Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 21st May 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

My visit to Duxford Spring airshow is teetering on a Knife edge :-/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Cheers Steve.

Looks as if today's rain may be heavy at times, but should fizzle out overnight into a cloudy morning tomorrow, clearing later in the day. Dry through the BH weekend with some sunny periods but nothing to get excited about, Monday looking the best of the three days so far.

Just my two 'penneth worth, subject to change of course (it's the weather, come on Posted Image ) and please don't plan your weekend around it. I hope the break brings you everything you want.

To be honest I'm not really talking about the weather either, with regards to the decent break, but a certain amount of dry weather, with sunny breaks would make it better.

It's now clouded over completely here, with light rain. That sneaked up on me! Posted Image

Posted

My visit to Duxford Spring airshow is teetering on a Knife edge :-/

Do it, you know you want to :winky: 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. Gah! This weather is really getting on my pecks now. It's cold and wet here in Ippy. I don't usually mind the rain but...come on...this is supposed to be MAY FGS. And not even a TS to cheer us up. :(

Have a lovely Friday me lovelies and take care.

(I hope the break brings you everything you want.) Thank you, Coast. And you as well. :)

Posted

Hello all,

It has been a fair while since I last posted on this thread or on any other part of the forum. Main reason for this is due to upcoming exams, attempting to put some good effort into them to hopefully do well in return!

Meanwhile, it's a pretty wet and cold morning here, a band of rain passed through earlier and another band is approaching. Over the past month or so the weather hasn't been too inspiring I have to admit, a few good sunny days such as May Day but the weather over the past few days in particular has been poor. It reached 24C on this day here last year, might be lucky to reach 9C today. Thankfully this weekend doesn't look too bad, and certainly some 'usable' weather. Fingers crossed that it turns warmer and sunnier as we enter meteorological summer!

Anyhoo, that's probably it from me for the next few weeks! Have a great bank holiday weekend, and I'll be back in mid-June!

Kind regards,

Ben.

Posted

I'd much rather have cool and cloudy weather now, followed by an average summer, than the week to 10 days of fine weather we had at the end of last May, followed by the washout summer. :)

Posted

I'd much rather have cool and cloudy weather now, followed by an average summer, than the week to 10 days of fine weather we had at the end of last May, followed by the washout summer. Posted Image

Are you trying some sort of reverse physiology there Steve???? :whistling: 

Posted

Are you trying some sort of reverse physiology there Steve???? Posted Image

Possibly. The worst option would be dross now followed by another washout summer. :( Don't really want to dwell on that possibility...

Posted

Possibly. The worst option would be dross now followed by another washout summer. Posted Image Don't really want to dwell on that possibility...

In a dark and difficult week, I have I'm afraid been desperately trying to follow the thoughts in the MOD and other places to see a little ray of sunshine appear from somewhere on the horizon. Fingers crossed everybody!

Edited by Coast

Posted

In a dark and difficult week, I have I'm afraid and have been desperately trying to follow the thoughts in the MOD and other places to see a little ray of sunshine appear from somewhere on the horizon. Fingers crossed everybody!

Yep, agreed. I hope things pick up for you. It sounds like a few people in this region are struggling at the moment. :( A sunny, warm week or two would lift most people's spirits.

I'm finding the model thread a bit tedious at the moment - I often do though...Posted Image There's a poster there who has posted at least two ensemble charts, which looked very average, but were described by himself as though winter was coming back... I look for Gibby's posts for detail and balance and Frosty's for the optimistic side of balanced too - although I've noticed he looks for snow in winter, so is not just a warm aficionado. Gavin is alright, but biased towards warmth. Other less frequent posters are also appreciated. There are maybe two that I'm finding irritating currently - constantly ramping cold and never 'liking' balanced posts like Gibby's but always 'liking' their own little clique, when they post things like 'no sign of summer' etc. I feel like posting on there to say the same, but appreciate the etiquette of that thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Posting about cold weather towards the end of May while most of us are crying out for some sunshine and a chance to get outside does seem to playing devils advocate (to put it very politely) but also as much as one hopes for better weather there is a need to be objective when there is a lack of confidence that it is going to happen. There is a large difference imo between those two things

Posted

well work tomorrow 6am-6pm tomorrow and 6am-6pm on Monday not really to bothered need the dosh but I hope the weather is okay tomorrow and Monday...

