Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 22/03/13 08z ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Apparently EvapCooling isnt going to come into affect. ( Ian F , said something is too low for it or something yesterday. )

Either way..

Rain/Drizzle in glos.

It's effects will be less than in different conditions, the strong surface wind will inhibit the process, but to a point I still think it will play a part, as those snow reports in Coleford suggest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

With the strong wind evaporative cooling is something that can't happen , you need a stable still atmosphere for that to take affect !

The colder uppers will be digging south now along with the easterly winds , bringing low due points , and no daylight of course !

Yes your right I have never seen an easterly wind bring daylight with it.. rofl.gifrofl.gif

Right I am off to the pub now to waste a couple of hours and see if we have any news after good.gif

Posted

Snowing in places soith east wales now apparently.. i am mormally left out as right by tje new severn bridge but places quite near me now reporting snow

fingers crossed.

Posted

Heavy sleet here earlier although seems to have turned back to rain now, temp 2.1c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Tipping it down in Poole, just back from Wales, my word it's a mess up there! Bloody waste of a day, basically drove there(almost) and drove straight back. 19 hours later, here I am! Was fun though in the pickup

Posted

Looks GAME OVER for most of SW inc Bristol latest charts have the front going SE tomorrow and keeping us firmly in the rain band.

Agreed!

Always been v little chance for us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Looks GAME OVER for most of SW inc Bristol latest charts have the front going SE tomorrow and keeping us firmly in the rain band.

For this event, yes, but who knows what might turn up next week from convective activity, especially if the winds turn more north-easterly. Plus, we have at least a week of cold weather ahead of us, so that does increase the chances significantly compared to some of the shorter cold snaps of late.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

So after the rain clears, am I right in thinking that tomorrow is going to be dry? Haven't seen a forecast lately.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

From the high res NASA model...

geosfr-2-18.png?22-23

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

Wont happen sadly

Hmmm. Well, we run with 5-10cm parts of Cotswolds by end Saturday and 2cm MOGREPS mean accumulation parts of northern B&NES. Still 30% PROB some further south but this signal now strengthening for London and SE, albeit stronger still to N of London... I'll test that for real going to Herts for weekend....!

Posted

i am officially fed up with snow chasing cray.gif , hoping all these let downs will get rid of this snow obsession in time for next winter, it would be so much easier if i hated the stuff.

Posted

Hmmm. Well, we run with 5-10cm parts of Cotswolds by end Saturday and 2cm MOGREPS mean accumulation parts of northern B&NES. Still 30% PROB some further south but this signal now strengthening for London and SE, albeit stronger still to N of London... I'll test that for real going to Herts for weekend....!

I dont see it coming that far South as in terms of snow for Somerset, i hope im wrong but just not convinced enough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Do you know if the concerns raised by exeter are still there for next week Ian?

Posted

To me it seems to be going South back into the channel, but would be interesting to hear what the professionals think.

Posted

Actually, can see fergie is busy on Spotlight!!

To me it seems to be going South back into the channel, but would be interesting to hear what the professionals think.

Lets hope for a correction....

Edited by Beast of Dartmoor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Hi Ian, what do you/MetOffice think about the new NASA model, do you guys take it into account?

Posted

Hi Ian, what do you/MetOffice think about the new NASA model, do you guys take it into account?

Yes but it has no support from EPS. However, southerly bounds are uncertain so can't be wholly dismissed, but that NCEP run seems an extreme solution.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

It would be nice if they were! Then we might actually get some heavy snow, rather than purely a forecast of heavy snow! biggrin.png

Edited by Joe Levy

Posted

It would be nice if they were! Then we might actually get some heavy snow, rather than purely a forecast of heavy snow! biggrin.png

Haha!! That would be novel!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yes but it has no support from EPS. However, southerly bounds are uncertain so can't be wholly dismissed, but that NCEP run seems an extreme solution.

5-10cm for Cotswolds. I'm in Headington,East Oxford. Surely ill see a dusting at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter and summer

It's nice to see the back of that rain , always painful to see all our rain turn to snow for everyone else north of the m4 but still it's been a crazy start to spring and just mad that we are still looking at maybe one more snow event for the south coast over Easter before we see mild air finally push north!

Can't wait till I can get the mountain bike out and take my partner to dartmoor for some camping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Bahhhh! I moved down to Abingdon in Oxfordshire in Feb and I wish I was back up in Leicester right now. Just rain here and the dew point is still above 1c.