Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 12z 01/06/13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

3 successive hot runs from GFS now with the hottest day of the year likely on Wednesday now

Posted Image

And the hot day is followed by a warm night with temperatures just under 20c at 3am in the SE

Posted Image

Thursday sees the heat build again

Posted Image

Wednesday could see things go bang

Posted ImagePosted Image

The risk decreases on Thursday but this doesn't mean there won't be thundery downpours because given the heat they are very likely

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

NOT what I want to see! Couldn't make it up given what's coming this week (whilst I'll be either still at work or frantically working indoors getting things ready!)

Posted Imageviewimage.png

Really come on weather I've been nice to you over years no play nice with me! arrreggggg

Unfortunately the latest met office update doesn't look good for you either

Many areas are likely to see sunshine and scattered showers on Friday, with the threat of heavy and thundery rain for a time across South East England. More persistent rain accompanied by stronger winds is expected to spread eastwards on Saturday to affect most areas, although some eastern parts may remain dry.

Lets hope we see some downgrades in this rain and wind on your wedding day is not what anyone wants

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Well the beebs weather for the week ahead has just been on and either GFS is leading us down the Garden path or they are been very cautious

Wednesday highs of around 26c in London and mainly dry (GFS is at 30c with thundery rain)

Thursday highs of just 16c in London and mainly dry again (GFS is at 25c big differences here with a 9c gap between GFS and what the met office are going for)

So as we can see someone is going to be miles away especially on Thursday

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

BBC forecast just on BBC1 doesn't show 30+ on wednesday just a maximum of 25 -26 in the SE and that all depends on cloud breaks and then back down to 16 on so on thursday because they show the warm air been swept away

a lot seems to depend how far that warm front gets northwards with the warm/hot humid air behind it and though thundery showers are possible according to the BBC their forecast is for mainly dry weather

but they do state a lot of uncertainy so nothing is as clear cut as it appears and on a purely selfish note I hope the hot/humid air and thundery showers stays down south as I hate all of that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Well the beebs weather for the week ahead has just been on and either GFS is leading us down the Garden path or they are been very cautious

Wednesday highs of around 26c in London and mainly dry (GFS is at 30c with thundery rain)

Thursday highs of just 16c in London and mainly dry again (GFS is at 25c big differences here with a 9c gap between GFS and what the met office are going for)

So as we can see someone is going to be miles away especially on Thursday

The gfs is just showing the potential that is there for a hot and humid thundery spell, it's no different to in winter if a cold and snowy outbreak had the potential, it would be treated the same way at this range, i.e. underwhelmingly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

We will probably just get side swiped as often happens with the SE doing ok for a couple of days! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Could have some interesting weather this week with regards to thunderstorm potential. However, my feeling is that GFS has overcooked the temps, it will more likely be cloudy and humid, especially with a feed off of the North Sea, with max temps more like 22C than 32C. It's the sheer awfulness of what comes after that I'm more concerned about, yuck.

Posted

Cloudy conditions to prevail then the GFS has perhaps had a few too many beers with it's 30c.

Maybe we will hit the 26c progged by BBC but we'll have to see. I like warmth very much and even the other day, although cloudy, it was warmish and quite humid. In fact I believe the dew point was about 17c. It felt most unusual for England. That said some sun would be most welcome, a little cheeky seemingly.

A bit of a warm up then a quick cool down, once again cloudy, cool and wet conditions prevailing and out living any warmer sunny spells as per.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Here's a question: did anyone foresee the dramatic turnaround that occurred at the very start of July 1983? I'm almost sure that there was short-lived thundery outbreak (at least for East Anglia) during what was a generally dire June...Although there were high-level thunderstorms, the weather (on the ground) was far from inspiring - cloudy, grey and 15C - if I recall...

I'm not saying that the models are wrong, just that, if the pattern were to dramatically change, all of the models (and LRFers) will be taken by surprise...As per usual?Posted Image 

Posted

Here's a question: did anyone foresee the dramatic turnaround that occurred at the very start of July 1983? I'm almost sure that there was short-lived thundery outbreak (at least for East Anglia) during what was a generally dire June...Although there were high-level thunderstorms, the weather (on the ground) was far from inspiring - cloudy, grey and 15C - if I recall...

I'm not saying that the models are wrong, just that, if the pattern were to dramatically change, all of the models (and LRFers) will be taken by surprise...As per usual?Posted Image 

No, it wouldn't surprise me. Some very warm July years featuring in recent NOAA analogs.

These will be based more on a wider spectrum fit and of course are for years before the big green blob appeared as our regular summer default.