Currently looks okay tomorrow not to sure on Monday :/ 

Hopefully good for lunchtime - early afternoon?

Posted

Posting about cold weather towards the end of May while most of us are crying out for some sunshine and a chance to get outside does seem to playing devils advocate (to put it very politely) but also as much as one hopes for better weather there is a need to be objective when there is a lack of confidence that it is going to happen. There is a large difference imo between those two things

Gibby is always objective though and has had little optimism until today. It's the posters who cherry pick the worst charts (for people who wish for summer warmth) and then extrapolate to say there's no chance of anything good, even well beyond the model range, or post comments on charts which are just plain wrong, who get my goat.

I understand that people might not be optimistic of our prospects, due to recent poor summers and other long term factors, like Arctic ice etc. but we are tantalisingly close to a good summer spell in a week to 10 days time - I hope we don't end up like Tantalus though.. :( A warm spell in early summer for me is the best, as we get all the daylight benefit. I actually think the summer will end up being decidedly average again though, unfortunately. 

Posted

I must admit I largely ignore those cherry picked posts - largely because they will always exist on that thread, however well it is moderated (which it is) and however much factual information there is to glean (if they chose to use it). I miss GP's posts, because although I sure never understood a fair bit of the technical analysis/jargon he presented  it seemed possible to be able to get some idea from it and form at least a simple opinion and attempt to transfer that into more simplistic termsPosted Image  Same with the stratosphere thread -  it is surprising how much one can learn from the mind of experts on therePosted Image

Posted

I must admit I largely ignore those cherry picked posts - largely because they will always exist on that thread, however well it is moderated (which it is) and however much factual information there is to glean (if they chose to use it). I miss GP's posts, because although I sure never understood a fair bit of the technical analysis/jargon he presented  it seemed possible to be able to get some idea from it and form at least a simple opinion and attempt to transfer that into more simplistic termsPosted Image  Same with the stratosphere thread -  it is surprising how much one can learn from the mind of experts on therePosted Image

Very true. :) I find I'm constantly learning even now. If someone posts a chart that I don't understand, I'll research to improve my knowledge. My technical knowledge is way less than some people here at the moment.

Posted

I'll research to improve my knowledge. My technical knowledge is way less than some people here at the moment.

and yours is way more than mine :doh: 

Posted

and yours is way more than mine Posted Image

Posted Image  You're kidding! The skew charts you post are one of the things I've only recently studied. :)

Posted

Posted Image  You're kidding! The skew charts you post are one of the things I've only recently studied. Posted Image

Doesn't mean I understand them!! (nice squiggly lines though!! :lol:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Raining here on the Kent/London border at the moment, with some more waiting to invade from the north. No gardening possible now until Weds and hows that looking. Oohkay, basically rinse and repeat of todays chart at the mo!

Posted Image

Que sera, sera and all that!

Hope you all have a lovely day and a great B/H weekend.

Regards,

Tom.

Edited by TomBR7

Posted

Well Tamara, I have enjoyed seeing you post more frequently on there - not only objective, but from our very own regional thread as well! 

AS

Posted

Morning all. I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but a BA flight made an emergency landing at Heathrow this morning with what sounds like an engine fire. Thankfully no injuries involved and the plane was evacuated safely.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22652718

Posted

Thanks ASPosted Image  Like Steve above, the technical things such as f.e those clever skew charts that Coast posts, I also haven't a clue what they mean eitherPosted Image

Have a good day Tomas - at least you are not missing any good weather while you have to be workingPosted Image

Posted

Grey and wet in Surbiton this morning with the heating on; reading all your comments about the model thread makes me wonder whether to venture back in. Yet more displacement activity from doing any actual work:/ Half-term has started early for my lad with an inset day today and I never find working from home very easy, but with a 2-day MBA masterclass worth of materials to prepare for the first Monday back after the school break I really do need to ... hmmm... tidy my workspace to get me all ready to concentrate!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The sort of day that only Laserguy would enjoy: stair rods at 7C!Posted Image