Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 17/09/13 ------------>

Methuselah

Posted

Actually not a bad Autumn morning out there. Still a tad chilly but nice and fresh/clean and a few leaves are starting to turn colour. An abundance of 'fruit' on the ground too:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Morning, Robin...It's a beautiful day, so far. But, very slow on the autumn-colours front.

Posted

Morning, Robin...It's a beautiful day, so far. But, very slow on the autumn-colours front.

Morning Pete.

Yes, but is that more like it was say 20 or 30 years ago? Maybe the seasons have finally realigned this year?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, winter snow.

Morning all,

Have to say we've done very well, in terms of sunshine, since the thoroughly overcast weekend. And today is no exception. Clear skies here, with just a few cumulus type clouds scudding across from east to west. Currently 14.1° with a slight breeze from the ENE. Not too bad at all really. And even the weekend is looking drier and sunnier than it was a few days ago. I have stuff to do outside tomorrow, and earlier in the week I was thinking "Looks like I'll get drenched on Saturday." Get the feeling I'll stay dry now.

I don't know about anybody else, but this year's spider season is far more "active" than any other I can remember. Never seen so many indoors. And so many webs in the garden. No doubt there's some sort of old wives' tale which says something like "Spiders in September.....expect a light snow shower at 6:37pm on 28th November."

Have a great Friday, folks.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Morning Pete.

Yes, but is that more like it was say 20 or 30 years ago? Maybe the seasons have finally realigned this year?

With the cold spring and warm summer, things do appear to be running more to schedule, this year...Even my lupins, which aren't supposed to flower in their first year, are covered in flowers, now...

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all,

I don't know about anybody else, but this year's spider season is far more "active" than any other I can remember. Never seen so many indoors. And so many webs in the garden.

Morning Lee

I don't know about the spider season being more active - but has anyone else noticed a sharp rise in Crane Flies this year?  I think every evening this week we have had one make it's way into the front room from the open window.  Horrible things!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

nice morning here, lots of sun and just a few cumulus clouds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

The rain threat for this weekend for the SE region has been quite significantly downgraded over the last couple of days or so - although a little showery rain is possible tomorrow for south western parts of the region. In fact it looks quite dry for our part of the world, in general terms, until at least just after the middle of next week when we might start to see rain approaching from the north west - but the timing and extent of this is uncertain at this timePosted Image

Edited by Tamara Road
  • Like 4

Posted

Morning Lee

I don't know about the spider season being more active - but has anyone else noticed a sharp rise in Crane Flies this year?  I think every evening this week we have had one make it's way into the front room from the open window.  Horrible things!

I thought I'd escaped them for the most part until last night, when with the windows open, they descended on every light-source in the house :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, winter snow.

There's probably an old adage for that too.

"Crane flies in the front room......the following summer will be witness to storms full of flash, bang and boom."

OK, I'll stop now! ;-)

Edited by Anvils in the Sky
  • Like 3

Posted

Morning all,

Have to say we've done very well, in terms of sunshine, since the thoroughly overcast weekend. And today is no exception. Clear skies here, with just a few cumulus type clouds scudding across from east to west. Currently 14.1° with a slight breeze from the ENE. Not too bad at all really. And even the weekend is looking drier and sunnier than it was a few days ago. I have stuff to do outside tomorrow, and earlier in the week I was thinking "Looks like I'll get drenched on Saturday." Get the feeling I'll stay dry now.

I don't know about anybody else, but this year's spider season is far more "active" than any other I can remember. Never seen so many indoors. And so many webs in the garden. No doubt there's some sort of old wives' tale which says something like "Spiders in September.....expect a light snow shower at 6:37pm on 28th November."

Have a great Friday, folks.

Hi AITS, the Old Wive's tale to which you refer is actually this:

'When Autumn time is full of spiders

You will need your windscreen wipers"

ie expect a prolonged period of rain over the coming months.

