Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 8th February 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

My best bet for any snow will be Surrey, Kent, London with North london seeing the best total smile.png

how did surey pop onto that list lol? always the optimist hey! blum.gif

nothing set in stone yet so might as well remain positive until the fat lady does her thing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!

I wonder if we'll get scenes like this on Monday when we open our front doors rofl.gif

That's one serious snow storm they're having in the US! I do hope we get to see some snowflakes fall in the next couple of days, especially as it's so unpredictable at the moment. I think it's so much better to have this scenario whereby we are hoping rather than expecting, so much better than expecting only to see a downgrade and nothing!

post-13201-0-73860300-1360413702_thumb.j

Posted

I wonder if we'll get scenes like this on Monday when we open our front doors rofl.gif

That's one serious snow storm they're having in the US! I do hope we get to see some snowflakes fall in the next couple of days, especially as it's so unpredictable at the moment. I think it's so much better to have this scenario whereby we are hoping rather than expecting, so much better than expecting only to see a downgrade and nothing!

Lol there is an inch of snow stuck to the door as well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Really would love to witness something like that in my lifetime, a foot of snow is my quest!

Posted

Lol there is an inch of snow stuck to the door as well

I think there's even more than that! Up to 30 inches has fallen in places so far and it's not done yet! I know it's going to cause probs....especially the high tide and flooding, but must be incredible to see.

Posted

As expected the BBC downgraded the event for tomorrow. They even said in their lunchtime forecast that it wont be very heavy anyway, and patchy rain or sleet, may turn to snow later in the day. In truth its obvious they have absolutly no idea where or when it will turn to snow - if it does at all. Im too long in the tooth to get swept along with all the hype, as with these marginal setups, the rain normally wins. I can only see rain til it starts turning sleety and possibly wet snow later in the day as the colder airmass cuts in. No doubt it will change every hour.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Truth be told If i had the choice i'd pull my funding/tax payers money for the met office, I'd hate to think what they'd forecast if we had the type of event that the ne USA is having. Would probably forcast a chance of snow, then loads of people would've died

Posted

Truth be told If i had the choice i'd pull my funding/tax payers money for the met office, I'd hate to think what they'd forecast if we had the type of event that the ne USA is having. Would probably forcast a chance of snow, then loads of people would've died

Forecasting the weather in the US is a lot easier than forecasting the weather in the UK. The UK has the most complicated weather on earth.

Posted

As expected the BBC downgraded the event for tomorrow. They even said in their lunchtime forecast that it wont be very heavy anyway, and patchy rain or sleet, may turn to snow later in the day. In truth its obvious they have absolutly no idea where or when it will turn to snow - if it does at all. Im too long in the tooth to get swept along with all the hype, as with these marginal setups, the rain normally wins. I can only see rain til it starts turning sleety and possibly wet snow later in the day as the colder airmass cuts in. No doubt it will change every hour.

Ay?

I just watched the weather just now on news24

Phil Avery really ramping snow tomorrow afternoon

Posted

I am fascinated with how many people are not excited by upcoming weather and felt need to come to forum to tell us this.

Thanks but I am not interested in your lack of excitement or what's happening in Boston.

It's all about snow depth cup in this region please. Ramping allowed as well.

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Methuselah, February 9, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Methuselah, February 9, 2013 - No reason given

I am fascinated with how many people are not excited by upcoming weather and felt need to come to forum to tell us this.

Thanks but I am not interested in your lack of excitement or what's happening in Boston.

It's all about snow depth cup in this region please. Ramping allowed as well.

Exactly, I actually find it quite annoying that people slag off snow amounts in UK compared to America.

If your that bothered, then move!!

Posted

Exactly, I actually find it quite annoying that people slag off snow amounts in UK compared to America.

If you take a look at some of the place names (Sandwich, Braintree, Billerica), I think a few of them did!!! Although, I appreciate that it probably wasn't in a quest for more snow!

CD

Posted

The geography of the US is far more conducive for such snowfalls than the UK. Much more opportunities for very cold and very warm air masses to collide. However, we have had such snowfalls here is the past; they're just very, very rare.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

The geography of the US is far more conducive for such snowfalls than the UK. Much more opportunities for very cold and very warm air masses to collide. However, we have had such snowfalls here is the past; they're just very, very rare.

Rarer than this?

hens_teeth-590x409.jpg

Posted

c'mon, it will be the usual suspects that get the snow, cambridgeshire, heartfordshire etc. norfolk/suffolk certainly wont, the front wont reach here, it will stall to the west of us and pivot south as it always does

Posted this the other day, which is a repeat of what I said several days ago, and is looking like being spot on. Same old same old.

Posted

I haven't seen anyone slag off the amounts in the UK, it's just that if you are in this forum you clearly have an interest in snow, and as such a huge event is happening, it is perfectly natural for people to comment or be in awe of it.

The current storm in America was from two systems colliding that had already formed. It was clear to see the systems and the track they would take. The situation in the UK is different as the LP system hasn't formed so it's impossible to say precisely where the snow/rain will fall, hence why there has been many changes in the forecasts for it and it will no doubt still throw up some more surprises. That's why the MetO have struggled to be more precise with the current forecast for this up and coming event. I don't think the MetO have done too badly this winter at all smile.png