Posted Image

Posted

lets face it - thues/wed/thurs is miles away from being decided re where the high uppers get and the consequential rain band (and intensity). just watch each set of output and deduce the direction of travel.  remember that sat and today weren't well forecast as late as fri afternoon. 

Posted

so it looks like we will get yet another easterly tomorrow and tuesday with the east once again being on the cool side, if we do get an easterly no way will it be hot like the GFS is predicting as it always seems to overcook temps now rather than undercook them, today is about the 8th time in the last two weeks it has overcooked temps for my area

Edit typical downgrade for wednesday gone is 30c and is replaced with 24c for central england, that's still fine of course as long as it dosen't end up being average and 19c in the end, by thursday it cools down rapidly, gone is the heat that the 06z showed, the 12z replaces it with cool temps and it will be showery, the wild swings from run to run is doing my head in

Edited by Tony27

Posted

GFS is now more in line with the met offices expectations with highs around 24c possibly 26c max in some spots

Posted Image

Thursday is also down to lower figures now still higher than what the beeb have for London they have 16c GFS has 21c

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Just small adjustments in the track of that low have huge differences in the weather and temperatures predicted. For example parts of East Anglia had highs of 28 degree on the 06z, this run the temperature has been downgraded a full 10 degrees due to the wind coming from the North East as opposed to the South East on the previous run. Add to that the couple of hundred mile shift East of the warmest uppers.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

After a most dry and warm week we see a return to wet conditions on Saturday with a band of rain (heavy at times) moving west to east

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
Posted
Posted

Oh more wind from the North Sea, exciting. GFS also sobering up with an expected downgrade, only thing predictable about it really.

So we can expect an ok few days, it's not going to be wall to wall and hot but a bit of a mix and pleasant I would say.

Cooling down from Thursday though and back to basics.

Edited by rmc1987

Posted

There are a few positives from the models today, the Ecm 00z at T+240 hours with the azores/atlantic anticyclone heading towards the uk and on the Gfs 12z this afternoon, not far beyond the same timeframe shows a huge mass of high pressure to the west of the uk, both models show a scandi trough but the gfs trough looks much more organised with the ecm more of a departing low pressure system, the gfs in FI never improves whereas the ecm is much better, it encourages me to see all that high pressure building strongly northwards and edging eastwards towards late June, it may bode well for us later in the month and into July, our luck will surely change soon.

post-4783-0-39584000-1371402819_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-06079200-1371402842_thumb.pn

Edited by Frosty039

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

There are a few positives from the models today, the Ecm 00z at T+240 hours with the azores/atlantic anticyclone heading towards the uk and on the Gfs 12z this afternoon, not far beyond the same timeframe shows a huge mass of high pressure to the west of the uk, both models show a scandi trough but the gfs never improves whereas the ecm is much better, it encourages me to see all that high pressure building strongly northwards and edging eastwards towards late June, it may bode well for us later in the month and into July, our luck will surely change soon.

Well nothing stays the same forever but it's amazing how such a cool, cloudy, crap pattern can manage to stick around for so long at this time of year, and not just this year too. I don't see anything to convince me our luck will change even at t240, but then I'm a pessimist from experience lol...

Posted

Could have some interesting weather this week with regards to thunderstorm potential. However, my feeling is that GFS has overcooked the temps, it will more likely be cloudy and humid, especially with a feed off of the North Sea, with max temps more like 22C than 32C. It's the sheer awfulness of what comes after that I'm more concerned about, yuck.

The feed doesn't really look like being off the north sea on Wednesday and not strong enough to influence Staines anyway, Looks like you were right about the GFS overdoing maxima though due to it showing the plume too far west and it has now shifted things east, unless it changes back again.

What comes after Still get 19C maxima afterwards in the SE, maybe a tad higher. Probably some sunshine with some showers. This is using the 06Z which was the latest at the time of your post. The 12z is pretty much the same.

Posted Image

Not that unusual for June. If you think the GFS is 'shear awfulness' you can't remember last June that well.

Granted, not good at the moment for those only looking for warm/settled or heatwave weather, but then those just looking for that will be unhappy for more of UK summers than they will not be.

With a bit of luck apart from a few fronts most of the LP showing up now will be more 'sunshine and showers' type weather.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

Well nothing stays the same forever but it's amazing how such a cool, cloudy, crap pattern can manage to stick around for so long at this time of year, and not just this year too. I don't see anything to convince me our luck will change even at t240, but then I'm a pessimist from experience lol...

Well we can't be stuck under a trough all the time, the week ahead looks relatively good to me, lots of fine and pleasantly warm weather widespread across the uk with just a few scattered showers but becoming warmer and more humid with the risk of thundery rain across the far south/southeast but many areas dry with sunny spells, turning unsettled from the west next weekend into the following week.