It is nicely countered by this one:

"When Autumn spiders all go missing

The rain will really not be p........" (you can imagine the rest, but it means expect a drought)

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur
  • Like 4

Posted

I thought I'd escaped them for the most part until last night, when with the windows open, they descended on every light-source in the house Posted Image

Yep, we had one last night that decided head butting the light was a good source of fun - the only problem with that was we also had the over head fan wizzing round so it kept dive bombing at us!

"Crane flies in the front room......the following summer will be witness to storms full of flash, bang and boom."

OK, I'll stop now! ;-)

LOL Lee - let's hope so!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

OK, I'll stop now! ;-)

My god that's crap!Posted Image

Wall to wall sunshine here this morning. Everything out and about is very dry again, after the wet interlude a fortnight ago.

• Like 4

Posted

It sounds like it's been stormy on the Model Discussion Thread this morning. What happened?Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Morning all - A lovely bright fresh day here. Looks like the weather is playing ball today, which is good. As i'm off out with my work colleges for an hours long walk, in the nearby country park. We are raising money for the Teenage Cancer Trust, on this National Fitness Day.

Good day to you all :-D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Afternoon all,

Thinking about coming out of my summer hibernation period, I'm getting that autum feeling Posted Image

Edit: its still morning Posted Image

Edited by shotski
  • Like 1

Posted

Afternoon all,

Thinking about coming out of my summer hibernation period, I'm getting that autum feeling Posted Image

Edit: its still morning Posted Image

Well welcome back!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

It sounds like it's been stormy on the Model Discussion Thread this morning. What happened?Posted Image

I think some cold hater got in a strop, I got both barrels for a post I made about a day ago Posted Image

Oh well all sorted now.

Basically it was my fault and I'm not overly sure why Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted

Please read imagining the voice of Ray Winston:

The cold mob started givin' it large and the mild posse hit back 'ard. The word 'Bartlett' was used in anger.  The mild gang upped the ante by dissin the cold mob and mouthing off that they wasn't 'real'.  The cold mob said they was real and they'd prove it and they'd see them behind the bikesheds with offensive charts.  Then the guv'nor came in and cleaned up and it was almost as though nuffink ever 'appened.......  

Edited by abruzzi spur
  • Like 9

Posted

Please read imagining the voice of Ray Winston:

Then the guv'nor came in and cleaned up and it was almost as though nuffink ever 'appened.......  

Yeah I saw that bit. He's the Daddy!Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

post-11316-0-46779000-1380280149_thumb.jCranes, dragons, spiders....

Check out this beauty that came into my life the other night....Dont worry, i didnt kill it, merely gave it a little headache so i could safely eject it from my house...

Sadly shortly after this, I heard it was eaten by a chinese Hornet but thats life

• Like 6

Posted

Thunder storms later?

KentStormChasers â€@KentStormChaser now

ÏŸ Area of thunderstorms expected to affect SW UK this afternoon/evening, chance they could push further E to us as they move up from FranceÏŸ

Expand

Posted

Thunder storms later?KentStormChasers â€@KentStormChaser nowÏŸ Area of thunderstorms expected to affect SW UK this afternoon/evening, chance they could push further E to us as they move up from FranceÏŸExpand

Fingers crossed, although not holding out much hope! 

Talking of thunder, last night (prior to being attacked by the crane fly) me and Mini-Raven heard what we thought was a random roll of thunder at around 8pm.  Turns out it was an explosion across the river in Essex:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-24292707

How silly would I have looked if I came on here last night reporting a thunderstorm!  (well, rumble)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Afternoon from Croydon,

Pleasant and warm here. Some excitement possible for the Brontophiles in the extreme SW/S of our region, starting tomorrow morning for around 24 hours or so. Showers possibly thundery, flirting with the Sussex and Kent coast at times but shouldnt amount to much. I've not called for a COBRA meeting for Brontophobes, just yet.

Hope you all enjoy your POETS day.

I'll just have to be content with my 9.30 finish this evening and same again tomorrow but please dont feel guilty! Lol.

Tom.

• Like 6

Posted

Thunder storms later? 

I'm going to say very unlikely now. Even the SW is only scrapping chances along its Southern coast looking at latest information. (checkout the convective thread for more details)