will settle, the lighter snow probably wont.

"Early rain over western Britain is expected to turn to snow as it spreads eastwards during Sunday. Snow cover is likely to be very variable, with some places seeing little settling, others 2-4 cm, and with the potential for 10 cm or more over parts of the Midlands, Kent an Essex, especially later in the day. The public should be aware of the risk of disruption, particularly to travel."

Posted

No graphical representation anywhere is being reflected by what either those presenting them are saying, or what certain people on here are excitedly ramping up!

No one is ramping!

The BBC news channel just said significant snow for Kent......?????!!!!???? Who's ramping? The BBC you mean?

Also I suggest you read the latest Meto warnings.

A possible 10cm of snow for Kent, Essex and the midlands!!

Posted

Have decided to ignore our weedy weather and watch some proper weather instead Boston Live Feed.

Love it. He was live from Sandwich US LOL. I wish

Edited by Redmc13

Posted

I'm confused..... Is the area now forecast to see snow likely to change again so dramatically (for us) at this late stage?

Hi Stevie having gone to bed thinking it was all over for us on Sunday/Monday and now seeing MetO warnings out now for snow I would say Yes it could all change but we are getting closer and closer to the event so it should get less likely to surprise us,we can only wait and see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Strange warnings.

Posted

Duncan if you check Met Office warning updated a little over 30 minutes ago, it states what Dexter has stated. So not sure why your saying anyone is ramping.

Also snow can settle on wet surfaces when heavy and often as soon as slight covering that initial wetness can freeze. I think people often think wet ground means no snow can settle. Not true.

Posted

Snow for kent? Every forecast ive looked at has downgraded our temps from 5-6 to 1-2c for tomorrow! Wowza! Bring it on! Especially after looking at usa snow the last 24hrs.....

Ps conneticut has a town reporting 12" in two hours! I wouldnt mind that!

Edited by willinkent44

Posted

Phil Avery:

"A slow burner, but Kent up through London, through the midlands towards the NW"

"SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL possibly up to 10cm"

I'm sure more changes are likely but compared to yesterday's washout this is a massive upgrade!

Edited by Dexter29

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Phil Avery:

"A slow burner, but Kent up through London, through the midlands towards the NW"

"SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL possibly up to 10cm"

I'm sure more changes are likely but compared to yesterday's washout this is a massive upgrade!

5.30am forecast didn't show that http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

So it's changed from then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Nowcasting at Its very best,coming up....kent look out, think thats where, the best will unfold!.could be good this, for us southern easterners.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Another request to those of you in the 2nd Round of the London/S.E.Snow Depth Cup who havn't P.M'd me, posted their altitude or put it in their profile, could you please let me have it by midday tomorrow. I need to calculate your handicap, based on your altitude, to balance the matches up a bit but unfortunately there's not a lot I can do about snowfall distrubution/windflow. I just hope that you all get a fair crack of the whip.

At work today and tomorrow and wont have a lot of time before HOPEFULLY our next snow event arrives, some time tomorrow. I'll review the situation tonight when I get in fro work but I wont be on the forum until around 11 or so.

You can calculate your altitude by following the link below.

http://www.daftlogic...nd-altitude.htm

Simply type in your postcode in the search box provided and your altitude will appear at the bottom of the map. If you dont let me have your altitude by midday tomorrow I will try and work it out myself but would appreciate your help, if possible.

Below is the Handicap System I'm using, the higher your altitude is, the greater the amount that wil be deducted from your final depth.

0 - 60 metres (Scratch) in other words no h/cap.

61 - 120 metres (-1.5 cms)

121 - 180 metres (-3 cms)

181 - 250 metres (-4.5 cms).

Those of you that have posted/P.M'd and let me have their altitude many thanks! I've also received P.M.s regarding inclusion into the competition, tbh it's a bit too late for that but I'm willing to arrange a few friendly match-ups. As I was knocked out in the last round I'd be pleased to take you on Snow Raven!

If any others want to have a friendly could you find a member fairly close by and I'll be in touch later tonight.

Meanwhile the draw for 2nd Round again:

Leigh-on-Sea (E) (PAUL SHERMAN) v. Reigate (Sur) (GREAT PLUM)

South Ockenden (E) (CRAZY DIAMOND) v. Little Wakering (E) (ESSEXGOONER)

Ashford (K) (PAUL ASHFORD) v. Ewell (Sur) (AMANZI)

Gravesend (K) (ICEBOX) v. Romford (E) (ROADRUNNER)

Rayleigh (E) (VESUVIUS) v. Dartford (K) (CHARLTON KERRY)

Surrey? (SNOWBOB) v. Thorpe (Sur) (SURREY)

Kent ? (KENT BLIZZARD) v. Shoeburyness (E) (BLACKIE)

Beckenham (K) (JIMMYH) v. Barnet (H) (SUBURBAN STREAMER)

Benfleet (E) (SNOWPRO) v. Surrey ? (LONDON SNOW)

Faversham (K) (TILLY) v. Bromley (K) (LUPIEJAN)

Uckfield (Sus) (TOM JARVIS) v. Kent ? (THROWOFF)

Waltham Abbey (E) (JOHN MAC) v. Ongar (E) (JO S)

Bushey (H)(SVALIJI) v. Forest Hill (L) (MACC SE)

Haywards Heath (Sus) (NIKKIB74) v. Wandsworth (L) (BLIZZARD BELLE)

N.W.Kent ? (KENTSPUR) v. Bromley (K) (VERTICAL LIMIT)

Bromley (K) (BROMLEY PILGRIM) v. Hailsham (Sus) (JULES71)

West/Central London (SNO'PROBLEM) v. Coney Hall (K) (BIGGIN)

Crowborough (Sus) (JAMES HARRIS) v. East Sheen (L) (DICKIE 1965)

Folkestone (K) (LOTTIEKENT) v.Sutton (Sur) (SOUTHBANK)

S.W.London (FLUID DYNAMIC) v. Rochester (K) (BARMY BINT)

Fairlight (Sus) (BLUEBREEZER54) v. Swanley (K) (SNOWBLUES)

East Farleigh (K) (SNIFFER MARK) v. Crayford (K) (MIKE STORM)

Halling (K) (HALLING WEATHER) v. N.W.Kent (LAUREN)

I'll have a look at our snow prospects tonight when I get in from work and come to a decision on when final snow-depths need to be measured, at the moment, possibly Tuesday sometime but I'll confirm that later today.

Regards,

Tom.

Edited by TomSE20

Posted

5.30am forecast didn't show that http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

So it's changed from then?

Yep, there's actually been two different forecasts since then!

Matt Taylor was the first to say about the SE receiving heavy snow!

I feel if things continue this way, Kent/london/south Essex could do very well out of this

Posted

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=48&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

18 hrs of heavy snow for kent through essex and london! Wowza..... Yes please bring it on.....

Ps its 6c here..... Heatwave..... ;)

Edited by willinkent44

Posted

Nice to see the upgrades this morning, however with daytime temps at 3 to 4C and nighttime temps not even getting below freezing, it's difficult to get excited about such a marginal and almost certainly short-lived event

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

New england usa,,,,geez...that real snowfall....