Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 22/03/13 08z ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Bahhhh! I moved down to Abingdon in Oxfordshire in Feb and I wish I was back up in Leicester right now. Just rain here and the dew point is still above 1c.

Just a few miles north of you, though at slightly higher elevation: heavy sleet!

Edited by Mark Neal.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

At least I now have a grumblebuddy.

NAE forecasts for southern movement of snow boundary have been consistently inconsistent. 06z and 12z seem to have the area plumb over here, whereas 0z and 18z barely scrape this area and move the snow north, BBC keeps copying 00z/18z, in complete contrast to the southward movement of the front on the fax charts - which has been consistent for several days.

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Hi Ian, is next weeks event for the south still on the cards?

Edited by offerman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

At least I now have a grumblebuddy.

NAE forecasts for southern movement of snow boundary have been consistently inconsistent. 06z and 12z seem to have the area plumb over here, whereas 0z and 18z barely scrape this area and move the snow north, BBC keeps copying 00z/18z, in complete contrast to the southward movement of the front on the fax charts - which has been consistent for several days.

Haha! Are you the owner of the Abingdon Weather station? I hope the snow line moves as far South as us. According to the Weather station in Abingdon, it's 2.2c with a dew of 1.2c. That is so close to good conditions for snow, but at the same time... So far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

SATURDAY: Cloudy, a few brighter spells in West Cornwall and Channel Islands but DRY!

Posted

Haha!! Thats right, you are simple cornish folk, but I couldn't think of anyone better to be neighbours with!! Life is simpler down this way.... I lived in London for 7 years before moving back here and I can honestly say that nothing would depress me more than having to move back to the south east!!

South west truly is best!!

So damn right, nothing would ever make me move to the south east. Overrated, overcrowded part of the world. Here is where nature and serenity is at.

Too true, I am up here during term time and can certainly say I won't be staying when I finish uni!, would have rather gone for a different location tbh.. Am outside London its self but still a bit too crowded/congested for my liking at times, and also presumably higher air pollution especially when the wind is in the east from London..

The weather is usually more boring up here too, I have found so far..

But, I get to come home for over 4 weeks tomorrow biggrin.png (actually today now, not sure why I'm up at this time, but have had a funny sleep pattern today lol)

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Rain rain ain here, no snow until next winter i reckon for ourbpart of the world. Gd luck and enjoy all those that have it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter weather and summer sun

After the early evening snow, which turned back to sleet, we now have ice pellets. Hoping it'll soon turn to proper snow. Current temp = 0.3oC

Posted

Finally .... the colder air appears to be digging in and is inching its way SW folks. Proper snow here now and beginning to settle. Temp 0.2oC biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Posted

1cm here. It's picking up a little bit. 5/10 intensity at moment as I write..

Posted

1cm here. It's picking up a little bit. 5/10 intensity at moment as I write..

What do mean by 5/10 intensity? If 0 = dry what is 10?

About half a cm depth here at the moment .... not as heavy as over by you looking at the radar.

Posted

What do mean by 5/10 intensity? If 0 = dry what is 10?

About half a cm depth here at the moment .... not as heavy as over by you looking at the radar.

0 meaning no snow, 10 heavy stff(whiteout) . Snowing moderately here; 5/10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Groundhog Day again!! Grey and raining. I just want some sun now! We ain't going to get any snow so come on sun show us what you got.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

morning all.....light snow here. we're right along the south western boundary of the snow/sleet/rain band, interesting to see if we can stay underneath it as there are brighter radar echoes (thus heavier ppn) not too far away....

Posted

morning all.....light snow here. we're right along the south western boundary of the snow/sleet/rain band, interesting to see if we can stay underneath it as there are brighter radar echoes (thus heavier ppn) not too far away....

Thats good. Hope it drops just a little further south!

Everything looks like its gone to east though

Edited by lfcdude

Posted

Yep Heavy Snow falling in Earley Berks as my friend has told me. That stuff has Oxon/Wilts name on it, so slowly moving but once under could be bullseye! H

Posted

Snowing here in glos. About 1cm on cars and grass settling on pavments but not on the roads. 5/10 on the snow scale.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

No snow here, just grey, dull, wet nothingness.... The mists have desended!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

steady snow here now...settling on cars and starting to settle on the grass....it'll need persistent snow to accumulate though considering how wet the ground is, but the ready looks hopeful for some persistent snow....fingers crossed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Sleet here in North Bristol. Now snowing!

Edited by Bristol/John

Posted

Currently a strange mix of ice pellets and the odd flake thrown in for good measure in NW Bristol although actually definitely turning more to snow as I type!

Temp a steady +1.3

Edited by Gas Ed